Power Running Boards

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
A stretch I know, but does anybody have experience with power running boards in severe winter weather? Does road ice/snow accumulating under/on them render them inoperative? I really desire these for the wife, and I think the fixed running boards will be too high from the ground for her, but better them than frozen-in-place power running boards.
Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
A stretch I know, but does anybody have experience with power running boards in severe winter weather? Does road ice/snow accumulating under/on them render them inoperative? I really desire these for the wife, and I think the fixed running boards will be too high from the ground for her, but better them than frozen-in-place power running boards.
They do get stuck. How often depends on snow and temp?

OP
OP

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
They do get stuck. How often depends on snow and temp?
Hmmm. We usually get 3-5 feet of snow/year, and it remains all winter. Temperature, well, it also remains below freezing usually all winter, dropping down below zero F many nights. On our present vehicle with fixed running boards plenty of snow/ice accumulates on the underside and I knock as much off as possible. However, it is garaged, and any ice/snow melts off therein. Initial thought, it doesn't sound good for power running boards.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm. We usually get 3-5 feet of snow/year, and it remains all winter. Temperature, well, it also remains below freezing usually all winter, dropping down below zero F many nights. On our present vehicle with fixed running boards plenty of snow/ice accumulates on the underside and I knock as much off as possible. However, it is garaged, and any ice/snow melts off therein. Initial thought, it doesn't sound good for power running boards.
About the same weather here.. I’ve never owned a set but seen plenty stuck. Most people that have them here won’t buy them again.

OP
OP

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
About the same weather here.. I’ve never owned a set but seen plenty stuck. Most people that have them here won’t buy them again.
Thanks! That helps with the decision if they are offered. Come to think of it, the neighbor has them on their vehicle, and I no longer notice them being functional. Not a Toyota, but nevertheless...

Sponsored

Tom59

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Tundra ISE, 2012 CT200h, 2015 NX 200t
Hopefully, they set them up so you can just leave them in the down position.

Hokey

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 tacoma
[
I had them on a ram pickup for 3 years. No problems loved them. Plan to get em on a new tacoma.

OP
OP

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
[
I had them on a ram pickup for 3 years. No problems loved them. Plan to get em on a new tacoma.
Do you live in a severe winter region, i.e. where ice tends to build up under the vehicle, in particular on/under the power running boards?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Thanks! However, compared our winters, that is not any snow to speak of. Here the ice/snow builds up behind the front wheels until there is a large block nearly dragging the ground. Still, I am optimistic.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! However, compared our winters, that is not any snow to speak of. Here the ice/snow builds up behind the front wheels until there is a large block nearly dragging the ground. Still, I am optimistic.
These have dual motors. Might work?
Sponsored