Controlling my Rough Country Power running boards with a factory switch

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
One of the things I wanted from the limited was the power running boards. Obviously not a choice with the Trd off-road. So I figured to have the best of both worlds. I would just get the Rough Country Power steps and if you have seen those know that they gave you a very cheap looking switch to turn the boards on and off. I couldn’t find the OEM switch for Tacoma, but I did find one for the Tundra. You have to cut off the switch that comes with Rough Country board and connect them to pins to and four. It doesn't carry much current. Just enough to trip a relay in the control box. I made a video, but for some reason it doesn’t wanna upload. I’ll try again in a little while . So glad the Toyota is sharing so many things with the Tundra. The switch isn't cheap, but worth it to me to keep the OE look.

2024 Tacoma Controlling my Rough Country Power running boards with a factory switch IMG_0783
Sponsored

Toy-truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
How do you like the power board? Do it automatically deploy when you open the door and automatically re-deploy when the door close?

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
How do you like the power board? Do it automatically deploy when you open the door and automatically re-deploy when the door close?
The boards are great. Took some time to wire, but not bad. Yes, they deploy when you open the door and come back when you close them. There are magnetic switches you put inside the door, but you don't notice them unless you go looking.

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150

Sponsored

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
I had the Amp research power step on my 3rd gen two times. They are exactly same as the 4th gens factory. I think even the motor is the same item number. The steps looks a little different thats all.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium
I had the Amp research power step on my 3rd gen two times. They are exactly same as the 4th gens factory. I think even the motor is the same item number. The steps looks a little different thats all.
Why two times?

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
bought 1 in 2016 and 2020 traded in for another one.

DGtvman

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Can you measure from the ground to the top of the step with the door open to see how high the step is?

reklov

First Name
@VentureOutTRD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OFF-Road Premium
The limited comes with electric running boards, right? I wonder how much those bad boys run.

Sponsored

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
One of the things I wanted from the limited was the power running boards. Obviously not a choice with the Trd off-road. So I figured to have the best of both worlds. I would just get the Rough Country Power steps and if you have seen those know that they gave you a very cheap looking switch to turn the boards on and off. I couldn’t find the OEM switch for Tacoma, but I did find one for the Tundra. You have to cut off the switch that comes with Rough Country board and connect them to pins to and four. It doesn't carry much current. Just enough to trip a relay in the control box. I made a video, but for some reason it doesn’t wanna upload. I’ll try again in a little while . So glad the Toyota is sharing so many things with the Tundra. The switch isn't cheap, but worth it to me to keep the OE look.

IMG_0783.jpeg
do you have a part number for that switch

Sidrta

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Thanks for posting this information on the switch. I am waiting for the AMP plug and play power running boards to come out (if they ever do). I just can't bring myself to have the magnetic switches attached to the door and door column. The AMP boards use the OBD port to provide the trigger for activation. I am sure the OEM boards on the Limited would be really nice too, but I haven't seen anywhere to purchase them.

Flyfish007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Are you able to keep them deployed with that switch? The one that comes from RC seems like its either "off" or "on".

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Are you able to keep them deployed with that switch? The one that comes from RC seems like its either "off" or "on".
No. It’s on off for now. When I get caught up I’m going to see if I can simulate open doors with wiring. Haven’t had a situation where I wanted to keep them deployed so it’s not a priority right now
Sponsored