Sponsored

Tailgate Weight Limit?

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Any theories on a realistic weight limit for the tailgate? I need to load a motorcycle weighing about 500lbs via a ramp. The only dynamic portion of the weight will be during the loading. The bulk of the bike, if not all, will sit in the bed. This is on a long bed.

I know older generations had issues with the tailgate buckling (2nd gen), and there's no published number I can find of the weight limits. It looks like the tailgate is much thicker than older models, but hard to tell if that's structural or cosmetic.
Sponsored

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
Any theories on a realistic weight limit for the tailgate? I need to load a motorcycle weighing about 500lbs via a ramp. The only dynamic portion of the weight will be during the loading. The bulk of the bike, if not all, will sit in the bed. This is on a long bed.

I know older generations had issues with the tailgate buckling (2nd gen), and there's no published number I can find of the weight limits. It looks like the tailgate is much thicker than older models, but hard to tell if that's structural or cosmetic.
Place a 2 X 4 across the length of the tailgate to distribute the ramp load if you have concern.

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
I wouldnt worry about it, you're not parking it on the tailgate. Just load it up.
Sponsored