Sponsored

Gulf States Toyota - ripoff?

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
I bought from Wolfchase Toyota in Western Tennessee at MSRP. No markup, no discount. As it was not yet built they submitted every delete and add I asked for with no pushback. They arranged private transport for me as well to ship it the 940ish miles to my house.

HIGHLY recommend Jen and Wolfchase if they have a truck on lot or allocation that fits your needs.

HardShellTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Tacoma TRD extra cab, MT
I broke down the PIO from Gulf States and came to the following conclusions:
  • Ball Mount - $89.00 from GS, $20.42 from Amazon, $23.77 from etrailer.com, and $65 from autoparts.toyot.com
  • Blackout package - $349 from GS, no way to know the actual value.
  • Dashcam - $499 from GS, $450 from autoparts.toyota.com. The highest-rated dashcams on Amazon all come in around $150-$170 dollars.
  • CONNECTIVITY KIT - $75.00!!! A USB charger, a lightning cable, and a USB-C cable (3 ft.). Can be assembled for $19.96 from Amazon, as if you didn't already have all that stuff. A complete rip-off.
  • Exhaust Tip - Black Chrome - $130 from GS, $100 from Toyota Parts. Not something I would buy, but multiple vendors have them for less than $100.
  • Spray-on bedliner - $575.00. A spray-in liner on a composite bed? Really?? Tough to evaluate, because I think a bed mat from Toyota for about $200 is a better solution. Even if I went with a spray-in liner, local Rhino liner dealers (where they care about quality) are less than $500. There's no chance the person spraying the bed at the Houston prep center gives a dang about a quality job. The odds that GS buys a high quality coating? Almost zero.
  • Vehicle Protection Package - $399.00 - No way to evaluate, but it has to be carelessly-applied Scotch Gard and cheap paint coatings. Easy to get better value for way less than $100.
I have to conclude that PIO from GS is just a stealth way to jack up margins. The options are terrible and overpriced. Not a good value. I resent having to buy any of it. A total rip-off.

tnjwinters

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
The fact of the matter is that the easiest way to get Gulf States to change is to stop buying from them. The reality is most buyers just don’t care enough to do anything about it. I would never be willing to buy from any dealer for even a penny over MSRP. Always willing to buy a plane ticket and drive home for what I want.

HardShellTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Ball Mount - $89.00 from GS, $20.42 from Amazon, $23.77 from etrailer.com, and $65 from autoparts.toyot.com
  • Dashcam - $499 from GS, $450 from autoparts.toyota.com. The highest-rated dashcams on Amazon all come in around $150-$170 dollars.
  • CONNECTIVITY KIT - $75.00!!! A USB charger, a lightning cable, and a USB-C cable (3 ft.). Can be assembled for $19.96 from Amazon, as if you didn't already have all that stuff. A complete rip-off.
  • Exhaust Tip - Black Chrome - $130 from GS, $100 from Toyota Parts. Not something I would buy, but multiple vendors have them for less than $100.
  • Spray-on bedliner - $575.00. A spray-in liner on a composite bed? Really?? Tough to evaluate, because I think a bed mat from Toyota for about $200 is a better solution. Even if I went with a spray-in liner, local Rhino liner dealers (where they care about quality) are less than $500. There's no chance the person spraying the bed at the Houston prep center gives a dang about a quality job. The odds that GS buys a high quality coating? Almost zero.
  • Vehicle Protection Package - $399.00 - No way to evaluate, but it has to be carelessly-applied Scotch Gard and cheap paint coatings. Easy to get better value for way less than $100.
I have to conclude that PIO from GS is just a stealth way to jack up margins. The options are terrible and overpriced. Not a good value. I resent having to buy any of it. A total rip-off.
Oh, sorry - don't even get me started on, "predator steps." Tons of options for hundreds less. You're going to bend those steps the first time you go offroad. They'll collect ALL the slush in the winter.

Garbage.

Top-rated rock sliders are hundreds less.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Frog Mack

Frog Mack

First Name
Frog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD, 14 FJC
I would never be willing to buy from any dealer...
True enough if we were discussing a dealer. Obviously, some people understand the issue better than others from reading the posts above. A monopolistic 5-state distributor is not the same as a dealer.

If a town has a crooked mayor, sure you can move to another town. But that doesn't mean the crooked mayor shouldn't be exposed - obviously not the same, but does require thought(?)

So, if the, as in "THE" distributor forces all the dealers into participating in their scams, yes, I can avoid the 150 nearest Toyota dealerships that are closest to me, fly 4 states away, and save $4K, but does that mean it's somehow unethical or dumb to point out that this is a bad situation?

HardShellTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True enough if we were discussing a dealer. Obviously, some people understand the issue better than others from reading the posts above. A monopolistic 5-state distributor is not the same as a dealer.

If a town has a crooked mayor, sure you can move to another town. But that doesn't mean the crooked mayor shouldn't be exposed - obviously not the same, but does require thought(?)

So, if the, as in "THE" distributor forces all the dealers into participating in their scams, yes, I can avoid the 150 nearest Toyota dealerships that are closest to me, fly 4 states away, and save $4K, but does that mean it's somehow unethical or dumb to point out that this is a bad situation?
The trouble with Gulf States is the founder really was a pioneer when it comes to Toyota. He was one of the first people to introduce the brand into the US, and he helped grow their early market share. With a legacy like that, they'll be tough to dislodge. I feel like they've drifted away from their legacy, but Toyota is probably loyal to a fault to Gulf States.

Airborne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4runner
Your a grown man that earns your own money, nobody held your hand at gunpoint to buy new vehicle…….you signed all documents, loan papers and drove off the lot…Todays modern day is full of options , im not buying into this being forced to buy from specific dealership , and im thinking you were so overwhelmed, perhaps the dealership “got you financed ,when others coludnt ? So you just signed and drove, or this is a big “ pitty party “ of buyers remorse and youll default on loan , or trade in when the tacoma trend wheres off …….No one can force you how to spend your hard earned money.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
says the man from Idaho.

all dealers in the midsouth can only buy from Gulf States Toyota, the only distributor for the midsouth. So yes, we can go 3 states away, but not as simple as “find another dealer”.

Every dealer in 7 states is the same. This is the right side of the sticker that didn’t used to be there.
You’re buying a vehicle, brother. Your old one drives over state lines, yeah?

it is quite simple as that. In fact, a broker on here could’ve helped you within minutes. You can also just use Toyotas search, input a zip code outside of your region, and sort by cheapest. Hell, many when deliver them to you to next to no cost.

no use crying over spilled milk and you will love your truck. There were and are options however.

Sponsored

HardShellTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your a grown man that earns your own money, nobody held your hand at gunpoint to buy new vehicle…….you signed all documents, loan papers and drove off the lot…Todays modern day is full of options , im not buying into this being forced to buy from specific dealership , and im thinking you were so overwhelmed, perhaps the dealership “got you financed ,when others coludnt ? So you just signed and drove, or this is a big “ pitty party “ of buyers remorse and youll default on loan , or trade in when the tacoma trend wheres off …….No one can force you how to spend your hard earned money.
I don't think it's a bad thing to get the facts out there so people know right off the bat to shop around. It's good for people who are still looking to know that Gulf States doesn't provide good value with their port-installed options.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
It’s nothing short of infuriating. Add to this that they do zero for you when you have an actual issue with your truck or when you want to do meaningful maintenance but try to replace your air filter for $60 every time you even drive by their service department.

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited
Its like this in the Northeast Especially Mass. Huge dealer "Market Adjustments" etc. What search tools is everyone using to find decent dealers with fair prices?

HardShellTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its like this in the Northeast Especially Mass. Huge dealer "Market Adjustments" etc. What search tools is everyone using to find decent dealers with fair prices?
I generally use Toyota's own search tool, but I change my zip code and play with the radius of the search. Not perfect, but workable. There's an inventory list here in the forums somewhere, but it doesn't contain pricing. It could help you find where the trucks are, though. I'm going for a rare spec, so I'm getting closer and closer to hiring my favorite broker to do the search.
Sponsored