Sponsored

Explain it like I’m 5 - bump stops!

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
No …. All replacements would have them too - whoever makes it.

This isn’t a big deal to have bump stops incorporated into the shock. EVERY McPherson strut has bump stops part of the assembly - since the dawn before time. Problem here is the two piece top - and I’m not convinced it’s two pieces as much as it’s one piece of aluminum that’s failing in suck a way that it looks like two pieces.
Agreed. I was going to say I don't really understand the logic of why they cast this piece but obviously the answer is cost. Machining parts like this would obviously be much more expensive and time-consuming.

Only time will tell if these failures are truly commonplace - as with any new product, early adopters are the first to voice their grievances. So it's hard to tell if it's truly a widespread issue at this point.

Nonetheless, at least the failure is relatively simple to repair.
Sponsored

tmac5809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The Pro also has additional Fox rear bump absorbers mounted in the center of the coil springs.

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
I will confirm that the TRD OR has externally mounted (traditional) bump stops on the rear suspension and shock-mounted bump stops in the front. I believe the PRO has shock-mounted bump stops on all four corners. My running theory for why the suspension could have been set up this way is to service as a type of "fail-safe" to protect the integrity of the shock strut as well as the frame-welded shock tower. In the event of an extreme impact, the cast aluminum ring will fail allowing the strut to push through the top of the shock tower, thus, helping to prevent the strut from being damaged. I'm thinking something along the lines of a shock absorber that you would find in a fall arrest protection system, or even the tear-away stitching in a seatbelt which reduces the forces exerted on your body in a crash scenario. The ICON video where they showed the top hat failing on their "test" truck as he was driving fairly aggressively off-road. After the failure, ICON reported that there was no damage to the shock, but they'd have to wait for the replacement retaining ring, so they developed their own "top hat reinforcement plate" and are now selling them on their website. To me, this makes the most sense, but I know it's only a theory at this point. I don't understand how they could possibly be saving any kind of serious money by disregarding the traditional bump stop configuration. I also don't think Fox, Bilstein, or Toyota would knowingly install a shoddy suspension system into an all-new redesigned, and much hyped, Tacoma. Personally, I haven't had any issues with my suspension, but I'll admit, I haven't taken it off any sweet jumps or hit giant potholes at 40 mph yet. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll consider driving it like a sponsored trophy truck :wink:

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
So this begs the question, is the ICON fix a good idea or not? I was very close to buying that Tacoma Garage top hat reinforcement that also gives a 1” lift. But then it returns the force of a hard hit back solely on the strut to absorb. I can’t decide if omitting the frame mounted bumps is a good idea or not.

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
So this begs the question, is the ICON fix a good idea or not? I was very close to buying that Tacoma Garage top hat reinforcement that also gives a 1” lift. But then it returns the force of a hard hit back solely on the strut to absorb. I can’t decide if omitting the frame mounted bumps is a good idea or not.
Unless you’re wanting a lift, I’d hold off for a bit, but that’s me. I just find it a little odd that companies who make suspension components are the ones who’ve had issues with the stock suspensions. Until Toyota provides an actual response to this question, my guess is just that. I could be totally wrong, and there could be a faulty component in the suspension, but I think we’d be hearing from way more actual owners if this was the case rather than a handful of YouTube experts. I know from my own experience that the suspension seems to handle light to moderate off roading without issue, and it’s very compliant on the road too, but again, that’s just me!

Sponsored

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
Unless you’re wanting a lift, I’d hold off for a bit, but that’s me. I just find it a little odd that companies who make suspension components are the ones who’ve had issues with the stock suspensions. Until Toyota provides an actual response to this question, my guess is just that. I could be totally wrong, and there could be a faulty component in the suspension, but I think we’d be hearing from way more actual owners if this was the case rather than a handful of YouTube experts. I know from my own experience that the suspension seems to handle light to moderate off roading without issue, and it’s very compliant on the road too, but again, that’s just me!
That’s probably good advice. I really like the stock suspension and I’ve definitely put it through the paces (not abuse like Icon did, I watched the videos) and it’s proven to be very capable. I do have 33s on it though and I want a small lift just to make it not look so slammed and get a little extra clearance in the front and for a larger spare tire in the rear.

Last edited: