• ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
Sponsored

Texas 255/80/17 and Gearing

Hi-Ho-Silver

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Hello
First post for me.
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Daily Driver/Part-time Overlander

I am no expert in truck mechanics, hoping to get some sound advice/feedback from others with more experience.

Looking to change tires on my 24’ TRDOR from the stock 265/70/17 to a 255/80/17. My concern is the gearing or final drive ratio. Does gearing need to be changed from the stock 3.58 to a bigger gear, say 3.73 or 4.10 to accommodate the larger mass of the 255’s?

Anyone change the gearing after tire swap?
Sponsored

n118nw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco OR Premium
Hello
First post for me.
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Daily Driver/Part-time Overlander

I am no expert in truck mechanics, hoping to get some sound advice/feedback from others with more experience.

Looking to change tires on my 24’ TRDOR from the stock 265/70/17 to a 255/80/17. My concern is the gearing or final drive ratio. Does gearing need to be changed from the stock 3.58 to a bigger gear, say 3.73 or 4.10 to accommodate the larger mass of the 255’s?

Anyone change the gearing after tire swap?
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

1724869222638-uu.png

You're only going up 4.6% in size and I don't know about weight, but with our 8 speeds and lots of low end torque, there's no need to regear. I went up to a 285/70-17 and didn't feel any power loss. People have gone up to 35's and higher without regearing. I'm not too familiar with our gears though, I don't know of anyone who makes aftermarket gears.

OP
OP

Hi-Ho-Silver

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

1724869222638-uu.png

You're only going up 4.6% in size and I don't know about weight, but with our 8 speeds and lots of low end torque, there's no need to regear. I went up to a 285/70-17 and didn't feel any power loss. People have gone up to 35's and higher without regearing. I'm not too familiar with our gears though, I don't know of anyone who makes aftermarket gears.
n118nw,

Appreciate the response. Honestly for all the tire threads I have researched here, I’ve not seen a mention of re-gearing at all, so hopefully that is because it’s a non issue.

My first Taco and so far, I love the truck.
Sponsored