6M shifts smoother when "cold" than at operating temperature

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Looking for feedback from other 6M owners. This is my first manual in years (and I love it) but I get mad at myself because my shifts are buttery smooth, and then over time they become jolty, clunky, and ugly.

I finally put two and two together and realized when the truck is warming up to operating temperatures, and even at operating temperatures for a period of time, the shifts with iMT on are sooooo smooth and satisfying, and after a while of driving the truck at operating temperature (about 20 minutes) the shifts require MUCH more work with iMT on to get the same type of smooth shifting, I cannot for the life of me get it to shift as smooth as it does when the truck first starts driving.

I can bang gears all I want and shift and left off the clutch as fast as I choose within the first 20 minutes of it being warmed up but after that 20 (or so) minutes is up I find myself riding the clutch more than needed to match RPMs for a smooth shift. I'm going to try driving for a week without iMT to just see if maybe iMT is programmed horribly

I complain because 1st to 2nd is so clunky feeling and sounding but it never is when the truck is drivin with the first 20 minutesish, after that it's game over.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?
Sponsored

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
Change the transmission oil to Redline MT-90, thank me later.

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yes i have noticed same thing . This transmission behaves different everyday . Now with 5000 km and over i stoped using IMT for 1,2,3 rd gear shift then i press it i need . I feel like if if i don’t rush while shifting and release clutch by holding little bit at bite point it shifts smooth and i dont need imt . IMT is good for 4-5-6 gears pr if downshifting but in first 3 gears it behave weird . Also from 1-2 nd gear smooth shift .either u take out of first gear right away once truck start rolling or push first gear to 2500 rpm pr more and then shift to second gear. It will go smooth

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Do u feel any vibration on gas pedal driving in 4 th gear at constant speed between around 30 miles -40 kiles per hour ????

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
1st gear is incredibly short, but you get used to it, I think. I've only got about 1,000 miles on my truck so far, and I only really use iMT for easier/smoother downshifting on the highway when there's traffic (and that's only when I remember to use it in the first place). Overall, compared to the 3rd gen I had, in my opinion, this clutch has less "feel" to it, but it's still very easy to use. For most normal driving, I rarely exceed 3,000-3,500 rpm in any gear (most of your torque is on the low end of the tachometer anyway), and I try to keep my rpms between 1,700 and 3,000 while driving. I don't usually feel any weird vibrations unless I need to downshift. Like, if you're going 30 mph in 4th gear, you should probably downshift if you're actually trying to accelerate! That vibration will occur with any MT if you're in too high of a gear while attempting to accelerate. As far as the behavior of the iMT changing as the engine/transmission comes up to operating temp... sorry I can't really comment on having the same experience. Keep in mind that the iMT feature will auto-blip your throttle on both downshifts and upshifts, and you should always push and release your clutch in one smooth, controlled motion (even when being quick about it lol).

I have read others commenting about the clutch engagement point (grabbing) being very short, and I agree with this, but this does not mean you still shouldn't push the clutch the entire way to the floor on every shift. You risk causing unnecessary and premature wear on your transmission by not doing so. I've also tried double shifting (shifting into neutral between each gear change) with the iMT, and that works really well too!

Sponsored

taco4r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT
Really humid day today in Ottawa - definitely felt clunkier. More than usually anyhow. 2nd gear is unnervingly clunky and stiff compared to all the other gears which are notchy.

Very hard shift to get silky smooth, unless you drive slow.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Really humid day today in Ottawa - definitely felt clunkier. More than usually anyhow. 2nd gear is unnervingly clunky and stiff compared to all the other gears which are notchy.

Very hard shift to get silky smooth, unless you drive slow.
Redline in every gear, you'll never tell the difference! 🤣
Sponsored