Bought a new 23 Maverick Hybrid

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
I had a 2014 Nissan Rogue that I purchased new, great car, most reliable I have ever owned. 213K miles, the only issue I have ever had was recently the check engine light came on and it turned out to be the catalytic converter that was built into the manifold so it was going to be $1600 to replace that to pass emissions test. In another 3-6 months it was going to need brakes, and tires. Everything else was good, but ultimately I decided to use the 2500-3000 to add towards a down payment of something new.

I was quickly enamored with the Maverick when it came out because of the hybrid and interior size being similar and in some aspects more than most of the midsizers. With news of the Tacoma I was hoping there would be a MPG focused hybrid and the interior sizing would be better in the new model. Once the Tacoma was fully unveiled I held on for a bit longer but after sitting in the new Tacoma at auto shows I knew it wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

My inspection was approaching on the Rogue so I started looking for a Maverick without a crazy mark up and managed to find a 23 XLT Hybrid several hours away. Anyway, I have tapered off on here already but probably won't be around much beyond this. I look forward to seeing how well the new Tacoma does out of the gate, and I am hoping that the Toyota EPU turns into a production model in a couple of years with a Hybrid because I will be checking that out for sure if it does.
Sponsored

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
I had a 2014 Nissan Rogue that I purchased new, great car, most reliable I have ever owned. 213K miles, the only issue I have ever had was recently the check engine light came on and it turned out to be the catalytic converter that was built into the manifold so it was going to be $1600 to replace that to pass emissions test. In another 3-6 months it was going to need brakes, and tires. Everything else was good, but ultimately I decided to use the 2500-3000 to add towards a down payment of something new.

I was quickly enamored with the Maverick when it came out because of the hybrid and interior size being similar and in some aspects more than most of the midsizers. With news of the Tacoma I was hoping there would be a MPG focused hybrid and the interior sizing would be better in the new model. Once the Tacoma was fully unveiled I held on for a bit longer but after sitting in the new Tacoma at auto shows I knew it wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

My inspection was approaching on the Rogue so I started looking for a Maverick without a crazy mark up and managed to find a 23 XLT Hybrid several hours away. Anyway, I have tapered off on here already but probably won't be around much beyond this. I look forward to seeing how well the new Tacoma does out of the gate, and I am hoping that the Toyota EPU turns into a production model in a couple of years with a Hybrid because I will be checking that out for sure if it does.
Interesting that you were able to “sit in a 2024 Tacoma at auto shows” all the videos I watched, the Tacoma was locked🤷

tswift

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I was really into the Maverick before Ford priced it out of making sense tbh. I liked the size, the mpg, and the idea of a "budget truck". But then you couldn't get one for years, they didn't handle the waiting process very well, and raised the price of the base hybrid model to pretty much what a base Tacoma would be. And no amount of adding packages or going up in trim levels made it any nicer. So you'd end up paying close to 30k for what still felt like a 20k truck.

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
Seems like the Maverick is aimed at a different type of customer than the Tacoma isn't it?

Sponsored

marvelmadman

First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
former 00 taco sr5. tbd 24 OR or trail hunter
Interesting that you were able to “sit in a 2024 Tacoma at auto shows” all the videos I watched, the Tacoma was locked🤷
I went to the auto show at the texas state fair in Dallas and 2 were unlocked. They had a pro and a sport if I remember correctly. And a trail hunter but it was up on some rocks and you couldn't climb in it.

OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was really into the Maverick before Ford priced it out of making sense tbh. I liked the size, the mpg, and the idea of a "budget truck". But then you couldn't get one for years, they didn't handle the waiting process very well, and raised the price of the base hybrid model to pretty much what a base Tacoma would be. And no amount of adding packages or going up in trim levels made it any nicer. So you'd end up paying close to 30k for what still felt like a 20k truck.
Seems like the Maverick is aimed at a different type of customer than the Tacoma isn't it?
Very different.

Especially the hybrids. They are nothing alike.
Tsturbo
Yes like someone else mentioned the Texas state Fair had a couple that were opened that you could get in. You couldn't move the seats around though because the battery was disconnected. I went on a Monday, a co worker went the following Saturday and said the Tacomas were locked and he was told someone had 'messed up' the interior so they locked them.

tswift
I agree, Ford really messed up the launch, the production mix, and the order process. I think they didn't expect the demand and they were use to a lot of custom orders for F150's that they can produce a ton of so it didn't matter for that product. In this case I think they would have done a lot better to just build 'spec' units and whoever got them, got them.

I had pretty much given up on finding one as I had tried to order 3 times over the last two years. For 2024 the Base XL hybrid is $26,495 including destination so still a few thousand less than a Tacoma, but it's at the point that it doesn't make sense. The Hybrid has basically seen a 23.5% increase in price since the 2022 but the Ecoboost is like 8% if I remember correctly.... they are trying to slow demand and I think it is working and there will start to be even more on the lots come spring/early summer and it will get close to MSRP. I ended up with a 23 XLT (so lower start price) for a little more than a 24XL. But I searched hard for 3 weeks trying to find a decent deal I could live with since I was in a time crunch.

Tacomafan/TalkingTaco444
yes they are different in execution and what they are geared towards, however obviously not enough that people who are not 'set' on buying only a specific model don't cross shop them a lot. I've seen cross shop talk on this site and a couple of others that I frequent so it's not uncommon even though they have different missions.

I think this type of 'truck' is the future.... high mpg, can fit people in the back seat semi comfortable for short distances and capable of hauling weekend stuff for a big chunk of people who don't need to overbuy or get something for a look that will see a dirt road a few times in it's life. Obviously your not going to buy this if your focus is rock crawling, or towing 10K pounds. But it fit my needs and wants more than anything else out there. I am hoping that Toyota takes notice and produces something similar.

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a toyota - Maverick on the way
Its a great choice, better than any taco imo. I was debating between the hybrid and EB for a while and finally ordered the EB. I also was waiting for more info on the 4g taco and again I feel dissapointed just like test driving the 2nd gen taco.

I cant tell if the 4g will be fast or slow like the 3g is but looking at the back seat is still pretty scary to spend more than 20k on that. I couldnt even turn myself back there in the 2nd gen and im only 5'7". The Maverick feels more distributed in the back seat (and front seat too). Not to mention the 6g ranger improved a lot in the backseat too. I'd rather put my $ on the raptor than TRD pro.

Either way the maverick will get the same daily life stuff done as the taco, except mild off roading. Bikes, 4'x8' wood sheet, average boat, atv, two queen mattress (both will struggle with king), ski, snowboard, whatever it is both will get it done with the tailgate down....except you get more room in the back seat and save on gas with the maverick with less than 35k. Plus I like how ford listen to customers and came up with the flexbed that offer easy diy upgrades. Utility is very important for the bed and with the taco, I fell like its just a bed. Toyota advertise more volume in the 4g bed.......really? This is like 2 decade ago upgrades.

I really like toyota and currently buy anything toyota except trucks. I think they should put more useful thought into their trucks, to focus more on the daily useful stuff. The seat shocks are very cool but not really needed and take up the already cramp space in the back. I would be even unhappy if this is not a stand a lone package.

Although a ford the maverick gave me good useful reasons to take a chance with ford this time, especially about 10-12k less than the taco that will do the same job done.

Congrats on your mave!

I cant wait for mine (not too overly excited though) hoping the dealer wont try to low ball at delivery.

OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its a great choice, better than any taco imo. I was debating between the hybrid and EB for a while and finally ordered the EB. I also was waiting for more info on the 4g taco and again I feel dissapointed just like test driving the 2nd gen taco.

I cant tell if the 4g will be fast or slow like the 3g is but looking at the back seat is still pretty scary to spend more than 20k on that. I couldnt even turn myself back there in the 2nd gen and im only 5'7". The Maverick feels more distributed in the back seat (and front seat too). Not to mention the 6g ranger improved a lot in the backseat too. I'd rather put my $ on the raptor than TRD pro.

Either way the maverick will get the same daily life stuff done as the taco, except mild off roading. Bikes, 4'x8' wood sheet, average boat, atv, two queen mattress (both will struggle with king), ski, snowboard, whatever it is both will get it done with the tailgate down....except you get more room in the back seat and save on gas with the maverick with less than 35k. Plus I like how ford listen to customers and came up with the flexbed that offer easy diy upgrades. Utility is very important for the bed and with the taco, I fell like its just a bed. Toyota advertise more volume in the 4g bed.......really? This is like 2 decade ago upgrades.

I really like toyota and currently buy anything toyota except trucks. I think they should put more useful thought into their trucks, to focus more on the daily useful stuff. The seat shocks are very cool but not really needed and take up the already cramp space in the back. I would be even unhappy if this is not a stand a lone package.

Although a ford the maverick gave me good useful reasons to take a chance with ford this time, especially about 10-12k less than the taco that will do the same job done.

Congrats on your mave!

I cant wait for mine (not too overly excited though) hoping the dealer wont try to low ball at delivery.
If you end up with the Maverick I think you will like it. As far as reliability check out this site https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/ they sell ford extended warranty for $50 over cost. For me it's worth the price for the insurance aspect as I have had a couple of Ford trucks and needed the warranty.

I got the Hybrid because I drive 20-22K miles a year, still on the first tank but so far according to the trip computer I am getting 44mpg. I have driven the ecoboost also and it was pretty peppy, and if you don't need/want the MPG they are easier to find and more negotiable price wise.

I really wanted the Tacoma to work out but it didn't meet what I wanted in the end. I would love a Toyota that was similar to the Maverick. With the recent Toyota EPU concept that was similar dimensions to the Maverick... I think something is in the works and will for sure consider getting it if it was same/better interior room and available as hybrid.

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you end up with the Maverick I think you will like it. As far as reliability check out this site https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/ they sell ford extended warranty for $50 over cost. For me it's worth the price for the insurance aspect as I have had a couple of Ford trucks and needed the warranty.

I got the Hybrid because I drive 20-22K miles a year, still on the first tank but so far according to the trip computer I am getting 44mpg. I have driven the ecoboost also and it was pretty peppy, and if you don't need/want the MPG they are easier to find and more negotiable price wise.

I really wanted the Tacoma to work out but it didn't meet what I wanted in the end. I would love a Toyota that was similar to the Maverick. With the recent Toyota EPU concept that was similar dimensions to the Maverick... I think something is in the works and will for sure consider getting it if it was same/better interior room and available as hybrid.
Thanks, but they're a little too far for me, lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but they're a little too far for me, lol.
You can buy it online... never have to set foot anywhere near and don't have to purchase a vehicle from them and this is a FORD warranty, it's good at ANY Ford dealer

TacoTanium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can buy it online... never have to set foot anywhere near and don't have to purchase a vehicle from them and this is a FORD warranty, it's good at ANY Ford dealer
Oh nice! Is that $50 a flat rate to extend the mfr's warranty?

OP
OP

JLD94

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh nice! Is that $50 a flat rate to extend the mfr's warranty?
It's $50 over their cost... you can play with it and see which is best for you.... no personal information required to see the quote
Sponsored