Sponsored

How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps)

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
OK. So coming up short on solid information I tepidly started exploring how to take my dash apart for accessing the back of the driver side switch panel. As I know I was one of many inquiring, I took a few specific photos along the way to help others.

1. Using a thin trim tool, tuck it under the lower left edge of the decorative trim panel that sits between the air vent and the switch panel surround and gently pull upwards and away (towards the seat). Part should easily pop loose on the corner.
2. Once the corner is loose, use your hands and gentle continue to pull around the edge, always straight back towards to seat and the part should come free
3. ith that removed, you can use your fingers to grab the leading edge of the side trim (where the "secret pocket" is) and pull it directly away from the dash (straight outward) and it should pop free. Watch the lowest edge for any hang up to work loose.
4. next up are two screws (I used a Phillips screwdriver) located on each side of the panel sitting above the pedals and below the airbag. One is very visible just above the left foot rest. The other is a bit more tucked in about 2" in from the right well wall.
5. Once those two screws are removed, there are three pinch points that you need to squeeze and work loose. The flex side points towards you (so squeeze towards the engine wall). If you pinch them enough, you should be able to grasp the front lip of the trim and pull down to free it from attachment to the airbag panel.
6. With the two screws removed and the three pinch points released, the panel should fall away and only be restricted in movement by the footwell light harness and the hood release latch. Set it to the side over the gas pedal.
7. Next, there is overlap between the foot rest cover and the upper panel, so I removed the footrest cover as the safest path. Others might gamble a bit more here, but it was only about 3 minutes of extra work.
8. At the top rear of the footrest, there is a thumb/Philips screw to undo. It's very ease to finger remove.
9. With that free you can pull the footrest panel forwards and upwards and outwards to work it free. NOTE: it has a slot attachment point at the bottom of the curve towards the door edge. AND it overlaps under the sill panel so it's easiest to pull up part of that panel as well to work loose the three tab attachment points and be able to completely remove the footrest panel and get it out of your way.
10. Now, to the panel you really care about, the one with the switch panel mounted to to
11. Start from the lower left and gently finger pull it away from the dash straight towards the rear seat. I found the least resistance working it clockwise starting from this approximately 7 o'clock position.
12. At the top of the trim piece you may need your trim tool to help the top two clips release before continuing.
13. Once you get to about 3 o'clock it's going to be more stubborn. I would recommend a combination of working the panel free while equally applying "stay" force to the airbag panel so that it's not trying to pull away with it. This should allow for you to get the final two attachment points (about 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock) free.
14. With that complete, the large panel containing the switch panel should now be able to fall forward like a drawbridge to expose the backside to you as well as the engine wall and gasket for the firewall pass-through (should you need to run new wires).

Words of caution:
1. Use a plastic trim tool and be selective. Most of the panels once they get started can be released by working the edge with your fingers methodically.
2. Watch for the most minor overlapping of parts
3. We think it goes without saying, but take your time and be gentle so that you don't end up having to replace anything
4. Reassembly is in the reverse order of the above. Make sure each panel is fully reseated before continuing as they layer upon each other.
5. The screws thread into plastic - DO NOT over tighten beyond gently snug when reattaching.
6. The thumb screw is plastic - DO NOT over tighten beyond gently snug when reattaching.
7. When reattaching the foot light panel, if it's not sitting flush at the front edge, you have the rear of the panel pushed up too high. pull it all down again and start by lining up the leading edge flush, then screw near the gas pedal first, work the pinch clamps back in, and finish with the screw towards the door edge.

If you feel I've left anything of merit out, please let me know and I can edit the post.

I hope you find this useful

Below is a series of pictures for the process detailed above. This way you can see where the fastening and attachment points are located.

2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.45.31
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.59.04
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.59.51
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.48.54
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.49.33
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.50.23
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.51.48
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.52.08
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.53.14
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.54.07
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 13.57.15
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 14.02.28

If you look right where the metal with the "9" starts to bend, you'll see two red points. those are the final to snaps to get free. I found them to be the most difficult, but also because they are attached to the panel with the airbag on it.
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 14.03.52

2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 14.06.09

Full attachment point visual + firewall gasket

2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 14.14.42
2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 14.14.53

2024 Tacoma How to access the back of the driver's switch panel (trim removal steps) 2024-10-03 14.07.19
Sponsored