I don’t understand the hype

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Just looking to see if anyone else has any of the same gripes but doesn’t seem to be so I guess it’s just me…
I have had issues with the source switching. Volume control either the knob or steering wheel controls, changes the source. Seems like it went away for a while, then it came back. I've tried to figure out if there's some magic to the way I connected or started apps when it went away for a while, but I can't figure it out. Took it to dealer and they had no clue, dealer didn't even understand a streaming radio station was playing from the phone! It's annoying but I'm still hoping that some update will just make it go away for good.

I agree most of the storage is useless, but that's typical of most vehicles. Bottle/cup holders are always useless, never big enough for any water bottle I use. Console storage is pretty useless, but I don't have much use for it. Under seat storage in the back is a little better, but I wish it went all the way through so it could store longer items.

I love the engine. I rarely get less than 22mpg in any type of driving, and I'm often in the 26-30mpg range. Throttle response and acceleration is incredible in my opinion, coming from the 6 speed 6 cyl. small truck engines that were geared to stay in as high a gear as possible for as long as possible, the way this 4cyl turbo is geared and the fast turbo spooling, it feels like a race car to me.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand

full gas tank = only 289 miles

18 mpg not ideal

No unlock button on tailgate

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

CarPlay/infotainment glitches - changes music source or turns off

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

Manual seats on a 45k vehicle?

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Anyone have anything to help talk me off the ledge?
Fixed the door lock lag with Carista.

Sponsored

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Lol not sure if TacoScott is trolling or really is a 1st time Taco owner that didn't do the research. But first and foremost; "Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand" ;

No way José . I have owned and driven a 1993 Toyota pickup-truck, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen Tacos (Toyota renamed it "Tacoma" in 1995) and now my 2024 TRD Sport with the manual transmission and it is the quickest and fastest of them all. The torque and takeoff speed is twice as fast as my 3rd gen was.

There is no lag what so ever Scotty i promise. I am getting up there in age and i freaking love the 4th gen Taco with the 4-banger, turbo-charger and will die with this one (unless the 5th gen offers a 6MT as well :rockon: ).

Others here have brought up some very good points including purchasing a new Taco with the Premium package vs base trim models. I had to have that 14 inch touch screen and leather seats but the package had other stuff I will never use and ya know what ? i don't care.

From the Toyota Tacoma press release on 18 MAY 2023 to my purchase on 27 JUN 2024, I waited 13 months to find my dream build;

TRDSport/6MT/4WD/BlueCrushMetallic/PremiumPackage. I paid $2,000 extra over the MSRP, found it at Toyota of Melbourne, purchased an $89 one-way airplane ticket to Florida then made the 13-hour drive back to Texas and couldn't be happier.

No regrets, no shame. 5,200 miles so far with no issues. As others have said, if you're not happy with your Taco, trade it in for something you're accustomed to. Just my 2¢. Cheers.

2024 Tacoma I don’t understand the hype tempImagebTtRZv

2024 Tacoma I don’t understand the hype image0

2024 Tacoma I don’t understand the hype image3

Last edited:

TX-BluStreak

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Where in TX are you at @TexasBlueCrush? I don't have the latest Taco yet so I'm living vicariously thru everyone's adventures with their new trucks. I put down a deposit 3 months ago and it looks like I won't be getting my TRD Pro anytime soon (at least not until sometime next year).

For me, it all comes down to two things: the Needs & the Wants. Do I really need the latest and most expensive Tacoma?!?! No, not really but I really want one! 😄 Would you rather settle for something that's readily available on the lot? No, I don't ever want to settle for anything less than what I've got my heart set on and I don't mind waiting especially with all the mishaps, malfunctions and gremlins showing up in the latest Taco. I hope by the time I get my truck, all these issues would have been fixed.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@TX-BluStreak You sound just like me. Did I need a TRD Pro? No way. Was that the only truck that I wanted? Definitely. Trucks cost too much today to drive something that you don't want.

I was also where you are thinking it would take me forever to get mine. I also thought that at least they might have all the problems sorted out by the time I got mine.

But then things just lined up and I got mine two weeks ago. I know it seems like they are dying all the time from reading posts online, but mine is perfect and I wouldn't trade it for any other truck on the market.

It will be worth your wait - trust me, I do understand the hype. :cool:

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Where in TX are you at @TexasBlueCrush? I don't have the latest Taco yet so I'm living vicariously thru everyone's adventures with their new trucks. I put down a deposit 3 months ago and it looks like I won't be getting my TRD Pro anytime soon (at least not until sometime next year).

For me, it all comes down to two things: the Needs & the Wants. Do I really need the latest and most expensive Tacoma?!?! No, not really but I really want one! 😄 Would you rather settle for something that's readily available on the lot? No, I don't ever want to settle for anything less than what I've got my heart set on and I don't mind waiting especially with all the mishaps, malfunctions and gremlins showing up in the latest Taco. I hope by the time I get my truck, all these issues would have been fixed.
i'm up here in the Dallas metroplex in Denton County. And i completely agree with you. I paid the extra $8,690 for the premium package on my Taco. I didnt want or need the moonroof, the JBL sound system, the panoramic view monitor, heated seats, bla bla bla.

But to get the 14 inch touchscreen and leather seats, I had to buy the upgraded package. I'm at a point in my life where i can afford it and it's been worth every penny.

Your Taco will come soon just be patient. I too enjoy reading others thoughts and comments on their new Taco. Yes there have been a few glitches with the 4th gen but it is soooo much better than my 3rd gen ever was.

2024 Tacoma I don’t understand the hype image2

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
2024 Tacoma I don’t understand the hype 1727195322209-jo

Dude i just noticed your avatar. That is one bad a** Taco ! a 2nd gen TRD Sport and i freaking love the chrome !
Sponsored