Missing parts on new truck.

TSTSleeper

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Limited, 2016 TRD Sport
Hi everyone. I’m new here and looking for some advice with a situation I have with my dealer or Toyota. I’m hoping there may be some Toyota insiders that may have information or recommendations.

Apologies for the long post.

I purchased a 2024 limited last week. It had some added optional equipment that is often referred to as port added options. One of these being the Toyota roof rack. I will be using my truck to transport kayaks and canoes so I thought this would be a good option to have but planned on removing it for daily driver use. One of the first questions I asked my salesperson, if I removed the rack are the trim pieces to cover the mount points included? He said yes and looked around the truck for them. He also asked the Prep Tech if he had seen them. I pushed through with the sales process and brought the truck home and forgot about the trim pieces that day, never really thinking it would be a big deal. The next day I removed the rack and emailed my salesperson about this issue.

I got this response: Apparently, the plug for the Roof Rack are not available as yet. Toyota is not making them as yet.

My response: This isn’t an acceptable answer. The trim was installed on the truck at the factory. They were removed when the roof rack was installed at the distributor. They were lost or misplaced at the port, during transit or during prep. If you cannot help, please escalate to your manager.

His response: I spoke to my manager already about this issue. Unfortunately, Toyota does not make the part as yet.

I followed up with a phone call explaining why this didn’t make any sense to me. We ended with the agreement his manager will call me. But no call yet.

Does this make any sense? How can parts be used at the factory but not available? What should the next steps be? Should I go up the chain of command at the dealer? Is there a Toyota North America rep or national customer service I could contact? Does anyone know the part number for these parts?

I installed some cap screws with rubber washers to protect the exposed threads. It's been raining a lot around here. :)

Thanks in advance.

Greg

2024 Tacoma Missing parts on new truck. 4G roof
2024 Tacoma Missing parts on new truck. close u
2024 Tacoma Missing parts on new truck. sticker
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Your dealer needs to contact their distributor rep and try to get the trim pieces that they remove from another truck they install a rack on. I don't think I have ever heard of the parts removed being shipped with the truck.

Lonewolf90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hi everyone. I’m new here and looking for some advice with a situation I have with my dealer or Toyota. I’m hoping there may be some Toyota insiders that may have information or recommendations.

Apologies for the long post.

I purchased a 2024 limited last week. It had some added optional equipment that is often referred to as port added options. One of these being the Toyota roof rack. I will be using my truck to transport kayaks and canoes so I thought this would be a good option to have but planned on removing it for daily driver use. One of the first questions I asked my salesperson, if I removed the rack are the trim pieces to cover the mount points included? He said yes and looked around the truck for them. He also asked the Prep Tech if he had seen them. I pushed through with the sales process and brought the truck home and forgot about the trim pieces that day, never really thinking it would be a big deal. The next day I removed the rack and emailed my salesperson about this issue.

I got this response: Apparently, the plug for the Roof Rack are not available as yet. Toyota is not making them as yet.

My response: This isn’t an acceptable answer. The trim was installed on the truck at the factory. They were removed when the roof rack was installed at the distributor. They were lost or misplaced at the port, during transit or during prep. If you cannot help, please escalate to your manager.

His response: I spoke to my manager already about this issue. Unfortunately, Toyota does not make the part as yet.

I followed up with a phone call explaining why this didn’t make any sense to me. We ended with the agreement his manager will call me. But no call yet.

Does this make any sense? How can parts be used at the factory but not available? What should the next steps be? Should I go up the chain of command at the dealer? Is there a Toyota North America rep or national customer service I could contact? Does anyone know the part number for these parts?

I installed some cap screws with rubber washers to protect the exposed threads. It's been raining a lot around here. :)

Thanks in advance.

Greg

4G roof.jpg
close up.jpg
sticker.jpg
I worked for a dealership for many years. There is no reason why the covers would or should be included in your vehicle since it was a distributor installed option. It is the same if they install different rims and tires, they wouldn't include the originals. The only way you would get those is if you had it installed at your dealership and you asked them to set them aside. Natively these options are not intended to be removed as you have done. You most likely will have to wait until they are available to purchase through your parts department.

OP
OP
TSTSleeper

TSTSleeper

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said above. The first thing I asked about "were the trim pieces included?" The answer I got was "yes". I probably would have moved on to a different dealer with a Limited in stock if they were honest with me.
I have no problem purchasing the parts.
I don't understand that they are telling me they are unavailable. To build every truck these parts have to be picked to be included in the build. In order to do this the part needs a SKU number (part number).
I worked for one of the largest global technology OEMs for over 20 years. I am very familiar with global manufacturing and parts logistics. If a part exists, it has a part number.

On another note. Should there be be complete paint coverage around the roof mounting bolt area that would be under the trim? Mine does not. I can see the primer exposed in those areas.
I will include a pic if it ever stops raining.

OP
OP
TSTSleeper

TSTSleeper

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I spoke to the sales manager and he and the parts manager are working on getting the parts for me.
Sponsored