Sponsored

Anderson Plug connection to Overland Trailer from Hybrid TH?

Bcphoto3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner Limited
Down sides or upsides to powering/charging back to batteries in Trailer from vehicle via Anderson plug on TH since it is hybrid? I have asked some of the trailer manufacturers and they dont know.. Maybe an ask of Toyota when I go to Overland Expo East in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
If you do it, you'll still want a DC-DC converter installed in the trailer to provide stable charging voltage to the batteries. Something like the newer Orion XS. Are you planning on running LiFePO4 batteries in the trailer?

OP
OP
Bcphoto3

Bcphoto3

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner Limited
If you do it, you'll still want a DC-DC converter installed in the trailer to provide stable charging voltage to the batteries. Something like the newer Orion XS. Are you planning on running LiFePO4 batteries in the trailer?
Definitely LiFePO4.. Was wondering if anyone had thought of drain on vehicle to be charging truck battery set and trailer battery set..

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Definitely LiFePO4.. Was wondering if anyone had thought of drain on vehicle to be charging truck battery set and trailer battery set..
I'd think you'd be OK up to 50A wiring directly into the battery.

On the hybrid, as you probably know, there's no alternator. There's a step down converter that converts the 288V from the traction battery into 12V for the LA battery (or rather, 13.8ish volts when charging).

If your question is whether the 288V->12V converter can supply the amperage needed, I'd think the answer is probably yes, unless you plan on doing some huuuge charger. I'm fairly certain the converter in the truck can supply upwards to 120a of 12V, there's some documentation I am reading that shows that this is what the Hybrid Tundra is capable of. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same converter on the Tacoma.

The only thing you'll need to ensure is that the current through the Anderson-style plug is switched on only when the truck is running - otherwise you'll quickly drain the 12V battery in the truck when hooked up, but the truck is off. I would probably use a big-boy 75A Bosch relay and hook up the signal to a (manually) switched 12V source. Or alternatively hook up a signal wire directly to the Victron converter.
Sponsored