Sponsored

Just bought a 2024, my initial thoughts.

SpartanCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I only got the truck this week so I can't say anything for reliability, but here are my thoughts on it.
First everyone on the other forums and fb groups told me not to trade in my 21 because the new trucks were junk with junk engines with no power etc.
I did it any way. 2021 TRD Sport with premium package with softex(faux-leather) seats.

The cons, after reading all the boards I am hyper aware of all the big problems the trucks have. Which mean I notice things I never would have. For me it is an uncentered tailgate. And the trim on top of the bed being slightly lift at the end. One small bump in my cowl under the wipers. I would never have noticed these things without reading about them, they slightly annoy me to think about, but I am generally unfazed by these and they don't really bother me. So far there is only 3 things that actually bother me. 1. The JBL system is absolute trash. And shouldn't be in a truck this expensive especially not as a premium option. There is quite a bit of lag between what is heard and what is on your phone screen. 2. On the steering wheel dead center in the bottom there is a tiny sharp point in the leather right where I rest my hand.(I can prob fix this with an exacto blade.) 3. The mud flaps are way to small. If I drive over even dust the side of the truck gets covered.

The Pros are a different story. I loved my 2021 Tacoma trd sport. But the moment I first test drove this my world was changed. I don't understand if the people who complain about the powertrain have never driven one and they just fear the 4 cylinder or what their deal is. But they are wrong.
1. The transmission is so much smoother it is crazy. I can barely feel shifts, no weird gear searching or feeling like it isn't in the right gear. Everything about it seems so much better than my last truck.
2. The engine is great. There may be the slightest turbo lag, but overall it seems to outperform my v6 tacoma in every where. It is faster, quieter and minimally more fuel efficient.
3. The interior is excellent. I really like the Softex seats. The screen is great. Seat height and everything is great.
4. Cameras work great. I have 360 view and the rearview mirror lcd screen. I really like these features. And the new tonneau cover is a nice improvement over the past one.

All in all I am so far very happy with the truck. For something I initially thought wasn't changed enough I was greatly surprised once I actually got in and used one.
Once again I can't comment on reliability yet.

2024 Tacoma Just bought a 2024, my initial thoughts. taco
Sponsored

NewtoToyota

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD Sport
Good looking truck and nice write up! Not as bad on this forum since it's for 4g owners but the 4th gen gets a lot of hate elsewhere like TW (mostly from the 3g guys). Glad you went and checked it out to form your own opinion of it. Any planned upgrades or just going to enjoy it as is for now?

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
The lag on your bluetooth isn't a Toyota issue so much as a technology issue; it actually lags less than aftermarket adapters I've used in the past, but it's still noticeable and annoying.

Nice truck!

Paul85

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Blue Crush
Wanted to reply to this post. I just traded in my 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 truck with 24k on it Monday night and picked up a 2024 Toyota TRD Sport. So far, loving the truck. To me, I hear nothing wrong with the stereo. It sounds good, has decent, not great, bass, but overall sounds good to me. My VIN range, as of now, is not part of the transmission TSB. I don't notice an uncentered tailgate, nor anything wrong with the wiper cowl, but again, have not had the truck even 100 miles yet. I completely agree with all of your pro posts, with one exception. I have the 14 inch screen option and feel like the backup camera is not nearly as crisp as the one in my GMC was. It seems blurry a bit but maybe it's just me? Overall, I like the turbo whine when accelerating and look forward to many years with this baby truck.
Sponsored