Key Stuck/Eaten btw Glove Box and Air Bag

Kblitz

First Name
Keelan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Offroad
So this was very bizarre, my friend had his keys in the glove box and somehow one of the keys managed to fall in between the bottom slit of the glove box so the key was sticking about 1/4 of the way out of the bottom. After trying to free the key by finding the sweet spot the key ended up completely disappearing into the slit btw the glove box and the airbag compartment directly underneath.

Does anyone know how to remove the glove box so I can retrieve the lost key? We were both in shock that the key managed to find the tiniest slit in the glove box and go missing into the car šŸ˜‚. Any tips or tricks is greatly appreciated.

Side note: donā€™t put your keys in the glove box so this doesnā€™t happen to you. Thanks!
Sponsored

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4th gen TRD Sport 6MT
So this was very bizarre, my friend had his keys in the glove box and somehow one of the keys managed to fall in between the bottom slit of the glove box so the key was sticking about 1/4 of the way out of the bottom. After trying to free the key by finding the sweet spot the key ended up completely disappearing into the slit btw the glove box and the airbag compartment directly underneath.

Does anyone know how to remove the glove box so I can retrieve the lost key? We were both in shock that the key managed to find the tiniest slit in the glove box and go missing into the car šŸ˜‚. Any tips or tricks is greatly appreciated.

Side note: donā€™t put your keys in the glove box so this doesnā€™t happen to you. Thanks!
Greetings from Texas Kbitz,
just curious, what kind of keys are they, and what do they lock & unlock ? ? ? Pictures ? ? ?

OP
OP
Kblitz

Kblitz

First Name
Keelan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Offroad
Itā€™s just a regular key, looks like this šŸ”‘. But it goes to a lock for something important

COcurmudgeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma DCSB
Itā€™s just a regular key, looks like this šŸ”‘. But it goes to a lock for something important

I doubt you need to remove the whole glovebox/SRS assembly, there isnā€™t much back there anyway. Start by removing the plastic cover containing the passenger footwell lights- just 3 or 4 clips you can push with your finger and it drops to the floor. Then use a flashlight and mirror to peer behind the SRS assy if the key hasnā€™t already fallen out with the plastic cover!

OP
OP
Kblitz

Kblitz

First Name
Keelan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Offroad
I doubt you need to remove the whole glovebox/SRS assembly, there isnā€™t much back there anyway. Start by removing the plastic cover containing the passenger footwell lights- just 3 or 4 clips you can push with your finger and it drops to the floor. Then use a flashlight and mirror to peer behind the SRS assy if the key hasnā€™t already fallen out with the plastic cover!

yes I tried that but didnā€™t seem to have any luck locating the key, I believe that it is stuck towards the upper portion of the airbag compartment. I think if I can get the glove box piece off I could retrieve it, but donā€™t know how to do that

Sponsored

COcurmudgeon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma DCSB
2024 Tacoma Key Stuck/Eaten btw Glove Box and Air Bag IMG_0338
2024 Tacoma Key Stuck/Eaten btw Glove Box and Air Bag IMG_0338
yes I tried that but didnā€™t seem to have any luck locating the key, I believe that it is stuck towards the upper portion of the airbag compartment. I think if I can get the glove box piece off I could retrieve it, but donā€™t know how to do that
Thatā€™s going to make a lot of extra work for yourself, does the key fit one of these?

jaslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter Long Bed
If you can't shake it loose, It's easier to unhook the air bag assembly (it's a whole unit, no need to disassemble or unplug) than to remove the glove box. I had to get behind there to inspect a dealer installed "security alarm" over the weekend

General steps going by memory are :
  1. remove plastic face trim from under the airbag secured with plastic tabs you press
  2. Remove door trim (2 pieces iirc ), start with the plastic "nut" that's hand removable then trim pieces just pulls off with standard trim tabs
  3. remove the console side trim (2 or 3 pieces iirc) just pulls off with standard trim tabs
  4. Remove 3 screws from under the airbag assembly
  5. Lift the airbag assembly that's hooked onto the chassis

This should give you plenty of space to get behind there.
Sponsored