Sponsored

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma SR5, Wrangler JL + MANY past Jeep & Toys
Long time Jeep guy (+ Multiple Tacomas + old school 83 long bed toy w/ 22r motor). I've been viewing this forum a good bit to get insights on what would work with a new 24 SR5 we added for a utility family vehicle. It has been really helpful. So many posts about the the larger tires that work on these new 4th gen... but nearly all I saw referred to the TRD Off-Road or Sport... but couldn't find much in the way of specifics for the SR5.

Literally just picked up the truck on Sunday and assumed the 285/70's would work - but then the fella helping me today at my local America's Tire indicated he was convinced it would rub as I still had the air dam up front. While I was pretty confident that it would fit, his comments did give me pause and was suddenly second guessing.

So after a quick forum and google search didn't give me a certain answer - I was relieved that they did in fact fit on stock 17" wheels / offset and WITH the front air dam. (likely will remove - but hope this post can help those with a firm confirmation that it will in fact work!)

Lastly, Ive run BFG ATs (Before they were KO's) and KO2's on trucks and Jeeps for almost 35 years. So really excited to try out these new KO3's. My Jeeps and trucks are primarily snow runners and I need to replace the 315/70/17's on my JL in the fall!

2024 Tacoma 285-70-17 KO3 tires do fit on a bone stock 2024 Tacoma SR5 IMG_2330

2024 Tacoma 285-70-17 KO3 tires do fit on a bone stock 2024 Tacoma SR5 IMG_2341

2024 Tacoma 285-70-17 KO3 tires do fit on a bone stock 2024 Tacoma SR5 IMG_2339

2024 Tacoma 285-70-17 KO3 tires do fit on a bone stock 2024 Tacoma SR5 IMG_2344
Sponsored

Last edited:

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
How is the ride on the highway vs. stock?

OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ride is great.

Iā€™d say not super noticeably different, but others may be more sensitive to this change. I always get the KO2 (now3) in a C-ply specifically to keep a soft ride. Neither Tacoma nor Jeep are heavy enough to merit an E ply in my view. that said, I have been running this tire so long that I could also just be very familiar with it.

G MAN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silverado
Tire dealers out here won't install a tire size that isn't specfic to the SR5, how did you overcome that ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That isn't an issue here in the Bay Area. Though, I have bought a lot of tires from Americas tire. That being said, Im sure they wouldn't put on something that clearly would not fit or be unrealistic. However, these tires have plenty of room - even with articulation.

As for the air dam - while it's a family truck, it will largely be driven by my son... so may keep it on for a bit to get better gas milage.

Tire dealers out here won't install a tire size that isn't specfic to the SR5, how did you overcome that ?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Definitely must be area specific I've never heard of that. Most tire dealers in my area will install absolutely anything you want, they draw the line at plugging tires lol

OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would imagine so. While I can't say for certain. It would seem that the SR and SR5 would have identical suspension. I actually created this thread specifically because I couldn't find a firm confirmation that it would work on the SR5 as ours was currently configured. However, that being said, there is really plenty of room for this size.

I have a bare bone stock SR, will they fit on this?

IMG_1721.jpeg

Gearman

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
I have never, at any tire shop, not install what I want when I am the one paying. Any good tire guy knows what will fit, and most will even throw one one to check if there is a question what will and will not work

I get they have 'recommended' size from the manufacture, then you can 'UpGrade' to whatever you want, even have a lift installed with bigger tires. My area it is not the norm to see a Truck/Jeep/SUV in stock form

Sponsored
OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, that has been my experience as well. Iā€™d say the only time someone at the shop would potentially advice against is in the instance you ask for a tire that is well to wide for the wheel application you have.

In that instance it is less about what will fit without rubbing given the concern is more likely one of instability. For example, my JL runs a 315ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t feel safe to run on a stock 7ā€ wheel. In those instances a 9ā€ creates stability and my offset / back space is less about the look of adding poke ā€” but to keep my steering geometry to feel more planted given the height change from modifications to suspension. More important on Jeeps that have zero aero dynamics, a solid front axel and loads of bump steer.

The guys at the shops I historically deal with can also tell if you are familiar enough with your requests to know enough to know better! šŸ˜‰

I have never, at any tire shop, not install what I want when I am the one paying. Any good tire guy knows what will fit, and most will even throw one one to check if there is a question what will and will not work

I get they have 'recommended' size from the manufacture, then you can 'UpGrade' to whatever you want, even have a lift installed with bigger tires. My area it is not the norm to see a Truck/Jeep/SUV in stock form
2024 Tacoma 285-70-17 KO3 tires do fit on a bone stock 2024 Tacoma SR5 IMG_0191

2024 Tacoma 285-70-17 KO3 tires do fit on a bone stock 2024 Tacoma SR5 IMG_5614

OP
OP
marcdm

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not. However, that is because I picked it up on a Sunday and brought it to my local tire shop on a Monday. I know that using a larger and more aggressive tire application will come at the cost of mileage, but afraid Iā€™m not able to provide any context as to what the impact of this change is.

That being said, my trucks and jeeps serve a utility purpose and are not commuter vehicles so I optimize for their needed functional performance vs the fuel efficiency.

Did you notice much change in the mpg?
Sponsored