Sponsored

Manual Clutch Smell

Groves8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sport+ 6M Tacoma
I've had my Manual TRD Sport since April and I find I still randomly get a clutch smell. I drove a manual civic prior to this truck and literally never smelt my clutch, but I find if I even reverse up a small hit (My driveway) or sometimes from stop to start, I smell the I assume to be the clutch burning? What am I doing wrong, I feel like Im barely getting my RPM's up but maybe Im just noticing. Anyone suggestions if its me, the truck or if they have similar issues.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
The first key is to spend as little time as possible with the clutch not fully engage - that is when it slips and you smell the clutch. In normal use you should never get any slip or clutch odor at all.

But on slopes at low speed that can be tough to do, and I have been driving sticks for years. You probably might need to add more throttle and more quickly release the clutch on hills. Reverse is geared lower than first, which makes your problem more likely to happen. Doing it right is a skill and makes your truck quicker. Learning to manage that stuff is what makes driving a manual worth the effort, and adds a dimension to driving that even a good automatic can't provide.

Driving a lightweight, agile Civic with a high strung engine is a pretty different thing, but it gives you the basics. Your truck is a lot heavier and has much more torque, which makes precise clutch engagement more critical. But being a truck it provides better feedback, making it easier to learn.

Play around with different ways to treat the clutch basically like an on/off switch with the shortest transition in between. It will run stronger and last longer. Take it out in the dirt and you will learn a whole lot faster. Hope that helps.

OP
OP

Groves8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sport+ 6M Tacoma
The first key is to spend as little time as possible with the clutch not fully engage - that is when it slips and you smell the clutch. In normal use you should never get any slip or clutch odor at all.

But on slopes at low speed that can be tough to do, and I have been driving sticks for years. You probably might need to add more throttle and more quickly release the clutch on hills. Reverse is geared lower than first, which makes your problem more likely to happen. Doing it right is a skill and makes your truck quicker. Learning to manage that stuff is what makes driving a manual worth the effort, and adds a dimension to driving that even a good automatic can't provide.

Driving a lightweight, agile Civic with a high strung engine is a pretty different thing, but it gives you the basics. Your truck is a lot heavier and has much more torque, which makes precise clutch engagement more critical. But being a truck it provides better feedback, making it easier to learn.

Play around with different ways to treat the clutch basically like an on/off switch with the shortest transition in between. It will run stronger and last longer. Take it out in the dirt and you will learn a whole lot faster. Hope that helps.
Thanks for that! Yeah, I feel pretty confident with my ability, drove my civic for 7 years. Definitely something for me to improve on but I'm working on it. I'll try to get off the clutch faster on a hill. However, if you don't mind, my driveway is very short but slope backwards, so it's not really possible to fully let go of the clutch just due to the length and speed I'd be going at full release, should I just keep the RPM's low when going up it?
Sponsored