Sponsored

Portugal Travel Tips Needed

stephtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma
Planning a trip to Portugal next year, and this article was a lifesaver https://juliedawnfox.com/rent-car-portugal/. Initially, I wanted a Tacoma-sized truck to explore outside Lisbon and Porto, but the article makes a great case for mini or economy cars. Cheaper to rent, and way easier to park! They also recommend getting an electronic toll device – might be worth looking into.

Anyone else have any Portugal travel tips, driving or otherwise?
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
We just got back. We rent small Econ box cars. From Geurdin, part of enterprise, on booking.com. We actually bought a place in Tavira and will retire there.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
What month(s) are you going? If you're going in April or May, splurge and get a convertible. If not, any car will do, really.

Do you have an itinerary? Hit me up on PM and I can give you lots of tips.

Source: lived in Portugal for 7 years, went back to visit as a tourist a few years back with the wife.

OP
OP

stephtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma
We just got back. We rent small Econ box cars. From Geurdin, part of enterprise, on booking.com. We actually bought a place in Tavira and will retire there.
That's great that you found a place to retire in Tavira, @goin2drt! The Algarve region seems like an excellent spot for retirement. I've heard it has beautiful beaches and a lovely climate. And thanks for the rental car tip as well - booking a small economy car through Enterprise/Geurdin is great to know. Appreciate you sharing your very recent Portugal trip! Wishing you all the best settling into your new home.

OP
OP

stephtaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma
What month(s) are you going? If you're going in April or May, splurge and get a convertible. If not, any car will do, really.

Do you have an itinerary? Hit me up on PM and I can give you lots of tips.

Source: lived in Portugal for 7 years, went back to visit as a tourist a few years back with the wife.
Thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you, @Ruissimo! A convertible does sound appealing if I go in spring, but I think I would be going in fall instead. I heard autumn coincides with the grape harvest season in addition to fewer crowds according to this https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-portugal-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5600. No firm itinerary yet, mostly wandering the coast and doing day trips from Lisbon and Porto especially Douro Valley. I'll shoot you a PM closer to time with more details on dates and places I'm considering.
Sponsored