AsianTaco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Hello all!

Needed some feedback about deciding on buying the new 2024 Tacoma or a used 2018 4runner. The main reason why I need a pickup truck/full size SUV is to tow a Bayliner 21 ft. boat that I am going purchase. Package weight is about 3500 lbs (i.e. boat and trailer weight combined). To help understand my dilemma (if you can call it so) I am going to share my love and hate list:

Tacoma SR5 Love: The utility of a pickup truck, chicks will think I am hot, new tech, and better fuel economy. Hate: Too expensive @$ 600/month not including insurance ($50,000, includes tow packages). Not sure about the reliability given the new engine. Small rear seats but will be enough fit all 6 of my Asian ladies. Will need a truck cap since I will be storing lots of camping gear - woks, boxes of soy sauce... the usual camping stuff.

4 runner Love: Within budget @$300/month (will cost me $30,000) 40k miles, well maintained by dealer. Mr. Car Care Nut says this is one of the best made SUV by Toyota. I really respect his advice and knowledge when it comes to Toyota automobiles. Lots of room in the rear. No need for a truck cap. Hate: Gas guzzler, chicks will think I am an old goat. Older tech but that might be good. Lesser things to fail i.m.o. Can't throw a snow blower in the back. I guess my Asian Aunt can fit but she won't go in willingly.

For those who own 4runners and have a boat, what are your experiences? It appears that I would need to install a Redarc brake controller since these don't come with it. I don't think I will have problems towing/hauling, correct? Those with the 3.5 Tacos hauling boats, what were your experiences?
Sponsored

MisterFlabby

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Hello all!

Needed some feedback about deciding on buying the new 2024 Tacoma or a used 2018 4runner. The main reason why I need a pickup truck/full size SUV is to tow a Bayliner 21 ft. boat that I am going purchase. Package weight is about 3500 lbs (i.e. boat and trailer weight combined). To help understand my dilemma (if you can call it so) I am going to share my love and hate list:

Tacoma SR5 Love: The utility of a pickup truck, chicks will think I am hot, new tech, and better fuel economy. Hate: Too expensive @$ 600/month not including insurance ($50,000, includes tow packages). Not sure about the reliability given the new engine. Small rear seats but will be enough fit all 6 of my Asian ladies. Will need a truck cap since I will be storing lots of camping gear - woks, boxes of soy sauce... the usual camping stuff.

4 runner Love: Within budget @$300/month (will cost me $30,000) 40k miles, well maintained by dealer. Mr. Car Care Nut says this is one of the best made SUV by Toyota. I really respect his advice and knowledge when it comes to Toyota automobiles. Lots of room in the rear. No need for a truck cap. Hate: Gas guzzler, chicks will think I am an old goat. Older tech but that might be good. Lesser things to fail i.m.o. Can't throw a snow blower in the back. I guess my Asian Aunt can fit but she won't go in willingly.

For those who own 4runners and have a boat, what are your experiences? It appears that I would need to install a Redarc brake controller since these don't come with it. I don't think I will have problems towing/hauling, correct? Those with the 3.5 Tacos hauling boats, what were your experiences?
On your trailer, do you have trailer brakes? Or is it just a 4 pin connection?

OP
OP
AsianTaco

AsianTaco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
I am going to try to get my hands on a trailer with caliper brakes (7 pin). Plan to tow my boat up to Kawartha Lakes, northeast of Toronto, if you are familiar. Driving on the QEW or 407 ETR is like formula 1 racing. Need good brakes!

MisterFlabby

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I am going to try to get my hands on a trailer with caliper brakes (7 pin). Plan to tow my boat up to Kawartha Lakes, northeast of Toronto, if you are familiar. Driving on the QEW or 407 ETR is like formula 1 racing. Need good brakes!
I am very aware, I live in Barrie, and have lots of experience towing boats. Sight lines are important when towing, and the 4Runner has large sight lines whereas the Tacoma has very small sight lines. Both trucks have the 7 pin connection so both work in theory. I would say go with whatever drives better and feels more responsive 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
AsianTaco

AsianTaco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Good point! Just wondering for those who own 4Runners SR5, is a trans cooler an option on those and will it be needed?
Sponsored