Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I’ve been curious how the adaptive cruise would work with the manual. The “TSS 3.0 full speed dynamic cruise” is supposed to work down to 0 mph and then automatically accelerate again when the car in front of you moves, so I’ve been wondering if you just don’t get those features with the manual or does the iMT try to prevent stalling at low speeds? I wouldn’t think it could go down to 0 unless you put the clutch in. Just curious how these sensor systems interplay with an old school transmission.
I can't remember the technical name but there's two different types of dynamic crusie control Toyota offers. The one that comes on the automatics will go to a full stop and accelerate again, the one on the manuals will come to a full stop (having to clutch in yourself) but will turn off once stopped and you'll have to enable it again once up to speed. I think (and don't quote me on it) you have to be going something like 40-60kph at minimum for the vehicle to allow you to engage dynamic cruise control. Still works great though for highway trips, coupled with the lane keep assist and the fact that it has enough torque to never really need to downshift from 6th unless you meet a very steep hill.
Sponsored

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
As I'm driving her more and more, I honestly hardly notice a rev hang, but I'm also not shifting fast. 2 to 3rd to 4th and so on is smooth a butter, doesn't even feel like a manual but first is REALLY short and starting off in second I find is too much slippage. Going from first to second is where I notice the rev hang, I think it's due to first being so short so I'm revving fairly high to get into second, also cause her to clunk a little so I got to get a little used to that and smooth it out.

But the torque is on a whole new level. In first second and third with less than 1/4 gas you're taking off, and when in fifth and even sixth on the highway I find once the turbo spools up (which is pretty quick) she takes off.

I'm definitely happy I got a manual, and I'm sure you will be too! Unfortunately the engine noise in the manuals is a little too loud and not so wonderful sounding, that's my only negative
You could take a page from car audio upgrades and add some butyl sound deadening and/or mass load vinyl under the carpet along the fire wall and similar to the underside of the hood. That should calm down the engine noise in the cabin.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I agree, love the stick shift. Unfortunately no, it actually doesn't come with any of the storage compartments period. Which sucks, because I planned to store my tie downs in there, but I do have all underneath the rear seat.

Maybe in the future I'll pay someone to cut it up and install them lol.
That's disappointing to hear but oh well, can always add them later with a little MacGyvering.
I'm sure those cubbies will soon be available aftermarket, if not already. Install likely not too difficult as long as we confirm where wires are to not hit them while cutting composite bed.
Storing ratchetstraps was my plan too.
There's a great video on YouTube of a new gen Tundra with step by step adding bed power outlets.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
Congrats! Excellent write up and thanks for discussing shift points, Rev hang, and iMT. I have been waiting (impatiently) for someone to actually speak to iMT on vs off, this really answers all the questions I’ve had!

My manual TRD Off Road arrives next week! I’ll be sure to do a similar write up. I’ve owned a 2005, 2016 (with VF tuner), and 2023 Tacoma manual and I’m looking forward to the 2024! Particularly the low end torque!

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Congrats! Excellent write up and thanks for discussing shift points, Rev hang, and iMT. I have been waiting (impatiently) for someone to actually speak to iMT on vs off, this really answers all the questions I’ve had!

My manual TRD Off Road arrives next week! I’ll be sure to do a similar write up. I’ve owned a 2005, 2016 (with VF tuner), and 2023 Tacoma manual and I’m looking forward to the 2024! Particularly the low end torque!

Can't wait to hear what you've got to say! When you get her let us know if you have any thumping going into second gear. I notice it on mine, and ill be asking the dealer soon, every other gear shifts great but the minute it locks into 2nd there's an odd thump you can feel.

Sponsored

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I agree, love the stick shift. Unfortunately no, it actually doesn't come with any of the storage compartments period. Which sucks, because I planned to store my tie downs in there, but I do have all underneath the rear seat.

Maybe in the future I'll pay someone to cut it up and install them lol.
Did your Sport Plus come w a matching full size spare tire? And I wonder what your payload sticker lists on the inside of drivers door jam?
Pardon all the questions but your are the first 6MT in Canada I've seen. Exciting times!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Did your Sport Plus come w a matching full size spare tire? And I wonder what your payload sticker lists on the inside of drivers door jam?
Pardon all the questions but your are the first 6MT in Canada I've seen. Exciting times!
No worries!! Ask away. There is a full sized spare under her, when I go out on my break I'll send a picture of the payload rating.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Is this the sticker you're referencing?
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 1000003406

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Picked up my Tacoma today and I couldn't be more ecstatic. It's hard to find any complaints when there isn't many. Here's my initial thoughts followed by some photos. I will only review what I had the pleasure of using sense the last 8+ hours.

Drive Train/Engine: Being a 6M, and having it be 10+ years sense I last pressed a clutch in I'm fairly impressed. I hopped in and went off like a pro. 1st - 2nd is still a little jerky, but I'll iron it out as I grow accustom.

The engine noise is rough, I won't sugar coat it. It has a growl to it that I didn't expect from a i4 which is nice and the turbo noise at times can be very loud, and very enjoyable. Being the 6M it doesn't have active noise cancelling and that's VERY noticeable lol, it doesn't sound great at certain RPMs.

The clutch it's self is smooth like butter and very predictable. It's very linear and not hard on the legs to push in.

Changing gears takes a little elbow grease, not sure if that'll get easier over time or if I just need to drink more milk lol.

iMT is iffy with me. It helps dramatically with the rev match assist, especially not being at all familiar with toe heel, but it makes my upshifts much more choppy and rough, I'm guessing too much rev hang from the assist. Which is another thing we all knew, the rev hang is pretty gnarly as is with most modern manuals. With iMT on and releasing the clutch you'll push forward a little more conservative, with it off you'll lunge forward pretty quickly.

With or without iMT off I find I rarely ever have to touch the throttle when letting off the clutch from a stop, which is nice. Hardly any rollback unless the hill is steep.

First gear is noticeably short, almost too short. But you don't overly have to worry because having it in second at an incredibly low speed doesn't even seem to phase the taco, even with iMT off. I have yet to stall it. My friend who hasn't drove manual in over 15 years never stalled, although he had trouble telling the difference between second and fourth lol.

The steering is incredible. My 2018 Camry had electric steering too but I can't even begin to compare, it's so much more lighter and smoother.

The suspension and handling has surpassed any expectations I've had for a midsized truck. So much smoother riding than leaf springs but you still get that truck feel without any of the negatives. It still hugs the road as you'd like, there's zero lane travel almost as if you're driving a sedan. I can almost compare it to my Camry SE when it comes to handling, I haven't pushed it to it's limits yet but I'm almost certain it'll perform more than you'll ever need a mid sized truck to.

(It's so much taller in person, you feel pretty high up when sitting driver and passenger)

Looks/Body: This Tacoma hasn't stopped breaking necks sense I drove it off the lot, my passengers were actively watching for it and I'd say the vast majority of everyone I passed did at least a double take, if not triple lol. I had one Tacoma guy turn right around in his seat to watch me pass by.

People were worried the hood scoop effected visibility, and honestly I can't say I do notice any visibility loss. On the trails, perhaps, but the hood it's self would be a concern on the trails, not so much the scoop. It's pretty low profile when you're sitting in the drivers seat (and it looks fantastic)

The underbody (running boards) is coated with some sort of protectant, it gives the running boards a truck bed liner look and texture, although it's hardly noticeable unless you really look. I inquired about it because I've never seen anything like it before and was told this is what Toyota does with all their new vehicles now, apparently helps with rust protection.

The 5ft bed looks so much smaller than what I had pictured, but it'll do what I need it to do, just sucks you can't get the 6M in a 6ft bed.

The backseats are tight, for leg room. I personally thought they were much tighter than a mid sized truck needed to be but the three passengers I had in back (6' being the max height) didn't complain at all, and when I asked them they said it's not all the roomy, but it's also not effecting them, they still had about an inch of leg room.

I've had a couple people tell me when sitting up front it feels much more roomy than it actually is, so good job on the design there Toyota.

I'm still mixed about how the rear bumper meets the bed, I suspect a bumper swap incoming.

The power seats are great, the adjust to all different kinds of angles, no complaints.

Electronics/Features: The headlight adjustment dial is awesome, I can see a lot of folks get use out of this when towing, easy to use. As is the trailer brake, perfectly in reach but also hidden enough not to stick out. I was told the offroad doesn't come with the trailer brake. Seems backwards to me, but whatever. Glad I have it. Good to note the Sport+ does come with a ball and hitch located under the rear seats.

The stereo/head unit seems good so far. I did have an issue once with android auto not automatically connecting and it also seemed to revert my sound settings to default the first time when I turned my truck off. I'll find out tomorrow morning if it did that once again to me.

The JBL audio is ... okay? It'd definitely an upgrade from what I got, and the bass is there, but at low volume there's hardly any bass and certain songs don't work very well with the subwoofer.

The sunroof tilt is a little disappointing to me, it tilts very little, and the little accordion seal actually popped off on one side, I'm hoping I can just pop it back in and it won't be a shop visit.

I can't for the life of my figure out how to use clutch cancel start, even pressing it it still insists I press the clutch and brake in to start, I'll have to read up in the manual.

Drive modes definitely have a difference with the pedal mapping. Sport is very touchy on the gas, just how I like it lol.

Lane keeping assist is miles ahead of my previous Toyota, it'll definitely keep you in the lane even if that lane is hardly visible.

Wireless charging works very well and fits my Fold 5 no problems at all, being such a thick phone, unless you got a Nokia you'll fit anything in there.

The dash is great in my opinion, displays everything very well, it's very adjustable and it looks fantastic.

Summary: All in, I think this is an amazing truck, I'm over the moon happy and I expect to have this truck for a very long time to come. My buddy who owns a 2nd gen Tacoma is absolutely star struck over this truck and he went from "I'm never trading in" to "why did you do this to me" in a matter of minutes. I really wish it had the power tailgate just for the coolness factor although it does have the dampening tailgate and it's very, very light. I also wish they didn't have "supply chain issues" so I could've had the electronic mirror, although I feel like it would've been more trouble than not. I also don't see any buttons on the mirror besides the 3 garage door opener buttons so I assume it's always powered on and ready to dim.

The sales guys were really sad to see it go, and insisted I come visit and say hi anytime I get a service done lol

Thank you Toyota for making an absolutely stunning truck for the 4th generation, I'm proud to be able to drive one.

She's #606 from the plant, and the first one in my city. Apparently 1 of three to ever be brought into Alberta, although I have no idea how many are currently in Alberta now.

Any questions on things I may have missed, feel free to ask away and I'll get to it as soon as I can!

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 1000003406

2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos {filename}
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos {filename}

Congratulations on the new truck! It's beautiful!

LaHaZiS2

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 subaru BRZ, 2024 tacoma(in less than a month)
Your post helped me a lot, just picked up my trd sport+ MT yesterday in vancouver, the iMT made me confused a bit, I haven't figured out what is it yet, from a manual sports car to a mid size truck, everything is so much difference, the first challenge is to fit it in my parking stall, which is way too big for my previous subaru BRZ.
2024 Tacoma Initial Impressions: Manual 2024 Tacoma 6MT TRD Sport + (Canadian Build) & 2nd Gen Comparison Photos 2605d34bc455823710abbdfe75e8e1f

Sponsored

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Are you guys using the auto parking brake? I picked up a m/t yesterday and it feels very strange skipping that step. Also feels like it can’t be that good for the truck that you have to start off and then it disengages. I know it can be turned off so you have to set the brake manually, but the downside of that seems to be an amber dash light always on.

DarkVet

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500, Cadillac CT4 V
Are you guys using the auto parking brake? I picked up a m/t yesterday and it feels very strange skipping that step. Also feels like it can’t be that good for the truck that you have to start off and then it disengages. I know it can be turned off so you have to set the brake manually, but the downside of that seems to be an amber dash light always on.
The electronic parking break comes on whenever you turn of the vehicle. I always disengage the parking break when I start the vehicle and before I throw it in 1st or R. you have to press the break pedal though otherwise the parking break will not disengage. I have not seen any amber dash light on mine...??

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
The electronic parking break comes on whenever you turn of the vehicle. I always disengage the parking break when I start the vehicle and before I throw it in 1st or R. you have to press the break pedal though otherwise the parking break will not disengage. I have not seen any amber dash light on mine...??
if you hold down the brake switch with your foot on the brake it will deactivate the automatic parking brake. And when it’s deactivated I’m pretty sure you’ll have a full time amber light showing it’s off. I’m just going to leave it on and treat it as if in manual mode like you suggested. I guess good to know that if you forget to set it, it will set itself.

Still trying to figure a way to keep iMT on all the time. Weird that settings like steering wheel heat and seat heat survive engine shut down but not iMT.
Sponsored