Sponsored

Tacoma Albert

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma TRD Off-road
Does anyone have a logical idea as to why they decreased the fuel tank size? I can’t see it being a cost reduction?

OP
OP
Planoman

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Does anyone have a logical idea as to why they decreased the fuel tank size? I can’t see it being a cost reduction?
I wish the engineers had prioritized range for a tank of fuel. I do not believe it was lack of space that reduced the size of the fuel tank in the 4th gen vs 3rd gen.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Someone said the Tundra's tank might fit the Taco... but man, I can't imagine that being a simple or cheap modification. I wouldn't mind a 500 mile range!

Sponsored

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
Someone said the Tundra's tank might fit the Taco... but man, I can't imagine that being a simple or cheap modification. I wouldn't mind a 500 mile range!
I posted pictures on another thread that show very little room for a larger tank. The exhaust limits the space and now I need to crawl black under there to see what f there would have been more room on the outside yet side as Toyota switched side for the tank.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
I got 374 miles last tank and have yet to put in more that 16.5 gallon on refill.
Exactly. And what does your estimated range say when you first fill up? Not 374 right?

I was just pointing out that the initial range estimate when you first fill up is WIDLEY underestimated

OP
OP
Planoman

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted pictures on another thread that show very little room for a larger tank. The exhaust limits the space and now I need to crawl black under there to see what f there would have been more room on the outside yet side as Toyota switched side for the tank.
I just crawled under and the fuel tank is between the frame and drive shaft and the exhaust comes from the passenger side and crosses over to the driver side which limits the forward space of the tank. Interesting that the tank fills on the drivers side but sits on the passendger side and the exhaust starts on the passenger side and comes out on the drivers side. I wish Sheldon had said we need a 20 gallon tank, make it happen!

Makes me miss the range on the 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring I bought used for my eldest daughter. It has a 15.8 gallon fuel tank and got 50 MPG. It had a range of almost 750 miles!

Last edited:

Jobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
I just crawled under and the fuel tank is between the frame and drive shaft and the exhaust comes from the passenger side and crosses over to the driver side which limits the forward space of the tank. Interesting that the tank fills on the drivers side but sits on the passendger side and the exhaust starts on the passenger side and comes out on the drivers side. I wish Sheldon had said we need a 20 gallon tank, make it happen.
Thanks for confirming that.. in case anyone wants a visual, @CATOY put together a video & photos of the 2024 Tacoma's fuel tank and undercarriage in a thread :

2024 Tacoma Fuel Tank Size and room for swap / expansion (underbody undercarriage video & photos)

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/thre...on-underbody-undercarriage-video-photos.2062/

JCNFLA

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD SPORT
I have had mine since the 14th still on dealers tank of gas getting about 20.4 to the gal. The ride has been awesome wish gas tank was bigger for sure, basically now waiting for all the accessories to hit so I can mod out my truck.!!!

Sponsored

Tacohunter2024

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 Prime → '24 TRD OR or Sport
I had one of those drop down steps that sits at the corner of the bumper on a Ram. I had to get it off Amazon because the dealer I bought the truck from stop selling the steps, they're too dangerous. After owning it for a while, I would agree (at least where I live). Ice and snow catch in there in the winter, then it's the last place you want to step. That's if it isn't frozen into the closed position. It holds the slush and dirt in there to rust everything around it.

I'm with the previous poster, I just keep a step stool in the truck and save a few hundred dollars.

OP
OP
Planoman

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had one of those drop down steps that sits at the corner of the bumper on a Ram. I had to get it off Amazon because the dealer I bought the truck from stop selling the steps, they're too dangerous. After owning it for a while, I would agree (at least where I live). Ice and snow catch in there in the winter, then it's the last place you want to step. That's if it isn't frozen into the closed position. It holds the slush and dirt in there to rust everything around it.

I'm with the previous poster, I just keep a step stool in the truck and save a few hundred dollars.
I found a inexpensive folding 13 inch stool on amazon! Lol! Gonna try it out! Worse case I will have it in my garage!

ACKO Folding Step Stool 13 inch Heavy Duty Plastic Foldable Step Stool $15.78

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
My guess is to use the same tank on the Hyrbid; and the battery takes up space. Just a guess.

OP
OP
Planoman

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOW! Power is NOT one of the things that needs improving! I was returning home today after riding my bike and there was some pre rush hour traffic building on a toll road. If you don't know about Texas Toll roads, people fly on them! I was merging to get on and hit the gas (Normal Mode) and was quite impressed with how quickly this truck got up to 75-80! I was like wow! No question it is faster than my 2023 Off Road 3rd Gen! Looking forward to sport mode!

2024 Tacoma After 10 days with my 2024 Tacoma Off-Road --- things that could be improved... 24Taco85
Sponsored

Last edited: