Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
Curious with the amount of off-roading you do, why you didn't get the SDM option?

Was your decision to go with pizza cutters based on the spare underneath or other considerations?
The only place I had to remove the front sway bar or at least it was an issue was the Rubicon. I find as I get older I like challenging trails but not as hard core so I don't see the need for me. I did look to see if I could retrofit it later on and the youtube videos said you could. I always am open to changing my mind. I haven't had an issue with my 200 series, but that has the KDSS system. Before that I had an IFS 100 series LC and it wasn't an issue then either. However, if it was available on the trim I picked with the same delivery, I likely would have gotten it.

This video played a big part of my decision. Bear in mind the stock truck comes with a 10.4 inch tire. This is only 0.4 thinner. The spare was an extra benefit in my evaluation. If the narrower tires would not perform as well (per sources), then I would have gone with 285 70 17's like others have done. This video and other sites convinced me I may actually get better performance. If true, then a win-win with the extra benefit of the spare that I should find out in a couple of weeks. Next week I am going to Ouray in the Land Cruiser. Doing Imogene, Ophir, Black Bear, Alpine Loop, Corkscrew and maybe squeeze in something else :). That is why that will have to wait.

With tires, if they don't do well you can always change them later.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Just a little about me so people know where I am coming from. I lead trails at National Events in Moab and Ouray and have been doing so for over 20 years.

I bought my first Land Cruiser in 1979, a 1974 FJ40. I have been a moderator on IH8MUD for 20 years.

I have done the Rubicon
IMG_8254.jpg

Flat Nasty in Missouri
Flat Nasty Day 1 034.jpg

Black Hills
P1010296.JPG

Lots of trails in Ouray-lead several every year
20160904_110653.jpg

Many Trails in Moab- lead several every year
200 Ava.jpg

Lots of places throughout Colorado
Ken Taylor.jpg

I have an off road camper I bought from Australia - I take all over
IMG_5565.JPG

20230926_185257.jpg

I also have an RTT I take on trips the camper isn't allowed (by permit) like the Maze
DSC04000.JPG

and lots of other trails

I am setting up the Tacoma to be able to go the same places I take my Land Cruiser. This is why I chuckled when it was commented my Tacoma would be a Grocery getter
I love the classic land cruiser. Just a beautiful vehicle. I wish we could get them here.

hemlockz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD Offroad 6MT
Wow that's a nice deal, worth driving from Idaho for! It looks like they still have a couple Bronze Oxide and other Offroad Premiums in stock, 3,700 off! Unless they didn't take yours off the site yet :) I've been browsing all year and its probably the best deal I've seen. Any other extra taxes or fees come up at signing?

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$399 doc fee and 34 other fees. I worked with them not to take state tax as I will pay it locally when I register the vehicle. Fredy Diaz was my salesman

Mine isn't on the site

Sponsored

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have any direct side shots with the new tires?
What I took so far is in Post #10. Ill see if I have time before I head out to Ouray. Taking the Land Cruiser.

Bronze Oxide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Tacoma ordered a 2024 Tacoma
That bronze oxide color is perfect on the new Tacoma! Congratulations on your new truck!

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There were two things I didn't like. The short exhaust and the lack of a full size spare. I wouldn't feel comfortable offroad with the smaller temp spare. The exhaust would get smacked and damaged the way it sits

So I removed the back end of the exhaust and installed Toyota part #PT226-35241-AA, offroad tail pipe. It did remove the resonator and I will have to see how the exhaust sounds
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 1722962938544-um

2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_100451
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_102523

I bought a stock TRD Off Road RIM even though the tire would fit on the steel rim. I also bought the same tire I replaced the stock ones with, a 33.1" tire 255 80 r17
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_103905
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_103233
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_103254

Looking at it now, it does seem to sit a bit to the right side. It is in there tight with no movement so that is OK. I haven't tried to adjust it.

The other benefit is the exhaust does not run near the spare tire. I will put these away until I am fully satisfied before getting rid of them
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_103359

2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_103925

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the faceplate and also the microphone using zip ties for the microphone holder

Thinking of running the main unit under the rear seat. Still pondering.
I ran the wires from the engine bay back to the rear cab, but haven't hooked them up yet. Left the fuse out of the fuse holder for safety

I ordered the ditch light brackets from Victory offroad for the antenna mount
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 1722981726087-6l
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_150529
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240806_150537

Sponsored
OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There have been a few Tacomas that have broke the shock top. ICON had one and did some testing and came up with a fix. This is all documented in other threads and I am just repeating here for completness

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2Be4jAj_w

I ordered a set as looks like cheap insurance and they do look robust and easy to install.

The video shows the problem and how to install the fix. I wonder if the 250 has a similar design
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 1723678664766-ff

2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 1723678689519-bw

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a separate topic. I am used to parking Land Cruisers with Bull bars and a bit shorter wheel base. With the shape of the hood, it is a guess where the actual edge of the fender is, but I will get use to it. Takes time to become one with the vehicle :)

I am glad I got the premium as the birds eye view can engage any time with the push of a button and it lets me know when I am good between the parking lines. All the cameras and algorithms are pretty cool

The safety sensors are real good at letting me know when I am close to something and automatically turns on the camera view.

The rear cameras look for traffic on the sides in a parking lot and pedestrians and display the item and direction with arrows. They will even brake if it thinks you won't in time backing out with a car coming up the lane :)
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 1723678855956-7h

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
On a separate topic. I am used to parking Land Cruisers with Bull bars and a bit shorter wheel base. With the shape of the hood, it is a guess where the actual edge of the fender is, but I will get use to it. Takes time to become one with the vehicle :)

I am glad I got the premium as the birds eye view can engage any time with the push of a button and it lets me know when I am good between the parking lines. All the cameras and algorithms are pretty cool

The safety sensors are real good at letting me know when I am close to something and automatically turns on the camera view.

The rear cameras look for traffic on the sides in a parking lot and pedestrians and display the item and direction with arrows. They will even brake if it thinks you won't in time backing out with a car coming up the lane :)
1723678855956-7h.png
They'll also brake for you backing out your garage too 😉
Sponsored