Sponsored

Steering Wheel Not Locking

Leo319

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
Hello all,

Asking for some help here.. So, I am setting my 24 TRD sport for towing behind our RV on all 4 tires. I have everything wired and installed, but I just ran into a small problem bypassing the steering wheel lock.

The way to unlock the steering wheel and keep the truck turned off while towing is by tapping into the steering wheel fuse, and installing an in-line switch (or removing the fuse) during accessory mode, then turn everything off. This is what I am trying to achieve, but before I connected my switch to tap into the fuse, I wanted to endure my tapping was done correctly and start with a “locked” steering wheel, but I have not been able to get my steering wheel to lock.

So here is what I need help with: Can anyone check if your steering wheel locks after you turn off your truck and open your door? My steering wheel isn’t locking. I have tried everything: turning off, unlocking doors, opening and closing doors, locking everything, and walking away, but the steering wheel isn’t locking. It should lock once you open the door after you turn the truck off.

I have the front wheels 1-2 inches on the air, and I can move them with my hands. I have also tried with the wheels on the ground, and the steering wheel isn’t locking.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you all!
Sponsored

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
Hello all,

Asking for some help here.. So, I am setting my 24 TRD sport for towing behind our RV on all 4 tires. I have everything wired and installed, but I just ran into a small problem bypassing the steering wheel lock.

The way to unlock the steering wheel and keep the truck turned off while towing is by tapping into the steering wheel fuse, and installing an in-line switch (or removing the fuse) during accessory mode, then turn everything off. This is what I am trying to achieve, but before I connected my switch to tap into the fuse, I wanted to endure my tapping was done correctly and start with a “locked” steering wheel, but I have not been able to get my steering wheel to lock.

So here is what I need help with: Can anyone check if your steering wheel locks after you turn off your truck and open your door? My steering wheel isn’t locking. I have tried everything: turning off, unlocking doors, opening and closing doors, locking everything, and walking away, but the steering wheel isn’t locking. It should lock once you open the door after you turn the truck off.

I have the front wheels 1-2 inches on the air, and I can move them with my hands. I have also tried with the wheels on the ground, and the steering wheel isn’t locking.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you all!
I had notice the same recently?

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Pretty sure mine doesn’t lock, I know I’ve straightened my steering wheel on my Tacoma many times after the truck is shut off to install the steering club. Pretty sure many manufacturers have gone away with steering wheel (column) locks, don’t serve any purpose anymore (Well maybe for towing)

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-newer-cars-not-have-steering-locks#:~:text=They%20aren't%20all%20still,accessing%20and%20starting%20the%20vehicle.

https://zips.com/parts-detail/b-a-products-steering-wheel-lock-with-cl-8-34clawhooks
Sponsored

Last edited: