Seats/Interior - Wet and Sand

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
I'm debating going back to a Toyota truck ('93 Pickup I4 was the last one), and I currently have a 2 door Bronco with vinyl seats/washout flooring. I've had Jeeps before that, I'm at the beach a ton surfing, kiteboarding, etc. The benefit to the truck is all the gear would be in the back, the downside is the interior/seats. I'm not trying to pay $9k to get Softex seats, I want either a PreRunner or base TRD Off Road.

So, my question is: how are the standard seats with respect to water and sand sticking, and secondly, is there a way to remove the carpet on the inside or does everyone just go with rubber mats?
Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I'm debating going back to a Toyota truck ('93 Pickup I4 was the last one), and I currently have a 2 door Bronco with vinyl seats/washout flooring. I've had Jeeps before that, I'm at the beach a ton surfing, kiteboarding, etc. The benefit to the truck is all the gear would be in the back, the downside is the interior/seats. I'm not trying to pay $9k to get Softex seats, I want either a PreRunner or base TRD Off Road.

So, my question is: how are the standard seats with respect to water and sand sticking, and secondly, is there a way to remove the carpet on the inside or does everyone just go with rubber mats?
The premium package seats are full of little holes we figured would be a problem for our lifestyle, and we were put off by cameras and features beyond what we wanted.

I'm not a surfer but trail building, ski area crew, and river running is full of dirt and sand. The airbag compatible seat covers below and floor mats are okay so far.

In my case I have honest or true light truck needs for a few years that also include the long bed. The short bed models can't reasonably fit stuff our minivan could and even our Outback.

A Jeep or the Fords we considered were just no way. The new Tacoma has top safety pick status. I had a rental Jeep for 2000 miles earlier in the year. For any complaints on the new Tacoma electronics, the Jeeps's were ass clown by comparison. The POS Jeep even had defroster problems where I learned there was a recall but still, defrosters are generations old technology.

A close associate with the late model Bronco really does like it but he can't get the fuel economy I'm getting with the Tacoma. For a new generation vehicle he's also had recalls and quirks my Tacoma has not had in same timeframe and mileage.

You would definitely have the wheelbase to manage if you get a long bed Tacoma over a Bronco or Jeep but that's not bothering me where again, a usable light truck is vital for my next few years.

Also on seats. My wife did not like the SR and SR5 seats against the TRD OR but they did not bother me as much. TRD OR also has electric locker important for me but it only works in 4x4 low. Many here go rather nuts with what they do for tires and mods but I'm finding the stock TRD OR tires and mechanicals really good. I'm not an offroad hobbyist but actually off road a lot. Trail crew is fairly demanding.

Good luck.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
The premium package seats are full of little holes we figured would be a problem for our lifestyle, and we were put off by cameras and features beyond what we wanted.

I'm not a surfer but trail building, ski area crew, and river running is full of dirt and sand. The airbag compatible seat covers below and floor mats are okay so far.

In my case I have honest or true light truck needs for a few years that also include the long bed. The short bed models can't reasonably fit stuff our minivan could and even our Outback.

A Jeep or the Fords we considered were just no way. The new Tacoma has top safety pick status. I had a rental Jeep for 2000 miles earlier in the year. For any complaints on the new Tacoma electronics, the Jeeps's were ass clown by comparison. The POS Jeep even had defroster problems where I learned there was a recall but still, defrosters are generations old technology.

A close associate with the late model Bronco really does like it but he can't get the fuel economy I'm getting with the Tacoma. For a new generation vehicle he's also had recalls and quirks my Tacoma has not had in same timeframe and mileage.

You would definitely have the wheelbase to manage if you get a long bed Tacoma over a Bronco or Jeep but that's not bothering me where again, a usable light truck is vital for my next few years.

Also on seats. My wife did not like the SR and SR5 seats against the TRD OR but they did not bother me as much. TRD OR also has electric locker important for me but it only works in 4x4 low. Many here go rather nuts with what they do for tires and mods but I'm finding the stock TRD OR tires and mechanicals really good. I'm not an offroad hobbyist but actually off road a lot. Trail crew is fairly demanding.

Good luck.
Yeah, I had a JK and JL between the '93 Toyota and my Bronco now, that's basically all the vehicles I've owned in the past 25 years. I'm done with Jeep, they have issues for sure, and are just basically uncomfortable, especially compared to the new Bronco.

I will say, the new Bronco (2 door in this instance) is very comfortable, and I've driven back to back with the Tacoma (I had the Tacoma for a week in Utah). The seats in the Bronco are great, and there's more room width and length. I removed the back seats and have a roof rack/MTB (1up rack) on the back, so.......I can camp for a good while in it. Fuel economy I have the 2.3L 7MT and I'm getting 21 in mixed driving over 21k miles so far.

It's hard to leave the Bronco for the Tacoma, I stayed away from the 3rd gen because those seats killed me and I wanted something for more off-roading. Now I"m off-roading less, but camping more, so......debating a truck again.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Yeah, I had a JK and JL between the '93 Toyota and my Bronco now, that's basically all the vehicles I've owned in the past 25 years. I'm done with Jeep, they have issues for sure, and are just basically uncomfortable, especially compared to the new Bronco.

I will say, the new Bronco (2 door in this instance) is very comfortable, and I've driven back to back with the Tacoma (I had the Tacoma for a week in Utah). The seats in the Bronco are great, and there's more room width and length. I removed the back seats and have a roof rack/MTB (1up rack) on the back, so.......I can camp for a good while in it. Fuel economy I have the 2.3L 7MT and I'm getting 21 in mixed driving over 21k miles so far.

It's hard to leave the Bronco for the Tacoma, I stayed away from the 3rd gen because those seats killed me and I wanted something for more off-roading. Now I"m off-roading less, but camping more, so......debating a truck again.
Good luck. My friend with the Bronco admits it is easier for him because they have the complimentary civilized family car and his business has different sized work vans.

My '24 Tacoma has around 3500 miles now and fuel economy is generally in line with EPA estimates. It is not at all hard to get 23-24.5 or better MPG but not with heavier payloads and 75 MPH+ freeway driving.

It is definitely the most pleasurable pickup I've had among 5 total and ones I rent or use for work but it's still a light truck. If I did not have the work needs I'd enjoy a car the most and my wife has a nice one.
Sponsored