Sponsored

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I don't buy the argument that colder air will do anything for a turbocharged engine that has an intercooler to cool the air after it's pressurized, especially since the air isn't coming from the engine bay in the stock configuration.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Those are pretty significant gains with just an airbox redesign.
yes they are but could be closed course racing only. The Toyota TRD cold air intake kits prolly has less gains but does not void warranty and emissions. For stock ecu and TRD exhaust TRD cold air intake high octane will give a great lil bump in performance. Ecu tune and this Stillen with aftermarket exhausts will really wake this turbo motor up. Pretty amazing the significance from just being breathed on a lil bit.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I don't buy the argument that colder air will do anything for a turbocharged engine that has an intercooler to cool the air after it's pressurized, especially since the air isn't coming from the engine bay in the stock configuration.
I used to own an 87 Buick Grand National, I bought it with 2751 miles on it. I drag raced it at sears point a lot. I can tell you that cooler ambient air temperature would make a lot more horsepower, even though the vehicle had an intercooler. The MPH difference would increase by 3 mph at the traps- also with cold weather was less traction. My guess is that this air box is eliminating restriction more than anything else. In hydraulics, anytime there is a sharp bend in a hydraulic hose, it creates friction/restriction. My guess is that air behaves the same, just not as extreme as fluid. I like this idea, but after a forum member shared that k n filter vs paper air filters, it mortified me…

Sponsored

Steelhead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Then why does TOYOTA TRD cold air intake exist? You have absolutely no ground to stand on here. Let owners modify there trucks for more performance in peace. Call up Toyota corporate and ask them about there TRD cold air intake kits get the facts.
It exists because guys like you buy into the overpriced mods that produce very little if any actual performance gains , LOL, as if Toyota would leave that much untapped power off the table with just a air box design , oh boy

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
My guess is the OEM air cleaner assembly is designed as a compromise- one that tries to offer enough air volume and also dampen turbo noise?

-Strike-

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2024 Nissan Z
The OEM air cleaners and intakes on turbocharged vehicles are always a major restriction. Sure they may draw the air from the same source. But, they're full of restrictive baffling and silencers to quiet the charge. Most people don't want to hear intake noises. Take your stock airbox cover off and rev the engine a few times. You'll hear the noise they're trying to quiet down.

Opening up the intake on any turbocharged vehicle is almost always beneficial in some sort of way. Gains may not be fully utilized unless you have supporting mods like a less restrictive exhaust/turbo downpipe, an aftermarket tune to perfect the system.

I'm coming from a history of turbocharged vehicles.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
but after a forum member shared that k n filter vs paper air filters, it mortified me…
No kidding on the K&N "filters." Maybe that's where they are getting a lot of the boost (without actually filtering out the dust).

Sponsored
OP
OP

evlfred

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Tundra Plat
I would agree that stillens design is only modifying the intake path as it used the stock intake location. When he shows the airpath the stock box takes I can totally see where a straight path would create better airflow ie more power. Its not about the air temp compared to stock.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
It’s cool that Toyota even offers the TRD parts and a full kit like the Tundra would be cool. There are those that wish to not void warranty and emissions. Is TRD expensive with small gains yes but it keeps you covered by Toyota. Now these aftermarket performance products have huge advantages in performance but most likely void warranty and emissions some do not care about that. I am excited for the aftermarket to catch up to see the guys doing bigger turbo and extensive modifications and create some really crazy Tacoma‘s. Turbo is so cool!

BuriedFriend

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Pro
Colder air or cooler air helps on multiple levels. First and for most cooler air is more condensed meaning more air per volume. Second cooler air helps cool the turbo espically if you’re not using a turbo oil cooler. Compressing the air with the turbo creates heat thus comes in the intercooler. But if you have cooler air being fed in to the compressor (turbo) cooler air leaves. I noticed a big difference when I was building my turbo civic not only in performance, but in turbo temps as well. Hope that makes sense.
Sponsored