Calling all 6MT owners - Had to double clutch to get into 2nd

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Calling all owners of the current 6MT, but also all manual drivers period.

My history of driving a manual is minimal so any input here will help, I've driven manuals but never owned until now.

There's been a couple instances where I end up grinding going into second, I chalked it off as not having the clutch fully depressed as I wasn't entirely sure at the time but skeptical, especially given the high bite point on the pedal, there's been times where I've caught myself changing gears with ease without being fully to the floor but also not at the bite point yet. But the other day leaving a light I went to put it into second and I'm VERY confident my foot couldn't go down any further without turning into a flintstone and I grinded pretty bad. Panicked and returned back to neutral still clutch fully in (and this time obviously 10000% certain) and went to go into second for a second attempt and it would NOT go in, almost as if the synchro just didn't want to align period. 4 or 5 attempts panicking trying to get it to pop into second with a truck behind me riding my ass and it just wouldn't work (even held it there hoping it'd slide into gear, just felt like there was a wall stopping the shifter from entering into gear). I ended up having to double clutch in order to get it to go in, in which it went in very easily.

Obviously, especially on a new vehicle I shouldn't have to do that. I'm wondering if I have a bad synchro on 2nd gear? My fluids are all normal, I never usually have trouble with any of the gears, and I never have it pop out of gear. I've got to go get the truck serviced soon and I'll mention it to them but with my newly lost faith in these technicans, and the fact that they'll probably have to replicate the issue, I don't expect anything to come from it.

Figured I'd ask here, as these transmission failures definitely got me on edge a little bit, but you'd think something would've happened by now at 22,000kms

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
I can only speak to my 6MT 3rd gen and that never happened to me, that doesn’t sound like a feature, I’d be getting it checked by the dealer

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
So you started from a stop in 1st gear, and when you were trying to shift into 2nd, it wouldn’t go into gear. Is this correct? You wound up having to double clutch to get it into 2nd (meaning you were driving in 1st, depressed the clutch, shifted to neutral, let out the clutch, pressed the clutch and then shifted to 2nd)… just trying to picture it, but when you double clutched it worked fine? Has it done this since then? Were you using iMT (not sure this matters, just curious)? It definitely sounds concerning, and if I were you, I’d want to get it looked at ASAP.
Mine only has about 5,000 miles, but I’ve never had any grinding except once or twice while downshifting into 1st WITHOUT double clutching going into my driveway (it’s on a slight incline and I basically come to a near stop as I’m turning in). I usually always double clutch if I need to go into 1st, even if I’m only going 5 mph, but I’ve never had grinding with normal gear rowing. It feels almost identical to my 3rd gen’s 6-speed MT. I try to always fully depress the clutch when shifting out of habit, and yes, the “bite point” is very high on the pedal in these transmissions.

Definitely keep us posted on what you find out!

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
What @John Boyd said. If you can duplicate that on 4th and 6th you are almost certainly covered by this TSB and you need to take it to your dealer.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
That’s exactly what I was going to ask.
What @John Boyd said. If you can duplicate that on 4th and 6th you are almost certainly covered by this TSB and you need to take it to your dealer.
Check out this TSB, do 4 & 6 work?
4th and 6th are like butter so far, no issues there

Going to keep a close eye on it though and get it inspected by the dealer. If there is something wrong with second or the synchro, I doubt it was at fault of me. I've only grinded a few times and it was because I thought the clutch was in all the way but of course hard to be 100% certain as the sound of a gear grinding kinda throws your brain into panic mode haha

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
So you started from a stop in 1st gear, and when you were trying to shift into 2nd, it wouldn’t go into gear. Is this correct? You wound up having to double clutch to get it into 2nd (meaning you were driving in 1st, depressed the clutch, shifted to neutral, let out the clutch, pressed the clutch and then shifted to 2nd)… just trying to picture it, but when you double clutched it worked fine? Has it done this since then? Were you using iMT (not sure this matters, just curious)? It definitely sounds concerning, and if I were you, I’d want to get it looked at ASAP.
Mine only has about 5,000 miles, but I’ve never had any grinding except once or twice while downshifting into 1st WITHOUT double clutching going into my driveway (it’s on a slight incline and I basically come to a near stop as I’m turning in). I usually always double clutch if I need to go into 1st, even if I’m only going 5 mph, but I’ve never had grinding with normal gear rowing. It feels almost identical to my 3rd gen’s 6-speed MT. I try to always fully depress the clutch when shifting out of habit, and yes, the “bite point” is very high on the pedal in these transmissions.

Definitely keep us posted on what you find out!
Yes that's correct. iMT was on and I definitely had to double clutch. I'll definitely get it looked at and keep y'all posted. I assume all the dealer is going to say is it seems fine but it'd be nice if they did a transmission flush or something, see if there's none, some, or a lot of shinys

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think iMT mostly comes into play when downshifting and it just rev matches which makes it easier to shift into a gear. The only time I have had to double clutch any modern vehicle was when going into either first or reverse, and not often.

Definitely get the dealer to check that, even if they just say they couldn't reproduce it, it will be in your service history that there was a problem.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I think iMT mostly comes into play when downshifting and it just rev matches which makes it easier to shift into a gear. The only time I have had to double clutch any modern vehicle was when going into either first or reverse, and not often.

Definitely get the dealer to check that, even if they just say they couldn't reproduce it, it will be in your service history that there was a problem.
iMT definitely helps on upshifts as well, keeps the RPM where it needs to be so it's not too low, or so I found anyways.

But either way iMT wouldn't cause that issue lol. I'll definitely be getting it inspected

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
iMT definitely helps on upshifts as well, keeps the RPM where it needs to be so it's not too low, or so I found anyways.

But either way iMT wouldn't cause that issue lol. I'll definitely be getting it inspected
Cool, and you are right that rev matching just makes shifting easier, not harder.

That behavior you saw is similar to what the TSB covers, even if it only affects 2nd gear for now. I hope the dealer figures this out for you. Good luck!
Sponsored