Sponsored

Finally test drove a Hybrid...

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
...and I was pretty impressed. Impressed enough that I'm canceling my hold on a non-hybrid and will wait for what I want. I was curious about how the hybrid assist worked, and it's definitely not a standard setup. It kicks in on any type of acceleration, but as soon as you let off, it goes back to just the engine. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have the graphics of a full hybrid, which show how all the components are working, whether it's charging or driving the wheels. There's just a gauge, essentially like a fuel gauge, that shows the charge level. And yes, there is little to no storage in the back, only what you can squeeze behind the backrest. It was a sport and loaded for bear: black exhaust, upgraded road lights, bed step, etc. Listed at $59K. Finally, as far as Tacomas selling? When we returned from the drive, there were three people getting ready to test drive. I could also hear them pointing out the Sport and mentioning it as an option if I wasn't interested. I'm not.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I thought that you might be settling for the non-hybrid, since a hybrid is what you wanted originally, right?

Some people probably don't really care, but I know just from the specs that the hybrid is what I want. There is nothing wrong with the base engine, but I am a performance oriented guy and I can't pass up such a strong engine in my new truck.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I thought that you might be settling for the non-hybrid, since a hybrid is what you wanted originally, right?

Some people probably don't really care, but I know just from the specs that the hybrid is what I want. There is nothing wrong with the base engine, but I am a performance oriented guy and I can't pass up such a strong engine in my new truck.
You’re me: if I am spending a ridiculous amount on a new vehicle, I cannot get the lower trims. I don’t like knowing I could’ve spent a few grand more for options I actually use! If I am gonna spend a significant amount of time in a car, I want all the toys.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
...and I was pretty impressed. Impressed enough that I'm canceling my hold on a non-hybrid and will wait for what I want. I was curious about how the hybrid assist worked, and it's definitely not a standard setup. It kicks in on any type of acceleration, but as soon as you let off, it goes back to just the engine. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have the graphics of a full hybrid, which show how all the components are working, whether it's charging or driving the wheels. There's just a gauge, essentially like a fuel gauge, that shows the charge level. And yes, there is little to no storage in the back, only what you can squeeze behind the backrest. It was a sport and loaded for bear: black exhaust, upgraded road lights, bed step, etc. Listed at $59K. Finally, as far as Tacomas selling? When we returned from the drive, there were three people getting ready to test drive. I could also hear them pointing out the Sport and mentioning it as an option if I wasn't interested. I'm not.
I’m been trying to tell people

Use inventory search btw. Many hybrids already marked down if you don’t need a th or pro

OP
OP
WKTJR1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax

You're absolutely correct. I started to get impatient, mainly because I have a buyer for my Tundra. He's patient, but I don't want to push it since he's paying what I want. I might have to haul trash in my wife's Lexus to fill the gap between trucks.

Secondly, I'm getting frustrated with Massachusetts dealers who delay and then tell me it's sold. I know the reasons; Massachusetts has unusual rules that if you sell to out-of-state buyers, you literally have to go over the state line to sign and receive the vehicle outside of Massachusetts. I know this because years ago, I was working with a Massachusetts dealer who explained it to me but was willing to do it. It's happened twice so far.

I have a deposit on a Limited in build status. I told them red with no options. The crazy thing is they want to charge me over MSRP. I have no intention of paying that because it won't arrive until mid-September at the earliest, and the market will have changed by then anyway. I'm now open to any non-halo model that meets my specs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WKTJR1

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
There is nothing wrong with the base engine, but I am a performance oriented guy and I can't pass up such a strong engine in my new truck.
I'm get it. I will be going from a Tundra with a tune and a tuned exhaust to a I4 with a turbo. No finer sound than that V8 yelling a full throat. But I still have my Lexus. Classic American Muscle car scenario, small car, big engine. Five liter rated at 416hp in stock form. It's not stock.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
My 5.7 liter Tundra has a TRD true dual exhaust, and it makes some pretty fine sounds of its own.

A lot of people are whining about losing the V6, and I am moving from a glorious V8 to a I4. The Taco hybrid is an engine for today and a fine example of an ICE which I will be proud to own, but it seems like those days are coming to an end.

That IS F is a fine machine which I am sure you are proud to own as well.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
ICE engines absolutely are not coming to an end anytime soon, especially for Toyota. This whole ev thing is an absolute failed experiment . Hybrid tech along with possible hydrogen internal combustion engines are the future

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
ICE engines absolutely are not coming to an end anytime soon, especially for Toyota.
I totally agree based on my wife's new electric SUV. It is a great car to drive and loaded with cool tech but only useful for around town or trips less than 50-60 miles away. Electric cars are great but until battery tech improves they will only ever be niche vehicles IMO.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I totally agree based on my wife's new electric SUV. It is a great car to drive and loaded with cool tech but only useful for around town or trips less than 50-60 miles away. Electric cars are great but until battery tech improves they will only ever be niche vehicles IMO.
Yup it’s a fantasy to think electric cars can replace ICE. I can think of hundreds of scenarios that make it impossible or practical with the technology and infrastructure currently available . The cost to the tax payer to completely revamp our country to accommodate all electric vehicles would destroy out economy

Sponsored

lakerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
THe pirates are busy chopping off the electric chords on the power stations, one way or another electric powers not going to happen.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Electric vehicles are not going to happen in general because most buyers don't want them once they understand the limitations.

I'm not sure what happens in states like California and Colorado which have mandated all electrics in the future. I predict high used values for our ICE vehicle and a crash in new vehicle sales. I also don't know what happens with the manufacturers who have announce all electric lineups in the near future. They will either have to backtrack or compete for just the small market out there for full electrics.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
Haha oh boy. The comments in here are… something

Reminds me of something a friend said to me about 20 years ago. “I can’t wait until this computer fad passes.”
Sponsored