Sponsored

2024 TRD Off-Road Gas Tank Capacity When Filling Up?

Dbarron

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD offroad
Every Toyota I have owned has been this way.

Once while far away from gas stations my Tundra's low fuel light came on and I ignored it. By the time I could refuel, the gauge was pegged at the bottom, sitting below the empty mark. It has a 26.4 gallon tank and I was still only able to add 22 gallons of gas. That is the most I have ever filled it up with.

It would be helpful if Toyota was not so conservative in this, but I guess they really, really, don't ever want you to run out of gas.
I just filled up yesterday had 354 miles since last fill up took only 14.6 gals that works out to almost to 24 mpg. I live in the hill country in Wisconsin. This is about the same range as my gen 2 but better gas mpg. I have no problem with almost 3 gals left in the tank, I save a little money at the gas pump
Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
They are being conservative with the low gas warning for average Non-Car enthusiast people. For the average person, this is a good margin of safety so they aren't stranded. If my mom or my fiance borrowed my vehicle and it had conservative warnings like this I would be glad. Vehicles are built for the masses. They're not built for car nerds.
I understand the rationale, but inaccurate information does not provide an environment for learning and sets people up for failure.

If someone cant manage their fuel level with accurate gauges and a conservation ā€œLow fuelā€ warning, maybe they shouldnā€™t be driving without supervision.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Dbarron I agree and it is really only an issue when travelling for me. It is just something that you deal with, rather than what you might prefer. The 4th gen range is actually a little better than my Tundra's even with its big fuel tank.

@Ron You have some good points, but strange fuel reporting is just a Toyota thing. Kind of like their normally long longevity and reliability. I would go with more accurate information but that is Toyota's choice and something that you come to expect after owning a lot of them.

Toyota is an extremely conservative company and no one will ever be able to say that they were at fault if you run out of fuel.

Quickreply1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Iā€™ve had my fuel gauge down to like 30 miles left and only was able to get 13 gallons in the tank when I filled up. Basically I still had 100 miles left (5 gal at 20 mpg) of range and it told me I had 30. Thatā€™s another hour of driving WITH 30 miles in reserve.

Now I just reset my trip odo when filling up and know I get at least 300 miles to a full tank so I donā€™t have to rely on the Toyota warnings/calculations as much. Same thing I do on my motorcycle.

Why push it? I donā€™t like filling up any more often than I have to. Plus on a long road trip, I can skip one fill up overall by stretching out fuel stops.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Im just tired of this trend in society where people are assumed to be stupid, everyone wins a gold star, and falsified information is fed to the masses.

Yeah i went there. I done with this thread - you guys/gals can stay on topic now.

ā˜® šŸ™

Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Im just tired of this trend in society where people are assumed to be stupid, everyone wins a gold star, and falsified information is fed to the masses.

Yeah i went there. I done with this thread - you guys/gals can stay on topic now.

ā˜® šŸ™
I agree with your last two points, but have you read any social media? The majority of people seem to fall well below the left side of the bell curve.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Ron, I'm not arguing with you and I think you are right.

But I don't think this is assuming that people are stupid, although there are a lot of them out there as @maxx075 pointed out. Today we live in a society where any mistake, even unintentional, can cost companies a ton of money. McDonalds lost big time because they didn't warn drive through customers that freaking coffee is hot. Who knew?

I think it is more just smart business to cover your ass in today's world. If Toyota tried to be entirely accurate in their estimates and the truck ran out of gas after 1.95 miles, when it indicated 2 miles, then I can see lawyers getting involved. People would say their lives were endangered by false readings and the law suites would begin.

When stupid people put multiple, unsecured floor mats in Toyota cars and jammed their accelerators, Toyota was sued multiple times and received a big fine from the government. I don't agree with any of this any more than you do, but that is the reality of the world we live in today.

Once bitten twice shy as the old saying goes.

Last edited:

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
I understand the rationale, but inaccurate information does not provide an environment for learning and sets people up for failure.

If someone cant manage their fuel level with accurate gauges and a conservation ā€œLow fuelā€ warning, maybe they shouldnā€™t be driving without supervision.
LOL. Do you live in the same world as the rest of us? Do you know how low the bar is to get a driver's license and a car? The average level of driving out on the road is pretty bad. I would say at least 20% of the people driving are a real hazard and 60% are merely adequate. If the average person is just looking out their windshield and checking their mirrors and actually present while driving, that's about as much as you can hope for from them. You think people should have a full understanding of their gas tank and how the computer reads it and such? Dude, that would be awesome, but I don't think you are viewing things from a realistic real world perspective.

To make a comparison based on the field I work in, that would be like me thinking people are stupid because they don't understand the mechanism of action and the proper usage for different classes of antibiotics. It's just unrealistic.

I'm sure I could pick any number of things in your home like your computer, the electrical system in your walls, software you use, or even some system or organ in your own body and I could find huge holes in your knowledge on that thing even though you depend on it everyday. Your thinking is very flawed but if you enjoy being smug and feeling like you are elite then have fun I guess.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Hello everyone,
So I've had my 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road for about 2 months now and I can't seem to figure out why my truck fills up at 15 gallons when I assume it's supposed to be 18 gallon capacity. I'm only getting 260 miles when filling up. Shouldn't it be filling up with 18 gallons instead of 15? Are the other 3 reserve? Has anyone looked into this or have similar problem?
Yes it has a nanny mode where it hides 3 gallons of gas from you. The tank pretends its 15 gallons, shows 0 miles to empty and it yet has about 2.5 more gallons. Not sure why the truck intentionally nerfs its gas gauge. Odd design choice. So you never really know when you're truly going to run out.

Perhaps someday in the future, cars will only allow you to drive to a gas station but nowhere else when they decide you need gas / charge. We can only dream of this utopia.

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma Off-road
This is nothing new.

On the second tank of gas in my 4Runner, I drove it to where the needle was nearly touching E. I filled it up with 17.7 gallons. Thatā€™s on a 23 gallon tank.

Toyota has been providing buffers for decades.

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Also you need fuel in the tank to keep the fuel pump cool, had a suburban and after replacing the fuel pump the shop told me never let the fuel get much below 1/4 tank and youā€™ll never have a problem.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I hadn't thought of that @MT-Taco, but that is true. In tank fuel pumps can overheat if you run the fuel tank too low on a regular basis.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
I just want to get 500 km on a tank in the city (312 miles). Hope that leaves enough fuel to keep the fuel pump cool. We shall see, testing start next week.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I just want to get 500 km on a tank in the city (312 miles). Hope that leaves enough fuel to keep the fuel pump cool. We shall see, testing start next week.
I regularly get 330-350 miles. 312 shouldnā€™t be a problem.
Sponsored