Apple Car Play: Music volume stays loud when listening to text messages

Jaxx642

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I found that if im listening to music on Apple Car Play at a good volume, then try to listen to a text message the music volume does not turn down enough to hear the text. I think that wasn't an issue for my 2021 Taco. Might be user error but wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same. A bit annoying because the workaround is that I have to pause the music before listening to the text, then restart. Have not tested it with Audio Books yet.
Sponsored

4thgenmedic

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sr5
the music volume stays at whatever level you have it.. when playing a text turn the know up and you'll be able to hear it... it adjust separately.

Dunzite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford fusion
Yeah, like 4thgenmedic said. There’s the music audio level, and the “prompt” audio level. The two adjust separately, and you can only adjust the prompt audio when it’s playing. So texts, maps, Siri, etc.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
So when a text message is being read, turn up the volume correct?

Update: it worked! when it is reading the text message turn up the volume. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Galactic Yeti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I found that if im listening to music on Apple Car Play at a good volume, then try to listen to a text message the music volume does not turn down enough to hear the text. I think that wasn't an issue for my 2021 Taco. Might be user error but wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same. A bit annoying because the workaround is that I have to pause the music before listening to the text, then restart. Have not tested it with Audio Books yet.
Just a general finding here: I worked at Apple formerly for 8 years. They’re not perfect but I have for the most part fully adopted and enjoy their ecosystem. My new 2024 taco is my first CarPlay experience. It’s a huge upgrade from what I’ve had in the past… but… I honestly expected more. For something that’s been around for so long, I find it more limiting for “safety” reasons than it is helpful or intuitive with what I need.
Don’t get me wrong I love it, it’s great. I just kind of expected it would be better with more settings and adjustments/preference control. Shame on me for thinking Apple would provide customization beyond the Color of the wallpaper lol

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I have had apple car play on several cars but have not really used it and I am a apple user in all things tech. I have had it wired and wireless. I would definitely not take the time to connect my iphone by cord but since it is cordless, I have used it. I also sometimes go with the stock system. I can definitely see why someone would use it if they did not have built in Navigation, but I love my huge screen!

One thing I also do not do is charge my phone wirelessly. Does anyone know how to turn off the wireless charger in the Tacoma? I have resorted to using the phone slot to the right of the slot that charges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaxx642

Jaxx642

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Just a general finding here: I worked at Apple formerly for 8 years. They’re not perfect but I have for the most part fully adopted and enjoy their ecosystem. My new 2024 taco is my first CarPlay experience. It’s a huge upgrade from what I’ve had in the past… but… I honestly expected more. For something that’s been around for so long, I find it more limiting for “safety” reasons than it is helpful or intuitive with what I need.
Don’t get me wrong I love it, it’s great. I just kind of expected it would be better with more settings and adjustments/preference control. Shame on me for thinking Apple would provide customization beyond the Color of the wallpaper lol
The wireless connection is a HUGE upgrade from my 2021 Tacoma, but I just wish it worked a little more seamlessly. Not turning the music down when listening to texts is a pain, but I'll live with it. Occasionally, it doesnt connect so I have to go in and manually reconnect. 1st world problems, lol.

Galactic Yeti

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
The wireless connection is a HUGE upgrade from my 2021 Tacoma, but I just wish it worked a little more seamlessly. Not turning the music down when listening to texts is a pain, but I'll live with it. Occasionally, it doesnt connect so I have to go in and manually reconnect. 1st world problems, lol.
1st world problems is right, but we can still complain about them 🤣. I don’t utilize the read text feature because I find it annoying more than anything, but I do love the wireless qi charging. I also toggle my phone to silent when I drive so I dont have to deal with the notification sound/volume issue. When my phone is not on silent it’s annoying as hell.
I’ve gotten to the point where, if you text me and I’m driving, I’m just going to respond when I’m either stopped or when I’m done driving haha.

Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Finding it super annoying that the music doesn’t mute automatically when a text message is being read. has anyone found a work around, my ‘24 Tacoma is the first vehicle I’ve driven with Apple car play that doesn’t mute the radio when reading texts, looks like it’s been a big issue on Reddit on a few Toyota products. Anyone heard anything on a fix?

vtdano

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
definitely an issue with Toyota Carplay, tried it in a 2020 Kona and it mutes the music to play a text. Got super nerdy and tried using wired over wireless and had the same result. Went into Sounds and Haptic settings, and tried changing the audio to 'Mono' and using the slider to change the volume levels with no success. Updated my iPhone to lates IOS 17 and problem persists. Only work around I have found is to press the 'Mode" button on the steering wheel for 2 secs (or hit the volume knob) to mute when a text comes in and it will read it without the radio playing, then you can press the mode button again for 2 secs and music resumes. If you just tap mode, it will change the source, which is frustrating, they need an engineer to take a deeper look at this. Going to try my old iPhone X as well as testing out IOS 18 to see if there's any difference, will let you know if I find something, it's beyond annoying to deal with this on a brand new vehicle

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
definitely an issue with Toyota Carplay, tried it in a 2020 Kona and it mutes the music to play a text. Got super nerdy and tried using wired over wireless and had the same result. Went into Sounds and Haptic settings, and tried changing the audio to 'Mono' and using the slider to change the volume levels with no success. Updated my iPhone to lates IOS 17 and problem persists. Only work around I have found is to press the 'Mode" button on the steering wheel for 2 secs (or hit the volume knob) to mute when a text comes in and it will read it without the radio playing, then you can press the mode button again for 2 secs and music resumes. If you just tap mode, it will change the source, which is frustrating, they need an engineer to take a deeper look at this. Going to try my old iPhone X as well as testing out IOS 18 to see if there's any difference, will let you know if I find something, it's beyond annoying to deal with this on a brand new vehicle
Thanks! exactly my findings. Trying to turn down the volume, unless you get the exact time never works. Something else I just noticed since the iOS 18 update, I used to get a pop up for text messages if I was in the radio setting, now I no longer get the pop up notification for a text message unless I am in Car Play. Super annoying, and Toyota sucks at this, it's like with every update you get from either Apple or OTA from Toyota you never know what sort of new problem is going to arise, don't even get me started on how flaky the Apple Car key is on the Tacoma. If it a half baked feature, don't roll it out or making a selling point.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
It's like Apple goes completely out of its way to make it as difficult and annoying as possible for you to use anything outside their ecosystem.

Example: Guided navigation. With Apple? SOUNDS GREAT! With Google Maps? It sounds like they're talking to you from your grandmother's rotary phone, and the mouthpiece is held on by scotch tape and several rubber bands.
Sponsored