Hardwire solution for dash cam.

rem2582

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
Has anyone attempted to hardwire a dash cam from the battery terminal? I’ve read that a fuse tap in the fuse box hasn’t enough clearance to put the cover back on. I’m currently using my ODB port for my THINKWARE U3000 front and rear camera. I would love to hardwire a power cell battery for powering cameras.
Sponsored

Squashed Target

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 TRD OR Prem Solar Octane

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
Has anyone attempted to hardwire a dash cam from the battery terminal? I’ve read that a fuse tap in the fuse box hasn’t enough clearance to put the cover back on. I’m currently using my ODB port for my THINKWARE U3000 front and rear camera. I would love to hardwire a power cell battery for powering cameras.
I just ordered the exact same dash cam and I am wondering why you want to hardwire to battery or fuse block instead of keeping it installed via the OBDII port? I have the Thinkware U1000 in my current vehicle connected via the OBDII and have had no issues.

OP
OP
rem2582

rem2582

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
Yes I have. I actually have a 10 pin Dongar adapter. It doesn’t take care of parking mode. I need power when vehicle is off.
I just ordered the exact same dash cam and I am wondering why you want to hardwire to battery or fuse block instead of keeping it installed via the OBDII port? I have the Thinkware U1000 in my current vehicle connected via the OBDII and have had no issues.
I have ordered a Blackbox Powercell battery pack that I want to use. https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produ...-dash-cam-battery-pack?variant=39468579913783. The ODBII port works beautifully but I worry about draining the battery.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma Limited
You can set the Thinkware to turn off after x amount of hours or at x battery voltage. You can also turn it off manually when parking in a secure area like your garage….at least I could do all of this on the U1000. As for draining the battery, my U1000 was installed when my MDX was new, the OEM battery lasted 3 years and was replaced under warranty when it died.
Sponsored