Sponsored

Jer8274

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Hello all. I sold my 2019 TRD Pro in 2022 and recently got into a 2024 Off-Road Tacoma. The trucks are like night and day when comparing the two.

The 4th generation trucks are not a refreshed version of the 3rd generation vehicles. They feature a new generation frame, engine, transmission, rear suspension, 2 inch deeper bed, dashboard, etc.

The biggest change that I immediately noticed was the improved cab ergonomics. No more backaches with my 4th generation truck. I could never get comfortable in my 2019. I felt like I was sitting in the floor no matter how much I adjusted the seating position. I recently completed a two hour trip in the ‘24 and I was comfortable the entire drive. It got to the point where we would only take the 2019 Tacoma on short trips around town as lengthy trips were just too uncomfortable.

The second thing I noticed was the transmission smoothness. The 8-speed auto shifts like a dream. My 2019 6-speed was a gear hunter. I had two tranny software updates installed but I never noticed a difference. The 2019 tranny would constantly shift gears and it was extremely annoying.

The third item that I immediately noticed was the excellent torque coming from the new T24A-FTS engine. This new engine has great torque and runs at a low RPM. I have zero issues climbing up grades due to the excellent torque characteristics from the 2.4L turbo motor. I much prefer this engine over the 3.5L V6 that came on my 2019. I must admit that I was skeptical going from a V6 to an inline 4 but living with the truck has convinced me that I made the right move.

The fourth immediate improvement was the cab quietness. It’s much improved over the 3rd generation trucks. The designers and engineers did an excellent job reducing noise inside the cabin. it imparts a feeling of luxury inside the truck.

My fifth area of improvement has to with build quality. I was a bit skeptical as all Tacoma production has switched to Mexico. My July assembled truck feels extremely well put together. Zero rattles, squeaks or other annoying noises. I would say the fit and finish is actually better on the 2024 when compared to the 2019. I could not find one paint flaw after inspecting the entire Solar Octane paint application. Every body panel was aligned perfectly and I noted zero panel gaps.

For those who have an older generation Tacoma and are entertaining a 2024 I would suggest taking the leap. Discounts of $2-3k are now happening as we get closer the 2025 model year and the truck has been out now for 6 + months.

Cheers
I switched from a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner to a Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 and couldn't agree with you more about this truck being a completely new animal all its own! I have 3500 super comfy miles to date.

2024 Tacoma 2024 impressions from a 2019 Tacoma owner 20240812_084256
Sponsored

jharger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5 Tacoma
I paid $43k for a 2024 DCLB Off-Road (my 2019 was $38k). Only add-ons were heated seats, mud-flaps and spray-in bedliner (It came this way). Very happy. Amazed at all the standard sensors and features this thing has.
Haha, that's not a spray in bed liner. I thought the same about mine at first. The entire bed is a composite. (fiberglass filled nylon or something of the sort) Take a look underneath and you can see. I haven't decided if that's a plus or minus but it's light weight and will never rust. You'll also find the outer bed shell is aluminum.

infantry317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Haha, that's not a spray in bed liner. I thought the same about mine at first. The entire bed is a composite. (fiberglass filled nylon or something of the sort) Take a look underneath and you can see. I haven't decided if that's a plus or minus but it's light weight and will never rust. You'll also find the outer bed shell is aluminum.
I had a 2019. It's different than just composite, it's a rough texture and I can see errors where they kinda missed under the rails. It is an added feature on the window sticker.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Some Tacomas are getting a spray in bed liner on top of the composite at the port. I have had two Tacomas with composite beds and there is no need for that, and I have read that it does not stick all that well to the bed material. All you really need is a bed mat, because the composite beds are slippery.

For me the composite bed is a total plus. My Tacomas have been used as trucks and have hauled all kinds of stuff with no damage, no rust, and no problems of any kind.

This new gen is amazing. Toyota has not done a complete redo on the Tacoma since they introduced the 2nd gen n 2005. That is a long time, but it means that when they do update their trucks they are very different. There isn't anything that I don't like about my 4th gen, from the drivetrain, to the interior to the killer good looks.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Yes, the Tacoma went nearly 20 years before a clean sheet of paper redesign.

Toyota got away with it because it was the #1 mid size pickup in the segment with an amazing reputation for resale value, dependability, reliability and quality.

Sponsored

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
Its obviously a better truck but, inflation or not, the 2024s are too expensive at MSRP for most to seriously consider, especially those with a proven V6. If the new hybrid truck had been rated at 30 MPG as had been initially rumored, the purchase costs would have been more justifiable and the buzz around the truck would be much different. Nice truck but missed opportunity IMO.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@JWestie I just got back from driving my 4th gen and the smile is still on my face.

On the price, there is a 2023 Limited for sale at my dealer right now for $47,400 - less power and far fewer features than a 4th gen for not a lot less money. 4th gen prices seem right to me and I bought one - the prices don't seem right to you, so you are correct not to. I do suggest that you shop the competition which will show that feature for feature Tacomas are not that much more expensive than Chevys or Fords.

I don't agree on the hybrid either. I didn't buy it for the mileage but for the power. It is strong, smooth and sure footed in a way that the old V6 never was, and I owned a couple of them.

So one man's missed opportunity it another's dream truck. If sales tank it will prove you right and if they don't I will just keep on smiling.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Now that the 4th Gen. been out for 6+ months great deals are starting to become available on all models minus the Pro/Trailhunter.
Sponsored