Sponsored

Tacomel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and 4Runner
Finally got to go camping and tow my little teardrop trailer with my TRD offroad with the Iforce max drivetrain. The trip was 100 miles each way with 1300 feet elevation gain (4900 ft to 6200 ft). It was mostly rural highway driving following a river with curves and hills at speeds between 55 and 65 mph. The trailer itself is approximately 2300 lbs fully loaded.

Pros:
Plenty of power and torque. The truck felt like it had a lot more to give and hardly seemed to notice the trailer was there even on the larger hills.

Transmission temperature was rock solid in the middle of the band.

I got 14.5 mpg on the way to our camping spot (with the elevation gain), and 15.5 mpg on the way back.

On the downhills, the truck really controlled it's speed very well and I hardly needed to use the breaks.

Hooking the trailer up was super easy - plenty of room for the safety chains and with the large screen made backing up to the trailer very easy.

Cons:
The hitch is wider than a standard two inch hitch. While the truck came with a hitch pin that fits it, my paclock hitch pins were to short and I had to order a new one.

I am not a fan of the 18 gallon gas tank and I think this is probably the biggest con with the truck overall. That being said, the fuel gauge tracks way better than any Toyota I have previously had.

The trailer auto detect system is not the best, especially when unhooking the trailer. Toyota needs to add a way to turn this off and perform manual operations.

The menus for performing towing functions (light check, add/remove a trailer) are buried way to deep in the settings menu and should be in their own section that is easier to navigate to.

20241006_105703.jpg
Sponsored

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4th gen TRD Sport 6MT
Finally got to go camping and tow my little teardrop trailer with my TRD offroad with the Iforce max drivetrain. The trip was 100 miles each way with 1300 feet elevation gain (4900 ft to 6200 ft). It was mostly rural highway driving following a river with curves and hills at speeds between 55 and 65 mph. The trailer itself is approximately 2300 lbs fully loaded.

Pros:
Plenty of power and torque. The truck felt like it had a lot more to give and hardly seemed to notice the trailer was there even on the larger hills.

Transmission temperature was rock solid in the middle of the band.

I got 14.5 mpg on the way to our camping spot (with the elevation gain), and 15.5 mpg on the way back.

On the downhills, the truck really controlled it's speed very well and I hardly needed to use the breaks.

Hooking the trailer up was super easy - plenty of room for the safety chains and with the large screen made backing up to the trailer very easy.

Cons:
The hitch is wider than a standard two inch hitch. While the truck came with a hitch pin that fits it, my paclock hitch pins were to short and I had to order a new one.

I am not a fan of the 18 gallon gas tank and I think this is probably the biggest con with the truck overall. That being said, the fuel gauge tracks way better than any Toyota I have previously had.

The trailer auto detect system is not the best, especially when unhooking the trailer. Toyota needs to add a way to turn this off and perform manual operations.

The menus for performing towing functions (light check, add/remove a trailer) are buried way to deep in the settings menu and should be in their own section that is easier to navigate to.

20241006_105703.jpg
I'm with you on the smaller fuel tank size. Why couldn't toyota keep the 21 gallon from the 3rd gen ?