Sponsored

Auto Trailer Detection issue -- my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
In my experience, this message is when it detects that there is no longer a trailer detected.

so after I unhooked the trailer and drove away, it asked me if there was no longer a trailer. To confirm, Yes or No. I selected Yes. Meaning the trailer had been removed.

with that response it correctly resets the sittings for no trailer
Ok, I'm following now. That makes sense. Thanks!
Sponsored

Iam_Q

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR M/T
Towed trailer with TRD OR with towing package. The truck has the auto trailer detection system when you plug in the trailer or if it detects one with the sensors. When this happens the system turns off several safety systems. Problem is that my truck still says the trailer is detected after disconnecting the trailer. Took to the dealer and they said it is a known problem by Toyota and it will be at least several months before they have a fix. So no lane keeping with cruise etc.

Tried pulling fuses and disconnecting all power but the ECU won't reset. Anyone have solution?
I noticed on my truck that issue went away when I took off the hitch from the receiver, then the phantom trailer disappears. I think it has to do with the backup and trailer sensor actually seeing the hitch and thinking there is a trailer present. I do have an oversized hitch with adjustable heights so that would be my issue. My two cents..

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
One more thing to through out that may have gotten lost:
per the manual, the trailer being removed will only be automatically detected when using the 7-pin. If using the 4-pin, you must tell the system manually it is no longer attached.
Sponsored