Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Hello all. I sold my 2019 TRD Pro in 2022 and recently got into a 2024 Off-Road Tacoma. The trucks are like night and day when comparing the two.

The 4th generation trucks are not a refreshed version of the 3rd generation vehicles. They feature a new generation frame, engine, transmission, rear suspension, 2 inch deeper bed, dashboard, etc.

The biggest change that I immediately noticed was the improved cab ergonomics. No more backaches with my 4th generation truck. I could never get comfortable in my 2019. I felt like I was sitting in the floor no matter how much I adjusted the seating position. I recently completed a two hour trip in the ‘24 and I was comfortable the entire drive. It got to the point where we would only take the 2019 Tacoma on short trips around town as lengthy trips were just too uncomfortable.

The second thing I noticed was the transmission smoothness. The 8-speed auto shifts like a dream. My 2019 6-speed was a gear hunter. I had two tranny software updates installed but I never noticed a difference. The 2019 tranny would constantly shift gears and it was extremely annoying.

The third item that I immediately noticed was the excellent torque coming from the new T24A-FTS engine. This new engine has great torque and runs at a low RPM. I have zero issues climbing up grades due to the excellent torque characteristics from the 2.4L turbo motor. I much prefer this engine over the 3.5L V6 that came on my 2019. I must admit that I was skeptical going from a V6 to an inline 4 but living with the truck has convinced me that I made the right move.

The fourth immediate improvement was the cab quietness. It’s much improved over the 3rd generation trucks. The designers and engineers did an excellent job reducing noise inside the cabin. it imparts a feeling of luxury inside the truck.

My fifth area of improvement has to with build quality. I was a bit skeptical as all Tacoma production has switched to Mexico. My July assembled truck feels extremely well put together. Zero rattles, squeaks or other annoying noises. I would say the fit and finish is actually better on the 2024 when compared to the 2019. I could not find one paint flaw after inspecting the entire Solar Octane paint application. Every body panel was aligned perfectly and I noted zero panel gaps.

For those who have an older generation Tacoma and are entertaining a 2024 I would suggest taking the leap. Discounts of $2-3k are now happening as we get closer the 2025 model year and the truck has been out now for 6 + months.

Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited:

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Hello all. I recently sold my 2019 TRD Pro and got into a 2024 Off Road Tacoma and I very happy that I did. The trucks are like night and day when comparing the two.

The 4th generation trucks are not a refreshed version of the 3rd generation vehicles. They feature a new generation frame, engine, transmission, rear suspension, 2 inch deeper bed, dashboard, etc.

The biggest change that I immediately noticed was the improved cab ergonomics. No more backaches with my 4th generation truck. I could never get comfortable in my 2019. I felt like I was sitting in the floor no matter how much I adjusted the seating position. I recently completed a two hour trip in the ‘24 and I was comfortable the entire drive. It got to the point where we would only take the 2019 Tacoma on short trips around town as lengthy trips were just too uncomfortable.

The second thing I noticed was the transmission smoothness. The 8-speed auto shifts like a dream. My 2019 6-speed was a gear hunter. I had two tranny software updates installed but I never noticed a difference. The 2019 tranny would constantly shift gears and it was extremely annoying.

The third item that I immediately noticed was the excellent torque coming from the new T24A-FTS engine. This new engine has great torque and runs at a low RPM. I have zero issues climbing up grades due to the excellent torque characteristics from the 2.4L turbo motor. I much prefer this engine over the 3.5L V6 that came on my 2019. I must admit that I was skeptical going from a V6 to an inline 4 but living with the truck has convinced me that I made the right move.

The fourth immediate improvement was the cab quietness. It’s much improved over the 3rd generation trucks. The designers and engineers did an excellent job reducing noise inside the cabin. it imparts a feeling of luxury inside the truck.

My fifth area of improvement has to with build quality. I was a bit skeptical as all Tacoma production has switched to Mexico. My July assembled truck feels extremely well put together. Zero rattles, squeaks or other annoying noises. I would say the fit and finish is actually better on the 2024 when compared to the 2019. I could not find one paint flaw after inspecting the entire Solar Octane paint application. Every body panel was aligned perfectly and I noted zero panel gaps.

For those who have an older generation Tacoma and are entertaining a 2024 I would suggest taking the leap. Discounts of $2-3k are now happening as we get closer the 2025 model year and the truck has been out now for 6 + months.

Cheers
This sounds like a Toyota ad lol

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
Hello all. I recently sold my 2019 TRD Pro and got into a 2024 Off Road Tacoma and I very happy that I did. The trucks are like night and day when comparing the two.

Cheers
Awesome you are digging your new ride. I'm one of those 3rd gen owners who will not take the leap anytime soon. I love my 2019 TRD-OR, LB with the Pro wheels and a camper shell, and to replace that setup would just be too damned expensive to justify. In ~4 years I should be rolling 150K on the odometer and there should be a clearer picture of reliability and efficiency of the hybrid by then. Curious to see how she behaves for you over time.

FoxTRDPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
TRD Pro money for a TRD Off-road. I bet you the OP paid more for a lesser trim in 2024.

Sponsored

infantry317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
I paid $43k for a 2024 DCLB Off-Road (my 2019 was $38k). Only add-ons were heated seats, mud-flaps and spray-in bedliner (It came this way). Very happy. Amazed at all the standard sensors and features this thing has.

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad

Cheers
We have a couple of 2018 Tacomas as work trucks at the company I work for. I do agree that the gear shifting is annoying. We actually had a major repair recently where a rear brake got jammed and people were driving on it for a while. The reason? Because the jolting feeling felt so similar to the normal gear shifting that literally no one realized the truck was actually struggling the whole time.

Another improvement I’ve noticed is the 2018s have really soft suspension. Taking them through offroad work sites, they seem like they’re close to bottoming out on every bump. I’ve already taken my personal 2024 Tacoma through a couple of sites, and the suspension feels a LOT better. Not as bouncy.

Taco Golfer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport

Cheers
I completely agree having now put 6K miles on my TRD Sport, including several 5 hour drives. You do need to be careful because it is very easy to hit 80 mpg if not careful. Very comfortable.

Did you leave the air dam on?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Of course, you realize $50,000 in 2019 is the same as $61,515.90 in 2024.
This is what people seem to forget.. massive inflation. Adjusted for inflation, these trucks are almost where the 2019's were. I have an OR Premium that I got back in April for MSRP. I know they're doing discounts now, but I still have no regrets. Most fun I've ever had with a vehicle and it drives great. 50K is no longer pro money. My wife's Subaru cost that much in 22.

Sponsored

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
TRD Pro money for a TRD Off-road. I bet you the OP paid more for a lesser trim in 2024.
You're just looking at the name of the trim. The gen 4 TRD off-road is better equipped and all around a much better vehicle than the gen 3 TRD pro. So yeah, you can pay less money for the title of TRD pro if you get a 3rd gen but it's actually less of a truck and less capable.

Jgoosby34

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Iforce-Max
Awesome to hear! I got $3,500 off my TRD Off-Road Iforce-Max. Just waiting for it to arrive between the 16and 28th of this month. I already have a lot of parts to go on my taco! Can't wait to do the build!

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
That’s a great deal!!!

I got $2k discounted on my Solar Octane Off-Road with free front window tint.

It’s a hard to find exterior color in my area. The dealership did a search and found one other Solar Orange Tacoma in a 500 mile radius.
Sponsored