Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Not sure what’s going on here with the discrepancies in photos. I do not believe in “God” or organized religion. From the dash cam footage this is clearly not the fault of Tacoma driver and recorded. Will there be future pain and suffering physically and mentally? What will your quality of life be like in the future? Regardless if it was a medical emergency or negligence from distraction that caused them to veer into your lane they are accountable. I wish you a speedy recovery and resolution in this unfortunate accident.

Dataman

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 1st Gen Toyota Tacoma
Wow! So sorry to see your baby jacked up like that! As for color, I recommend blue! :) As you can see from my picture, it is rather stunning! 5 foot bed, though. It does have the "premium" package which makes it even better.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
There are multiple differences in the trucks, including the tires. One is an off-road, one is not.
Yeah I know. That is why I asked the OP the significance of that photo.

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm glad you're okay and best wishes to the others.

Our family member killed by a fool was also of faith but not in a top rated for safety pickup so your dash cam footage illustrated something very important to my wife. We'd not have bought ours if it didn't have that rating.

If you had a long bed I'd suggest leveraging your insurance to get you another. In my case I can't imaging not having the long bed. The "Kiss My Gritts" web app will show them already landed. Toyota's site with a 500 mi search radius will show ones that are incoming with approximate dates.

Best wishes for resolving it all ASAP.
Thank you so much.
Toyota sure is getting a lot of free publicity with my recommendation and bragging about their safety.
I'm sorry for your loss. I've learned never to question God about why someone passes for whatever reason.
i'm gonna edit my post to add this to it....

Toyota sent SOS messages to those in my contact list. Emergency responders including the police we're not even on scene yet when I was getting texts or calls asking if I was OK and what was going on.

A little comfort knowing they would know what was up if for some reason I didn't come home.

It kept updating my location to my contacts.
It also kept calling 911.
I was so worried the truck was gonna catch fire. I couldn't shut it off at that push button and it was knocking really bad in the engine.

2024 Tacoma My baby got totaled in head-on collision @ 90mph (photos & video) IMG_4099

2024 Tacoma My baby got totaled in head-on collision @ 90mph (photos & video) IMG_4100

Sponsored

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Holy crap, dude! To “walk away” from that is unbelievable. Happy you’re mostly ok!

I’ve owned a dash cam for over 12 years now. I find them as indispensable as any other safety equipment that comes standard in today’s vehicles. Glad you had one in this case.

Every time I rewatch my dash cam footage, I’m surprised at how slow the action looks compared to when I witnessed that same event live. In this case, I can only imagine how hard that impact was. Dash cams are very deceiving that way!

Clearly a case of distracted driving here. Just as dangerous as a drunk driver.

I’m picking up my new truck in the next week. I’m dreading the day I remove the dash cam from my current car knowing I’ll have to drive it an hour and a half without it, plus the return trip in the new truck!

I hope there are no long term effects from your injuries.
Yeah it was crazy watching that dash cam video because it happened so fast and I don't know why the dash cam shows it and almost slow motion lol.
I paused the video and use the thing at the bottom where I could scroll at my own speed to watch the crash.
At the very very last second I could detect a slight jar in my truck to the right which is probably what save me from worse head on.
I watched the wheels from the little RAV4 that hit me and they never seem to turn but looking through the windshield when I zoomed in, the man's knuckles seem to be all white from clenching that steering wheel if that is indeed what I was looking at.
I'm not sure if I did that last minute twitch trying to shoot to the right or if that was the hand of God, which is who I'm crediting the glory to for that.
My fear was that truck was going to explode and catch on fire especially since I couldn't shut that engine off. I don't know if it has a fuel shut off thing like Ford have.
But now I know what it's like when people do die from such an accident. The last thing you see is that impact and then they're waking up on the other side.
It was a BlackVue dash cam for anyone wondering. I think it shows it at the bottom of the video.
I tried to edit my post but I couldn't do it to add about the emergency SOS that Toyota called those in my contact list and also kept calling 911. 911 called me back a few times saying that I called them and I said no my truck did it automatically before I think they got the message. The SOS kept updating my location on the way to the hospital to my contacts which was kind of cool. I just included and then the last one when I was at the hospital. Thanks again for your well wishes. Cams are in dispensable. Some years ago I had one in the back window backing into my parking spot and some lady in a big giant custom van from the 80s started to back out and turned her front wheels while she was well into her parking spot and hit the back corner of my car. She tried to blame me until I showed him the dash cam video. She even had some friends of hers come by to act as witnesses. When they saw I had a dash cam they walked away.

Toyota sent SOS messages to those in my contact list. Emergency responders including the police we're not even on scene yet when I was getting texts or calls asking if I was OK and what was going on.

A little comfort knowing they would know what was up if for some reason I didn't come home.

It kept updating my location to my contacts.
It also kept calling 911.
I was so worried the truck was gonna catch fire. I couldn't shut it off at that push button and it was knocking really bad in the engine.

2024 Tacoma My baby got totaled in head-on collision @ 90mph (photos & video) IMG_4099

2024 Tacoma My baby got totaled in head-on collision @ 90mph (photos & video) IMG_4100

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
Glad all is well. What is the pic of the other gray Tacoma? What dash cam are you using. I was on the fence getting one. I am for sure now. That is clear as day.
Looks like a gen 3 TRD sport. Maybe the wrecker/towing company took a photo of the wrong truck at their yard? I wonder if that truck had been in a very similar accident too?

Glad the OP is okay!

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
There are multiple differences in the trucks, including the tires. One is an off-road, one is not.
Glad mine was an off-road and it said a little bit higher. As multiple other people have said, it's a good thing the other vehicle was not a truck also because that little SUV hit low.
Glad you're OK & your truck saved your life. Dashcam absolutely indispensable must-have. Either that person had a seizure or its negligence.

I'm almost always watching for oncoming traffic on roads like this. Worst nightmare I tend to ride that white line defensive driver style So many distracted motorists putting others in danger.

Thanks and yes as I taught my wife to the right on a two-lane road like this and you have to watch oncoming traffic.
I was in the center of the lane but that thing came at me so fast I just didn't have time to react. We're trained from driving courses to always go to the right in a situation like that.
I was taught from the national highway traffic and safety administration courses 40 some years ago that it was better to hit a solid wall at the speed I'm driving then to hit head one which doubles the speed like in my case. That was like 90 miles an hour there. You could see the bounce of the vehicles and you could see how far out of the lane it knocked my truck.
Got a love that safety system including the crash reporting or SOS messaging from the iPhone to my emergency contacts. The truck did it and the truck also automatically called 911 unless it was the iPhone I'm not sure. You can see a few of the other posts I posted screenshots of the SOS messaging and how it updated my location a couple times, the last time being at the hospital.
I'm Toyota for life which I knew that before this crash but even more so now.

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Holy crap, dude! To “walk away” from that is unbelievable. Happy you’re mostly ok!

I’ve owned a dash cam for over 12 years now. I find them as indispensable as any other safety equipment that comes standard in today’s vehicles. Glad you had one in this case.

Every time I rewatch my dash cam footage, I’m surprised at how slow the action looks compared to when I witnessed that same event live. In this case, I can only imagine how hard that impact was. Dash cams are very deceiving that way!

Clearly a case of distracted driving here. Just as dangerous as a drunk driver.

I’m picking up my new truck in the next week. I’m dreading the day I remove the dash cam from my current car knowing I’ll have to drive it an hour and a half without it, plus the return trip in the new truck!

I hope there are no long term effects from your injuries.
Thank you so much and good luck and safe driving with yours.

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Watching the video, it looked like you had plenty of time to jerk the wheel to the right and go into the grassy area. At that speed, you can jerk the wheel hard, not all the way, without breaking traction or rolling it. But as you said the video is not showing the actual speed real time, so maybe I am incorrect.

I speak as a former high-speed driving instructor with SCCA years ago. Sitting shotgun doing over 150mph and teaching students how to drive was nerve wracking in itself.

As for the other driver, less an actual medical condition, I would have little sympathy for them. Kind of harsh to say that but he tried to kill you by being reckless and negligent. That is why we have a Justice system, to punish people like that.

Driving a vehicle is like going around with a loaded gun pointing forward. When they hit you like that, it is like if they shot you point blank. Again, less medical condition or a mechanical issue, they willfully drove into your path.

As a driver, you are responsible for the vehicle while driving and also maintaining its upkeep regarding maintenance and tires, brakes, etc... You regret those items; you risk lawsuits and criminal punishment. Sure, insurance companies will fight for the repairs and replacement but then we have the other side of Justice, how to pay for criminal negligence while operating a motor vehicle at speed.

I cannot make that decision, but if somebody went head-on with my new Tacoma like that and it was proven no medical condition or mechanical defect, I will see if I could go after them above insurance suits for criminal negligence operating a motor vehicle. I take my driving seriously, and too many drivers treat driving a motor vehicle as an extension of their home. Wrong!

My wife just got into a small wreck on the Interstate. She was driving 77mph in her Subaru Crosstrek and some dude tapped her left rear wheel doing over 90mph. Basically, like a police pit maneuver but just a love tap. Luckily the Subaru kept its line, and my wife did not overreact and pulled over to the side while he blew is right front and went into the median.

He tried to change his tire to quickly leave but could not get the busted wheel off before State Troopers arrived, busted. Over $6,600 in damages to the Subaru for a love tap. Could have been worse, thank God.

But again, why was he doing over 90+ and according to my wife swerving a bit indicating bad tires or suspension at those speeds as he came from behind or distracted or nervous, who knows. These moron drivers and others that have no idea how to drive at higher speeds properly, miss their apex, trail brake and so forth are a danger to the motoring public.

He could have killed my wife if she would have been harder into the left rear and pushed her sideways at those speeds. We are reviewing our options on this case. Bottom line, I do not give into these idiot drivers, if I have a legal route, I will pursue it to send the message. I only have one wife, and I will not lose her to some loser driver out there.

Anyways, glad you are ok bud! These Tacoma trucks are durable and safe. It sucks, but you are ok and will get another one to enjoy.

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
Wow that was a crazy head on! Just happy you're able to walk away! I can't help but think, holy dinguz that truck took it on the chin and kept you safe!

Again so glad you're safe bud

dvrgz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Long Bed
Insane. Glad you’re okay. 🙏

OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Looks like a gen 3 TRD sport. Maybe the wrecker/towing company took a photo of the wrong truck at their yard? I wonder if that truck had been in a very similar accident too?

Glad the OP is okay!
Oh I did that when I went to pick up my truck. The dark gray one

Glad the OP is okay!
Actually I took that photo of that truck. It was next to my truck in the towing yard. I didn't realize I included it with my photos when I posted my wreck. Looks like they were almost identical crashes/damage except his wasn't as bad as mine.
I just reread my OP. Some of it seems so retarded. I speak my texts and I was still pretty shook up there and I didn't proofread it, but I think everybody got what I was saying.