Sponsored

Front tow points usage: Towing? Recovery?

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
So at least we have front tow points on the Tacoma. How comfortable should I be using them for gentle recovery out of sand. Is that a no-go? I also have a hitch receiver recovery point to use. Figured i'd ask the forum. Going on some trips to the beach and just wondering what the options are.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the factory tow points. I see NYTOP is selling front recovery points as well. It looks like those just bolt up to the same location as the factory tow point. Is the difference just in the quality/rating of the tow point?
Sponsored

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
Front tow points are great if you are stuck and need to be pulled out of something. The rating on the OEM tow points is enough to safely winch yourself out of mud with a pulley.

If you're stuck in mud or sand and don't have a winch a capable vehicle can use kinetic ropes and a soft hitch on the front tow points to yank you out. I have a recovery set that includes some Yankem Ropes, they're pretty great and safer to use than chains or regular ropes.

They're also handy for tie-down points if you're camping out of your truck.

OP
OP

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Front tow points are great if you are stuck and need to be pulled out of something. The rating on the OEM tow points is enough to safely winch yourself out of mud with a pulley.

If you're stuck in mud or sand and don't have a winch a capable vehicle can use kinetic ropes and a soft hitch on the front tow points to yank you out. I have a recovery set that includes some MORR Yankem Ropes, they're pretty great and safer to use than chains or regular ropes.

They're also handy for tie-down points if you're camping out of your truck.
Yeah, this would be light duty get out of some sand with a kinetic rope and soft shackles. Just wanting to know if that is a complete no-go. I've seen in other forum posts to never use the front tow hooks for recovery purposes. I'd default to using the recovery receiver hitch though before using the front tow points.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
I've seen in other forum posts to never use the front tow hooks for recovery purposes.
It's perfectly fine to use them for recovery. The OEM tow points are connected directly to the frame.

2024 Tacoma Front tow points usage:  Towing? Recovery? IMG_8457

2024 Tacoma Front tow points usage:  Towing? Recovery? IMG_8459

They're perfect for soft shackles.

The only thing I would think would be a problem is that you might scuff up the plastic scrape guard under the bumper.

OP
OP

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
It's perfectly fine to use them for recovery. The OEM tow points are connected directly to the frame.

IMG_8457.jpg

IMG_8459.jpg

They're perfect for soft shackles.

The only thing I would think would be a problem is that you might scuff up the plastic scrape guard under the bumper.

Yeah it certainly is not much clearance for the plastic guard but its also flexible. I'd think using a soft shackle wouldn't damage it unless there is a steep angle from the recovery point up to the recovery vehicle.
Sponsored