Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
This all in one is perfect for my needs, offering the utility of an open bed truck and the covered hauling my van provided. It's easy to remove with a cotter pin on each side and takes up minimal space when stored in the bed. It reminds me of my days as a flatbed and equipment hauler where tarps, bars, and straps could greatly change what a trailer could do.

Fas-Top, made by Bismarck Canvas, has a long history, primarily serving the heavy-duty trucking and agriculture sectors. This product has been around for 5+ years now.

For the 4th Gen Tacoma, the back of the cab lip reduces the gap compared to other pickups. My pivot needed to be 3/4 inch farther back than the instructions advised. While the instructions were good, they weren't specific to the 4th Gen Tacoma, requiring some tweaks during setup. I recommend getting the optional seal kit. The seal kit includes an adhesive rubber seal like those on car doors and seam sealant. It's something you could do yourself but convenient to have the right gasket pre-cut for the front and tailgate. I’m not using the tailgate seal for daily use, but it might be useful for future travel and occasional camping in the back.

Additional considerations: This setup doesn’t use the front mount rail, allowing for the addition of a front molle panel. The z-clamps might interfere with some side-mounted products, but most should work fine. They offer an accessory bag for their rail on the bed, and I opted for the screen. There is a YouTube review where the guy adding screens at both ends and some insulation.

Again, this is an early report but so far, so good. It is good tarp and metal work with a good design.

2024 Tacoma Fas-Top Traveler (all in one tonneau & soft topper) for 2024 Tacoma initial review {filename}

2024 Tacoma Fas-Top Traveler (all in one tonneau & soft topper) for 2024 Tacoma initial review {filename}

Sponsored

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Good review, I reached out to Fas-Top but their delivery time didn't meet my time for needing the topper so I passed on it. Glad to see someone else picked it up.

How do you feel it seals around the bed considering you had to adjust the install a bit to get it fitted?

OP
OP

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good review, I reached out to Fas-Top but their delivery time didn't meet my time for needing the topper so I passed on it. Glad to see someone else picked it up.

How do you feel it seals around the bed considering you had to adjust the install a bit to get it fitted?
My order was July 15 and it showed up August 2 even though they repeated or posted 4+ lead time.

My adjustment mentioned was all about pivot location for the topper part. Their suggested measurement had the top too close to the cab and it would not clear that lip or rubbed it. Moving the pivot back 3/4 inch got what you see in the photo. I called them when that was first noticed and a nice guy stated it might have to be moved back to fix what I saw.

The 3 rails have a rubber material that sits on the bed rails. The Tacoma front of bed is very skinny compared to other pickups. The gasket material in their seal kit better seals the front.

I've had pickups with caps before and we've had them in work fleet. None ever seal like a van or SUV. Just look at the gaps at tailgate to see my point. The topper part has zippers, velcro and stitches. I can't imagine it ever being perfect but it seems plenty fine for what it is.

This might be the important understanding. I've had antique plus old car convertible experience, boat canvas, and decades ago was a flatbed trucker. Also a lot of experience with the tarp/canvas construction in awnings, event tents and popup shades. No soft top or "canvas" is perfect and precise as some demand but they generally work as intended.

One more understanding. From a whole lot of homework, I found nothing else like this. At least initially I'm very happy to take any inherent problems with soft tops or tonneau for having the versatility.

OP
OP

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Friday I took around 1500 pounds of building materials, tools, supplies & 3 mammals to our cabin site in strong headwinds and two downpour storms. The front of the bed was surprisingly dry. I purposely don't have the seals at tailgate and any moisture there made sense. Overall it was not much different than my last metal topper. Coming home with less stuff it was easy to go in tonneau mode.

Today I'll do a tiny tweak of pivot location because it looks like I can get front of soft topper 1/2 inch from lip on cab and front a tad lower without having a rub issue.

This solution might not be for everyone and both the tonneau and topper are wear items but wow I like the versatility.

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6MT 4x4
I know it’s been about 2 weeks since you posted last, how have you been liking it so far? How’s it worked for day to day life? Any recommendations or warnings? Do you have any more pics of it?

Thanks in advance, and great review, appreciate you putting this out here

Sponsored

OP
OP

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it’s been about 2 weeks since you posted last, how have you been liking it so far? How’s it worked for day to day life? Any recommendations or warnings? Do you have any more pics of it?

Thanks in advance, and great review, appreciate you putting this out here
We're still happy and liking the versatility. It might not be for everyone but sure suits my needs. I have all of an open bed and topper for the diversity of situations I have. It's too new to judge durability but the all of it is made like truck, ag and marine tarps and covers.

I have taken the topper off for some open bed loads. That's easy with a single cotter pin on each side.

I noticed they're promoting their rack that's compatible with it all and is adjustable.

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6MT 4x4
We're still happy and liking the versatility. It might not be for everyone but sure suits my needs. I have all of an open bed and topper for the diversity of situations I have. It's too new to judge durability but the all of it is made like truck, ag and marine tarps and covers.

I have taken the topper off for some open bed loads. That's easy with a single cotter pin on each side.

I noticed they're promoting their rack that's compatible with it all and is adjustable.
I see the rack on the website, looks pretty tall. I appreciate all the feedback you've given, thank you for your help
Sponsored