Sponsored

Duratracs extremely slippery in rain, common for most ATs?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
As the title suggests. Went to turn right at a light and took the turn like I was someone competing in Formula Drift, hardly even hit the gas.

Googling it appears rain is Duratracs kryptonite, cool, I hate these tires anyways and wanted to switch to possibly KO2.

Is it common for ATs to be INCREDIBLY slippery in rain or just Duratracs? I swear if the temperature was any colder I would've said it was black ice the way my truck reacted.
Sponsored

reklov

First Name
@VentureOutTRD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OFF-Road Premium
Wildpeaks and open country at3 are supposed to handle good in rain. I had wildpeaks and they were great. They weigh more than the open country tires so I’m trying these out on my 4g

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
My experience over time and multiple brand/model combo is the general AT characteristics of large lugs and tear-resistant rubber are not the best in rain.

In the short time I've had my Tacoma OEM Trail-Terrain TA I've been fairly impressed with balancing on/off pavement plus some big rains. They might not be good for a serious off road enthusiast or hobbyist, but seem like they will great for my frequent off road driving more for work than a hobby.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Thanks folks, at the end of the day it's not a deal breaker for me given the little amount of rain I ever see here (it actually makes for some fun, got to drift the Taco a little a lot today, give me a little taste of what I can expect this winter) 🤣, as long as whatever AT I pick handles well in deep snow and fairly decent on dry pavement I'll be happy.

Just find these Duratracs extremely heavy given my gas milage hit, otherwise I'm quite happy.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
I previously owned Nitto Terra Grappler G2s to try to save weight and stick with a decent brand. Huge mistake. They were also terrible in wet conditions and felt hazardous at times. I could slide on command in rain with an AWD Jeep GC.

So far so good with the stock BFGs A/Ts in rain. Hoping to get a couple winters out of them before upgrading to Falkens or KO3s.

Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I'm SO impressed with the Michelin CrossClimate2 we have on other vehicles that I'd like something similar for the light truck size. Their wide space to the outside made our Subaru considerably better when the ski area service roads are muddy over other 3PMSF tires.

Sadly, it doesn't appear the OEM on TRD OR pickups has 3PMSF seal. I noticed there are two part numbers. We don't all live in similar places but WOW have I loved the new era year-round 3PMSF tires, or at least our having the Michelin CC2 on 3 different vehicles.

These are the two part numbers I found and my guess is the one with "TOY" must be the OEM tires.

265/70R17 115S TOY BSW
265/70R17 115T ORWL

Sorry if the more versatile tires chat is raining on the parade for extreme hobbyists, but I'm doing unpaved driving more task and work related than extreme recreation type. Ski area service roads, and access for MTB trail work in same vehicle that has to cover some freeway distances.

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
I'm SO impressed with the Michelin CrossClimate2 we have on other vehicles that I'd like something similar for the light truck size. Their wide space to the outside made our Subaru considerably better when the ski area service roads are muddy over other 3PMSF tires.

Sadly, it doesn't appear the OEM on TRD OR pickups has 3PMSF seal. I noticed there are two part numbers. We don't all live in similar places but WOW have I loved the new era year-round 3PMSF tires, or at least our having the Michelin CC2 on 3 different vehicles.

These are the two part numbers I found and my guess is the one with "TOY" must be the OEM tires.

265/70R17 115S TOY BSW
265/70R17 115T ORWL

Sorry if the more versatile tires chat is raining on the parade for extreme hobbyists, but I'm doing unpaved driving more task and work related than extreme recreation type. Ski area service roads, and access for MTB trail work in same vehicle that has to cover some freeway distances.
I live in the northern Virginia area I have the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on my wife's Camry, and they are awesome!

As for my new 2024 TRD Sport. I was hoping that Michelin would offer their new Defender LTX Platinum in a 265/65R18 size, but no dice so far.
Sponsored