Sponsored

Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors?

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Hybrid Limited
Hello!

Long time lurker; first time poster. According to the dealer, I am the owner of the very first Tacoma Hybrid Limited in Colorado as of a few weeks ago. It is my fifth Tacoma and without a doubt my favorite.

Compared to my former 3G, this one drives like a Tesla.

My only issue is my hitch mount Thule bike rack. I use the truck mostly to get to mountain bike trails. That two-bike Thule in the up position interferes with the backup camera and sensors. I’ve figured out how to permanently disable the auto-braking feature, but I can’t figure out how to permanently disable the trailer auto-sense feature. I can disable it at every start by long pressing OK to tell the truck I’m not towing a trailer, but I can’t get it to stay disabled.

Has anyone figured out how to permanently disable the trailer auto-sense?

As an alternative, I’m also considering a single-bike rack. I’ve been looking at the 1up Equip’D. It looks like it might be low enough not to interfere with the cameras and sensors, but nobody at 1up could confirm for sure. Does anyone have experience with this rack — or any other rack that confirmedly works?

Many thanks to the community for all your help. I’ve very much enjoyed the 4G beta I’ve gotten from this site prior to my purchase. To say thanks, I’ll offer this photo I took yesterday of the truck up on Rollins Pass just before sunset.

Thank you all!
2024 Tacoma Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors? IMG_5405
Sponsored

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Cool pic. I wish I went with the hybrid but there’s no long bed option. I have the 1up heavy duty single tray on my TRD sport. It’s a lot lower than my buddy’s Thule rack. When you said up position, did you mean the storage position? I can take pics for you.

Korywithak

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport premium in windchill
I don’t think you can permanently disable it. But if a bike rack sets it off, it asks if a trailer is detected. Simply push no.

You’ll need it if you ever actually tow a trailer. If you have a trailer on and don’t tell it one is connected you can’t back up. The truck will think you are going to hit something.

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
I have no issues with my 1up rack

OP
OP
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Hybrid Limited
@Odzter: Yes, when the rack is up and not carrying a bike.
@Burgi: Glad to know yours works! I may end up ordering one.

I should clarify when I said “permanently” earlier: I meant being able to disable the auto-sense such that it would remain disabled through subsequent starts until I choose to re-enable it.

There’s a way to do this for the auto-brake, but I can’t figure out any way to do it for the auto-sense.

Sponsored

Jakedawgy

First Name
Rock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Premium Underground
Had the same issue when I installed my hitch bike rack and I disabled these 2 things in the settings and it's been fine and not asking about a trailer.

2024 Tacoma Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors? 20240710_203255

2024 Tacoma Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors? 20240710_203315

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
Ive got the 1up super duty but it’s mounted on to billie bars
2024 Tacoma Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors? IMG_5432
2024 Tacoma Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors? IMG_5431

2024 Tacoma Bike rack that won’t interfere with backup cameras and sensors? IMG_5424
Sponsored