Sponsored

Frozen Tailgate

GPTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Premium
So living in Northern Canada is always challenging for weather, it rained all day Saturday and turned cooler Sunday followed by snow Sunday mid afternoon and overnight.
This lead to a frozen tailgate this morning after removing 10cm of the white stuff off my tonneau cover.
I was eventually able to coax it open by gently pushing pulling, there was some ice grabbing between cover and top to tailgate.
Hopefully this won't be an ongoing issue throughout the winter months.
Sponsored

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
Yes it will be an on going issue depending on conditions. I usually put a bit of silicone grease on the weather stripping of the cover. It doesn't cure the problem but may help a bit.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So living in Northern Canada is always challenging for weather, it rained all day Saturday and turned cooler Sunday followed by snow Sunday mid afternoon and overnight.
This lead to a frozen tailgate this morning after removing 10cm of the white stuff off my tonneau cover.
I was eventually able to coax it open by gently pushing pulling, there was some ice grabbing between cover and top to tailgate.
Hopefully this won't be an ongoing issue throughout the winter months.
Wondering if you have determined your truck has the windshield wiper de-icer? The elements are supposed to be in the glass where the wipers park and is turned on with the rear window defroster.

OP
OP
GPTaco

GPTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Premium
Honestly I haven't looked, my wife has that feature on her Outlander, it works awesome. I'll check and see.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's 15 rav4 had it and you could see the elements in the glass. Can't see them on my truck..it's a Canadian Sport+.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
My Tundra had the wiper glass defroster but you could not see any elements in the glass. Not sure how that works, but it was a huge help when Ohio got its rain/ice/snow storms.

OP
OP
GPTaco

GPTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Premium
I took a closer look at my windshield but the lower section is all black so no obvious way to tell, the owners manual mentions this feature but states " if equipped" so I'll have to wait until it snows again and watch to see if it melts when I turn on the defrost function for mirrors/rear window.
As mine is a sport premium I would hope it came with this option but I really don't know.
Sponsored