Charging second battery ( deep cycle group 31) carried in bed

capttim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
I am interested to hear what others are doing on Tacoma Gen 4 Hybrids to charge a second battery. On my Gen 3, have successfully charged using a Delco solenoid transfer switch. Considering Victron Orion DC to DC-- but would be helpful to see how others are dealing with this. I also use 150 Watt solar array when stopped to camp -with Victron MPPT controller.
This question deals with charging while engine running. Thanks
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I am interested to hear what others are doing on Tacoma Gen 4 Hybrids to charge a second battery. On my Gen 3, have successfully charged using a Delco solenoid transfer switch. Considering Victron Orion DC to DC-- but would be helpful to see how others are dealing with this. I also use 150 Watt solar array when stopped to camp -with Victron MPPT controller.
This question deals with charging while engine running. Thanks
If you have the electrical options in the bed of the truck, then you might be able to utilize that as well. Also, you gen3 taco setup would work as well. I have been considering a couple of lithium group 31 batteries in the bed as well. But I have to find a roof replacement first, ugh!

OP
OP

capttim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
I have used AGM’s with success on the 3rd Gen. I have avoided Lithium in the 3rd Gen because the Delco set up will not provide the proper 3 step charge protocol for Lithium. The starting battery is AGM there is a voltage drop to the bed battery but comes close to being correct for AGM —and I am abusing a less expensive battery. The Victron Orion should allow setting that will accommodate the lithium - but I need to study it further

denimlength

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Hey there! I'm pretty new to the tacoma world, but have you considered using a battery isolator? Heard they're pretty good for charging secondary batteries while driving.
Sponsored