Sponsored

Auto Trailer Detection issue -- my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
This happened to me as well. Nothing I tried seemed to work, tried removing trailer, adding it back in. I kind of gave up and after about 15 minutes of driving, it switched back to normal.
Mine hasn’t reset after another day and approx 10 kms.
Looking forward to this fix.
Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mine hasn’t reset after another day and approx 10 kms.
Looking forward to this fix.
It's not a very good use case, but I'm pretty sure if you select "NO" to the trailer detected message, it should work. It worked for me. I just wish you could take that setting off AFTER you remove the trailer. Good luck!

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Has anyone spoken to Toyota or their local dealership about this? I called Toyota customer service yesterday and they had no clue this was an issue. After 15 minutes of trying to explain to them what the issue was, they just directed me to my local dealership. The dealership said I'd have to take it in to get it looked at. How can they possibly not know this is an issue?

tkrum015

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Toyota finally responded and said the trailer had to be reattached to get computer to reset. I tried it but didn’t work. What did work was driving forward and backward with trailer attached until truck asked if trailer was attached. I chose “no” and the system turned off the trailer detection. Then turned off rear parking sensor so I could back the trailer up. Shouldn’t have to trick the system. Hope they fix the glitch for real.
So did you do the back and forth with the trailer cable disconnected?

tkrum015

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mine also has had the same message. One thing we have not talked about is how your vehicle is equipped. I do not have rear sensors or the trailer brakes. The above mentioned steps seem to work for those who do.

Took mine into My dealer today who told me to do those same steps. They said they have work for the 5 or 6 ones they have had but mine has stumped them. Left truck at the dealer and they will talk to the Toyota techs in Texas tomorrow. More to come.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BFDJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
So did you do the back and forth with the trailer cable disconnected?
Did not plug in harness. Does not need it to detect trailer. Trailer is detected with parking sensors.

Nbuttery

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-road 6’ bed
Towed trailer with TRD OR with towing package. The truck has the auto trailer detection system when you plug in the trailer or if it detects one with the sensors. When this happens the system turns off several safety systems. Problem is that my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer. Took to the dealer and they said it is a known problem by Toyota and it will be at least several months before they have a fix. So no lane keeping with cruise etc.

Tried pulling fuses and disconnecting all power but the ECU won't reset. Anyone have solution?
Hopefully you have resolved your problem by now but I wanted to add my experience in hopes that Toyota is monitoring this forum and will see they have a problem.
I had the exact problem you described after connecting my utility trailer with the 4-pin connector. After reading this and other forums, I reconnected the trailer with my 7-pin connector, drove around my neighborhood then parked and disconnected the seven pin (and the trailer) while the car was running. I then started driving the car down my driveway when up popped the screen saying “I no longer think you have a trailer connected. OK to confirm”. Once I confirmed the icon in bottom right of screen went away and all the safety sense started working again. I need to test further but I think Toyota has a problem with their trailer detection when the 4-pin connector is used.
I tried calling Toyota customer support to report the issue but all they wanted was for me to take my vehicle to the dealer. Waste of time.

Nixamantacoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
This past week I picked up my Tacoma Sport with premium upgrade.

I’m helping my son move some things to his new apartment, so I rented a small U-Haul trailer.

It was hooked up and it had the 4 pin connector. As I started to drive I received the message about trailer detected. I answered “yes” and it updated the icon deactivated sittings.

Once I got home and backed the trailer into driveway I went ahead and unhooked it.

Then as I drove away, the message popped up that a trailer was no longer detected. I answered “yes” that there was no longer attached. At that point all sittings were restored and icon removed.

its been working fine.

Tomorrow will be the move , so I will have another opportunity to see how it goes. But at least today no issues at all.

UPDATE: I moved my son today. I backed up and hooked up the U-HAUL trailer. I then drove about 20 yards and it displayed the message about detecting the trailer and to confirm, so I selected “yes”. It turned on the trailer assisted sitting

After getting him moved, returned the trailer. We unhooked it, then again I drove about 20 yards and then it displayed the message about no trailer being detected. So it asked for confirmation that no trailer was there. I then confirmed “No”. It then returned off the trailer assisted sitting.

So all is working great!!

Last edited:

Paul_1978

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport+ 6M
Towed my utility trailer yesterday using the 4-pin, came home disconnected and parked. This morning it was still detecting the trailer, drove to work and back, still thinks it has a trailer.

I just hooked up the trailer using a 7-pin to 4-pin adaptor, drove forward 30 feet, got the message about trailer detected yes/no, hit no. Then slowly backed the trailer into place with all the collision warnings going off, unhooked and all seems to be good.

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
This past week I picked up my Tacoma Sport with premium upgrade.

I’m helping my son move some things to his new apartment, so I rented a small U-Haul trailer.

It was hooked up and it had the 4 pin connector. As I started to drive I received the message about trailer detected. I answered “yes” and it updated the icon deactivated sittings.

Once I got home and backed the trailer into driveway I went ahead and unhooked it.

Then as I drove away, the message popped up that a trailer was no longer detected. I answered “yes” that there was no longer attached. At that point all sittings were restored and icon removed.

its been working fine.

Tomorrow will be the move , so I will have another opportunity to see how it goes. But at least today no issues at all.

UPDATE: I moved my son today. I backed up and hooked up the U-HAUL trailer. I then drove about 20 yards and it displayed the message about detecting the trailer and to confirm, so I selected “yes”. It turned on the trailer assisted sitting

After getting him moved, returned the trailer. We unhooked it, then again I drove about 20 yards and then it displayed the message about no trailer being detected. So it asked for confirmation that no trailer was there. I then confirmed “No”. It then returned off the trailer assisted sitting.

So all is working great!!
Build date? Hopefully Toyota already has a fix?

Nixamantacoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
I don't understand why step 7 is saying you should select yes or ok when the trailer is removed. Am I missing something here?
In my experience, this message is when it detects that there is no longer a trailer detected.

so after I unhooked the trailer and drove away, it asked me if there was no longer a trailer. To confirm, Yes or No. I selected Yes. Meaning the trailer had been removed.

with that response it correctly resets the sittings for no trailer
Sponsored