Sponsored

How to fit 3rd gen wheels on 4th gen Tacoma?

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Could you do me a favor if possible and check the factory OR wheel width?
I'm shopping tires that the dealership will upgrade when the truck lands and I can't figure out iif the factory wheels are 7" or 7.5" or even 8?
Side note - your new bronze wheels look fantastic! And we have similar taste I opted for a White Trd OR as well.
Sponsored

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
Could you do me a favor if possible and check the factory OR wheel width?
I'm shopping tires that the dealership will upgrade when the truck lands and I can't figure out iif the factory wheels are 7" or 7.5" or even 8?
Side note - your new bronze wheels look fantastic! And we have similar taste I opted for a White Trd OR as well.
I found this on google. I will try and double check my oem wheels, but that might be difficult with the tire mounted to get an accurate measurement. The factory tires are chintzy to say the least.

2024 Tacoma How to fit 3rd gen wheels on 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_0079

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
Also, the new lug nuts showed up again yesterday…………wrong again. I called them. They are sending another set. Third times a charm I hope. I’m not holding my breath.

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's too awkward to check behind I totally get that but if you can get a look on the inside of factory wheels they should be stamped somewhere on the rim showing 17x7.5 or similar
2024 Tacoma How to fit 3rd gen wheels on 4th gen Tacoma? Screenshot_20240406-110205_Chrome

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
I’m on it! Didn’t know that. Give me a minute.

Sponsored

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's really frustrating they sent the wrong lug nuts for a second straight time. Fingers crossed that third time is indeed the charm.

I agree about factory tires. And what really bugs me about them is they are specially made for Toyota and are therefore different from the regular BFG Trail Terrain TAs. From most accounts the regular Trail TA are solid performers.
But the Toyota spec are pounds lighter and the 3pms snow rating is removed.
I'm sure it's all about emissions, rolling resistance and increased mpg in the lesser Toyota version but sure would be nice if the truck came with a more robust tire from factory.
I like the idea of pizza cutters but I worry if I put them on the factory rims they will tuck in too far and look funny.
I don't really want to go into a C or D rated due to heft so currently it's looking like 285 70 17 or maintain same size as factory Nokian Outpost nAT at 46lbs / 43lbs a tire.
Nokian has never let me down. Their Aramid layer (Kevlar) and rubber compounds are the bees knees.

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
Sounds like you have a lot more tire experience than I do. All I know is the side wall is so soft, it feels like I could push my finger through it. It also does nothing for the aesthetics of the truck.

So I crawled underneath and can’t see the back of the wheel because of the disk brake. If I get a minute this evening I’ll jack it up and take one off.

2024 Tacoma How to fit 3rd gen wheels on 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_6130

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
Check out that video. It’s pretty interesting. Also search pizza cutter tires on YouTube for a bunch of content.

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh don't worry about it I really appreciate you trying but don't bother pulling the wheel I can talk to the dealership and really we should be able to trust toyota.com listed specs that you found earlier that it's 7.5".

Appreciate you going thru that effort already.

Cheers

Sponsored
OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like that video alot lol I rewatched it last night!
Great info

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am edging closer by the day to get 255 75 pizza cutters like you.
As great as the 285 look and they look great imo but basically I'm finding less and less positives to go wide for trucks the size of a Tacoma.
If I spent much time on sand, sure I could see myself staying with the original plan of 285s but for everyday use, the pizza cutters make so much sense.
Now I just need to convince my vain ego that performance is more important than looks.
Another pro for 255 is that it will fit on the skimpy spare tire rim.
The factory spare is 245 I believe..no conceivable chance a 285 will squeeze onto that wheel.
Thank you for putting pizza cutters into my mind. Better mpg, less expensive, lighter, better winter performance, maybe quieter(?)
Cheers!

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
I have wondered about this tire quite a bit. Still narrow, but would be a true 33. Sorry to make you think about this more!

BTW, lug nut saga continues. EZ Accessories sent a third set that didn’t match the description. I’m done with them. I’m going to Toyota next time I’m in the city. The other thread said he found his lugs at a dealer and were some sort of Tundra lug. So I’m still rolling with What came on it.

2024 Tacoma How to fit 3rd gen wheels on 4th gen Tacoma? IMG_0081

JLO1971

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR, Husky TE150
One more thing. My Firestone MT2 255/75/17 tires tread width is actually a little wider than the oem 265/70/17. Not sure how that works, but someone is fibbing.

OP
OP
M1KL83

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have wondered about this tire quite a bit. Still narrow, but would be a true 33. Sorry to make you think about this more!

BTW, lug nut saga continues. EZ Accessories sent a third set that didn’t match the description. I’m done with them. I’m going to Toyota next time I’m in the city. The other thread said he found his lugs at a dealer and were some sort of Tundra lug. So I’m still rolling with What came on it.

IMG_0081.jpeg
My goodness what kind of mickey mouse operation are they running over there. 3 swings are you're outta there!

Hopefully Toyota has the right lugs for you..what a headache sorry about that.

Those Geolanders are beefy! I bet they'd look great however my concern is that their listed weight is 53.4lbs. They stock tires I believe are 37lbs. I think your Destinations are around 37lbs too.
With Yoko's aggressive mud tread and the substantial increase in unsprung weight per tire, I think it would affect the driving experience and hurt mpgs quite a bit.
If I was offroad daily then that tire would be something I strongly consider.
Finding the happy medium is proving a lot more difficult than I first thought.
Sponsored