Sponsored

hemlockz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD Offroad 6MT
Toyota makes a decent set of rock sliders that come on the Trailhunter. You can consistently find them online for around $365 each, but shipping is not usually possible. I took a screenshot to my local dealer and got them to price match and was able to pick them up today.

Rock Rails:
PT738-35243 (Right Side - Shortbed)
PT738-35242 (Left Side - Shortbed)
Weight: 56 lbs. each including 11 bolts, and warning card that says not to jack it from the ends of the rails (which are just floating)

IMG_1191.jpg

Powder coating seems great and the welds and bends and cuts are all perfect. They've doubled up on the steel on the back of the mounting points. This helps strength but also spaces the rest of the bracket face off the frame by a 1/4" so it won't trap as much water against it.

IMG_1192.jpg

Installing takes about an hour, and totally doable by one person. One of the back bolts is designed so you can thread the bolt to the frame first them hang the rail on it, while you go to the other end and prop it up with your knee while centering and tightening the front bolt.

IMG_1187.jpg

Takes several turns of the ratchet, especially the higher of the two bolts. I wrapped some vinyl tape on my ratchet handle so I could "bounce" it off the two sides of the bracket without damaging the coating while spinning on the bolts:

IMG_1188.jpg

I didn't read the TIS, and not actually sure what the torque values should be but will add it if someone knows in the comments!

Anyway, perfect OEM fitment, well-designed, and easy to bolt on. Here are the installed pics:

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
hemlockz

hemlockz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD Offroad 6MT
Nice review @hemlockz. Do those come far enough out from the body to work as steps too?
For a child, yes. For a toehold to stand on and get something on the roof, yes. But as a step up to use to get into the truck for someone who needs some extra help it would not be adequate.
image.jpg

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Thanks @hemlockz that shows what I needed to see. My wife can get into my truck but would prefer a step, so I will consider other options.

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
Yea, the're too close to the body for someone to easily use as a step. They almost make it little more awkward to step into the truck if you are short and the lift is 2" or more.

Sponsored

massm22

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover
Toyota makes a decent set of rock sliders that come on the Trailhunter. You can consistently find them online for around $365 each, but shipping is not usually possible. I took a screenshot to my local dealer and got them to price match and was able to pick them up today.

Rock Rails:
PT738-35243 (Right Side - Shortbed)
PT738-35242 (Left Side - Shortbed)
Weight: 56 lbs. each including 11 bolts, and warning card that says not to jack it from the ends of the rails (which are just floating)

IMG_1191.jpg

Powder coating seems great and the welds and bends and cuts are all perfect. They've doubled up on the steel on the back of the mounting points. This helps strength but also spaces the rest of the bracket face off the frame by a 1/4" so it won't trap as much water against it.

IMG_1192.jpg

Installing takes about an hour, and totally doable by one person. One of the back bolts is designed so you can thread the bolt to the frame first them hang the rail on it, while you go to the other end and prop it up with your knee while centering and tightening the front bolt.

IMG_1187.jpg

Takes several turns of the ratchet, especially the higher of the two bolts. I wrapped some vinyl tape on my ratchet handle so I could "bounce" it off the two sides of the bracket without damaging the coating while spinning on the bolts:

IMG_1188.jpg

I didn't read the TIS, and not actually sure what the torque values should be but will add it if someone knows in the comments!

Anyway, perfect OEM fitment, well-designed, and easy to bolt on. Here are the installed pics:

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg
I removed mine from my TRD Pro and installed some steps instead. If anyone is interested in mine, I was looking for $450 for the pair. The were removed less than a week after I bought my truck.

massm22

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover
I removed mine from my TRD Pro and installed some steps instead. If anyone is interested in mine, I was looking for $450 for the pair. The were removed less than a week after I bought my truck.
IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3283.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

massm22

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover

OP
OP
hemlockz

hemlockz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD Offroad 6MT
Thanks.. I thought I heard those TRD Pro steps are hanging off the body, not bolted to the frame rails like the Trailhunter rock rails? Hard to tell from the pics can you confirm?

massm22

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover
I didnā€™t insta
Thanks.. I thought I heard those TRD Pro steps are hanging off the body, not bolted to the frame rails like the Trailhunter rock rails? Hard to tell from the pics can you confirm?
ll did not install the steps but from the looks of it, my steps that I replaced the rails with are not attached to the frame but it looks like there were bolts attached to the frame. I just looked.

The dealership was closed here but thinking outside of the box, I called up a dealer in Hawaii (6 hours earlier there) and was told they bolt to the body not the frame

massm22

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover
ll did not install the steps but from the looks of it, my steps that I replaced the rails with are not attached to the frame but it looks like there were bolts attached to the frame. I just looked.

The dealership was closed here but thinking outside of the box, I called up a dealer in Hawaii (6 hours earlier there) and was told they bolt to the body not the frame
Before and after but I wasnā€™t thinking to look underneath before and after. Sorry

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg
Sponsored