Sponsored

Should I buy a new Taco? Is it affected by the recall?

TacoElgin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Hi guys new here. I recently found a great deal on a long-bed Tacoma and I'm really tempted to buy it. However, I heard there’s been a recent transmission recall. Does this affect all Tacomas, or just certain models? The dealer mentioned that Toyota won’t let them sell the truck if it's affected by the recall. Is that accurate? Anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I don’t think it’s technically a recall, but a TSB. Use the VIN lookup tool and see if thtruck you’re looking at is affected. Apparently the issue only applies to a certain number of trucks manufactured before they discovered the issue.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@TacoElgin I agree about looking up the VIN. If the truck you are looking at is not in one of the ranges you should be fine.

Aisin transmissions in Toyota vehicles are some of the most durable transmissions made. It was bad luck for some buyers that Aisin screwed up, but Toyota is handling the affected trucks. Chances are excellent that most 4th gen transmission will be as reliable as expected.

I love my fourth gen and I say go for it.

Sponsored

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
^^^ This - you're good I just got mine 3 weeks ago and drives like a new vehicles. Almost 700 miles in

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Hi guys new here. I recently found a great deal on a long-bed Tacoma and I'm really tempted to buy it. However, I heard there’s been a recent transmission recall. Does this affect all Tacomas, or just certain models? The dealer mentioned that Toyota won’t let them sell the truck if it's affected by the recall. Is that accurate? Anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks!
Nothing is recalled at this time. The technical service bulletin is used to inform dealers how to handle a confirmed bad transmission issue.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Maybe the dealer knows more then us and a recall is coming?
I've never been impressed with a salesperson's knowledge. In June, I told a salesman I was looking for an OR with the upgrade package and the larger 14" screen.

"The largest screen is twelve and a half inches."

"I'm not talking about the instrument cluster, but the infotainment screen."

"Just twelve and a half inches."

That was my last contact with that dealer. I had a similar experience when I bought my 2016.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yep, you would think sales people would know their products, but it is actually kind of rare in my experience.

The woman who sold me my 4h gen knew more about my truck than any other sales person I have dealt with at a Toyota dealership. She knew a lot about trucks and not just Tacomas. When she didn't know she didn't lie and just admitted that she didn't know. I have heard a lot of bad information from sales people and I usually just expect their ignorance.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And why would you buy a truck that could possibly have transmission issues down the line? How do you sell them—huge discounts? Complimentary extended warranties? It's safe to say a large number of new vehicle buyers are purchasing new to avoid major issues they may have been experiencing with their previous vehicles.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
All true @WKTJR1. I asked myself those same questions because this problem exploded during the time from my allocation to delivery. By delivery day I was comfortable going back to trusting Toyota, but a vehicle in the VIN range would be a different matter.

So far my truck is perfect in every way, including almost undetectable shifts.

Last edited:

Dataman

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 1st Gen Toyota Tacoma
I've had my Taco since early June and have not had a single issue with it yet. It purrs like a kitten and goes when I ask it to!
Sponsored