2024 Tacoma TRD Pro Full Transmission Replacement After 342 Miles

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
For me, the guess : A batch of torque converters were manufactured improperly and these are failing under use.

and if the issue is resolved, with a new updated torque converter- great.

or if another component is failing and the torque converter is getting damaged due to debris that can pass into the transmission.

if metal is found in a transmission, I would advocate for a transmission replacement due to solid metal contamination that can damage panetary gears, etc. it may only show up tens of thousands of miles later.

I do agree that Toyota should be transparent about how they are addressing this now and if this is a production date issue, or an ongoing issue until they have a fix.
Sponsored

guterz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
My dealer noted that it would take approximately 4 months for me to get a transmission replacement after gears 1-5 failed, so I decided to trade it in for a new Tacoma instead of waiting that long in a rental. Not the best decision financially, but they did me a solid on the trade. Posted about it on Reddit here.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@guterez Four months! That is crazy and sets a new record AFAIK.

So you traded in your dead OR for a new Tacoma? What did you get?

guterz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

I traded in my SR5 for a TRD Off Road. Overall I’m pretty happy getting a version with a rear locker but I will miss the 6 foot bed.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
So my timeline looks like this - transmission failed on 7/8 - due to being 180 miles out of town, it took a few days to get it to my dealer, so they weren't able to confirm a transmission failure until 7/15 (Toyota engineers had them doing different tests before they would authorize the warranty). From there I was told the transmission would come in 8/18. On 7/29 the new transmission arrived, but then we were told a new torque converter would also need to be ordered before they could install the new transmission. The Torque converter was given an ETA of 8/28, but arrived 8/15. They're the same part. I was told I should have my truck back by 8/20 now.

@TacoFreak Don't let these forums and doom posters on youtube sway you. I cannot wait to get my truck back, before the failure, it was great and I'm sure it will be even better once it's back in my hands. You need to keep in mind that these forums and youtube in general act as a megaphone for user complaints and issues but for the general public, these issues are far and few between.

Sponsored

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
So my timeline looks like this - transmission failed on 7/8 - due to being 180 miles out of town, it took a few days to get it to my dealer, so they weren't able to confirm a transmission failure until 7/15 (Toyota engineers had them doing different tests before they would authorize the warranty). From there I was told the transmission would come in 8/18. On 7/29 the new transmission arrived, but then we were told a new torque converter would also need to be ordered before they could install the new transmission. The Torque converter was given an ETA of 8/28, but arrived 8/15. They're the same part. I was told I should have my truck back by 8/20 now.

@TacoFreak Don't let these forums and doom posters on youtube sway you. I cannot wait to get my truck back, before the failure, it was great and I'm sure it will be even better once it's back in my hands. You need to keep in mind that these forums and youtube in general act as a megaphone for user complaints and issues but for the general public, these issues are far and few between.
my truck was in the shop for 27 days before I picked up. New trans and torque converter. They failed at 5000 miles. I’ve driven 200 miles since I’ve had it back. Shifts smooth. I’m still a lil scared to be stranded. But I’m gonna put it through its paces. Had a rental 2022 Tacoma. And damn I missed driving the 4th gen. Fingers crossed Toyota identified the problem and this doesn’t happen to any of us again.

IMG_5424.jpeg

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5

So I just got off the phone with Toyota corporate and filed a concern that we customers are looking for answers. I urge you to do the same. The more of us that call the faster they’ll have to take action

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
my truck was in the shop for 27 days before I picked up. New trans and torque converter. They failed at 5000 miles. I’ve driven 200 miles since I’ve had it back. Shifts smooth. I’m still a lil scared to be stranded. But I’m gonna put it through its paces. Had a rental 2022 Tacoma. And damn I missed driving the 4th gen. Fingers crossed Toyota identified the problem and this doesn’t happen to any of us again.

IMG_5424.jpeg
Glad yours is fixed but for the rest of us we’re driving with this in the back of our minds. It’s time Toyota tell us who’s affected by this and fix it before more people are left stranded. Especially for those of us who bought early model months before they figured out the issue. Example mine was built in March. It’s not fair to leave us wondering

OP
OP
fostuhh

fostuhh

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Pro Tacoma

Hoping mine randomly shows up at this point. Initially got the news 7/29 for a new transmission, and 21st was the end of their ETA and now it's supposedly pushed back to September. I've been nice with them up until this point but I am about to lose it lol...

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@fostuhh If I were in your position I could see losing it about now. There is probably not much that the dealer can do, but have you jerked Toyota's chain a bit? It might not help but it would make you feel better and let them know that we all think they are letting us down on this.

OP
OP
fostuhh

fostuhh

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Pro Tacoma
@fostuhh If I were in your position I could see losing it about now. There is probably not much that the dealer can do, but have you jerked Toyota's chain a bit? It might not help but it would make you feel better and let them know that we all think they are letting us down on this.
Yeah I have been. I now have a regional rep who has been handling things with me. So, once the dealer calls me and gives me the ETA, I will be going right to that rep and saying WTF.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Yeah I have been. I now have a regional rep who has been handling things with me. So, once the dealer calls me and gives me the ETA, I will be going right to that rep and saying WTF.
Yeah, I would definitely keep the pressure on the rep. I had to deal with one once, and the guy was an absolute jerk. Remember, they represent Toyota, and their decisions are based on that. He's the direct link to corporate. You have an expensive truck that's out of commission, you're paying for it monthly, and nobody seems to be able to tell you when it will be fixed. At this point, nobody has any credibility.

OP
OP
fostuhh

fostuhh

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 TRD Pro Tacoma
Yeah, I would definitely keep the pressure on the rep. I had to deal with one once, and the guy was an absolute jerk. Remember, they represent Toyota, and their decisions are based on that. He's the direct link to corporate. You have an expensive truck that's out of commission, you're paying for it monthly, and nobody seems to be able to tell you when it will be fixed. At this point, nobody has any credibility.
Definitely. Luckily she's been great so far so let's hope that trend continues. I'll keep this updated with any changes!

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Sorry to hear it and we can all say it is anecdotal unless it is our truck. Just hit 5000 on my Off road. Changed my own oil with a OEM filter and mobile one 0w-20. Took it in and they rotated the tires and told about a recall on the load capacity label.

I have not had any issues (knock wood) on my truck, not even the dreaded active grill shutter which was happening 6 months ago when I took delivery on Feb 16.

I think it has been said that Toyota is tracking the claims on all issues like this and they will issue actions if the numbers hit statistical significance. I know it sucks but there is an acceptable number of failures for all of these components for all makes and models and unless the data shows a number above that they will continue to fix them as they occur.
Sponsored