Sponsored

1-Piece vs 2-Piece Rear Driveshafts

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I have heard that most 4th gens will have 1-piece rear driveshafts. so far, everything on YouTube that ends up under a truck has shown a shiny aluminum 1-piece driveshaft.

I don't recall where I read it, but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that "some models" have 2-piece driveshafts with the center support bearing. Is this true? I feel like maybe it was manual transmissions that get the 2-piece? Can anyone chime in with what they have, and the details of their truck?

It's not really critical info, I'm just curious. I had a center support bearing go bad on my 3rd gen, would be nice to have a 1-piece factory shaft. I am interested in the manual transmission only, so that is the one that interests me the most as to what driveshaft it would come with.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
my 2wd trd sport has a 2 piece driveshaft with carrier bearing

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks for the comments. Curious to see if more chime in over time, but my guess would be 4x4 is 1-piece and 4x2 is 2-piece due to the additional length from no t-case. I had no qualms with 2-piece until the bearing went bad, now it annoys me and would prefer 1-piece. Not a fan of the aluminum aspect, a lot more difficult to change the u-joints in without screwing up the driveshaft, but I get why they do it.