Sponsored

How important is the break in before highway driving?

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
Just drive it normally. Don’t over think it. I have 6000 miles on my TRD off road and have had zero problems. Changed the oil at 750 miles and at 5000 miles

No disrespect, but you won't see issues from a lack of break in for several years. I understand the need for break in, was just trying to figure out how best to do it with my long drive home.
Sponsored

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Pre-Runner
No disrespect, but you won't see issues from a lack of break in for several years. I understand the need for break in, was just trying to figure out how best to do it with my long drive home.
From what I'm seeing here and at Tacoma world you might want to spend the first three or four hours doing short 10-20 mile runs at varying speeds, then taking a break to allow cooling down. Some comments claimed that the first hundred miles could make the difference between living with a "normal" differential whine or not.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Drive it like you stole it. It'll be fine.:LOL:

Whiskey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm kicking myself because I've never heard of a break-in period until today (this is my first brand new vehicle). The dealer didn't mention anything despite knowing I was going to be traveling 700 miles the next day. And it was mostly at 80 mph with cruise control on, all in the same day.

That being said, is there anything I can do to mitigate any damage I may have caused? Maybe do the recommended break-in actions for a few hundred miles or get an early oil change? And is there any specific damage I should watch out for down the line?

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
I'm kicking myself because I've never heard of a break-in period until today (this is my first brand new vehicle). The dealer didn't mention anything despite knowing I was going to be traveling 700 miles the next day. And it was mostly at 80 mph with cruise control on, all in the same day.

That being said, is there anything I can do to mitigate any damage I may have caused? Maybe do the recommended break-in actions for a few hundred miles or get an early oil change? And is there any specific damage I should watch out for down the line?
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just drive it normally for the next several hundred miles. If it really concerns you, just keep checking the oil levels.

Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Funny how the internet has so many experts but not one of the many have the same answer :cwl:

As you can see OP no one has the answer so you do you. I think you will know how to not abuse it and break it in. Enjoy the drive.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Funny how the internet has so many experts but not one of the many have the same answer :cwl:

As you can see OP no one has the answer so you do you. I think you will know how to not abuse it and break it in. Enjoy the drive.
I am an expert and a professional. I worked very hard for my certifications. There was some helpful suggestions for break in procedures including the actual Toyota guideline. Then we have you a non owner with a response that is aimed at everyone In a negative way. 24 Tacoma owners helping each other is nice for us owners to share advice suggestions and experience. Maybe leave us owners to discuss amongst ourselves. Think real hard about how you do you around the proud owners just trying to help each other with there 24 Tacoma.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
And just like that you have become “That guy“. Curious to see from now on how you doing and saying as you wish will be beneficial to the 24 Tacoma owners. I am waiting to really see how you do you.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Pre-Runner

As WKTJR1 said, don't lose any sleep over it. Nothing's going to fall apart. Lots of people do the same thing (most people, and pretty much ALL salespeople have no clue about things like this anymore). I don't think it's nearly the issue it was back in dinosaur days when some of us were rebuilding engines in the back yard.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is your engineering basis to make a statement that it isn't a big deal. I am an engineer and don't see any facts or data to support your position. I would like to see what data you are using to define your position or are you just expressing an opinion based on how you feel?

Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)

Dont lose any sleep over it. Unless you were driving like a crazy person or like I did when I was 16 then you will be fine.
What is your engineering basis to make a statement that it isn't a big deal. I am an engineer and don't see any facts or data to support your position. I would like to see what data you are using to define your position or are you just expressing an opinion based on how you feel?
For me no “engineering basis” and not sure what that would do anyways unless you were the actual engineer of this specific motor and could explain exactly. However for me my experience is owning about 15 brand new cars in my lifetime. Never been an issue once to just get in and drive them. Sure I take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so but that is it.

Also have you ever worked at a dealer? Have you seen what people do test driving? How about the mechanics that get in your car first? If there was actually a break in “rule” and if you didn’t follow that rule there would be consequences then just about every car on the road would have issues. The first dozen miles or so the car is driven worse than I will ever drive it.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Picking up my truck Monday in Boise and driving 850 miles (12 hr) home to Denver.

So if I vary the speed from 55 to 75 for the first 500 miles will that be sufficient? Maybe every 10 minutes slow down to 55 for 10 minutes and then back up to 75. Then stop every couple of hours to get slower speeds on on/off ramps?

any benefit to put it in manual mode and use 1 gear lower to change the throttle? Not excessive RPMs, but would step it up a bit until shifted back
My '99 4Runner had a 960 mi drive home from dealer. For sure I got passed a lot but it was not hard to vary speed limit or RPM plus get gentle brake use in. Some side trips from freeway and main roads made it easier and interesting. The vehicle had an incredibly long life of reliable service.

The '24 TRD OR we just got was an hour from home but I had to do a freeway trip right away and it was easy to vary speed of vehicle and engine.

You should be able to see the cross hatch marks in your brake rotors and they will become round with the rotors. That's a visible way to watch your break-in happening. The slow, and alt sorts of initial driving helped me learn the many and at times annoying dash menu options and settings.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont lose any sleep over it. Unless you were driving like a crazy person or like I did when I was 16 then you will be fine.

For me no “engineering basis” and not sure what that would do anyways unless you were the actual engineer of this specific motor and could explain exactly. However for me my experience is owning about 15 brand new cars in my lifetime. Never been an issue once to just get in and drive them. Sure I take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so but that is it.

Also have you ever worked at a dealer? Have you seen what people do test driving? How about the mechanics that get in your car first? If there was actually a break in “rule” and if you didn’t follow that rule there would be consequences then just about every car on the road would have issues. The first dozen miles or so the car is driven worse than I will ever drive it.
The first dozen miles don't make an impact compared to several hundred at the same time. Getting to temp, staying at temp over that short time while metals and coatings adjust is what it is about.

We all have to do what we feel comfortable with. Glad you are happy with what you are doing, that is what is important.

I built spacecraft for a living and we have to thermal cycle, vibrate and thermal cycle again over several months to make sure everything works. That experience and what the automotive engineers say is what make me happy with what I plan to do today when I pick up my truck.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got home after a 12 hour drive and thinking about it as I was driving, I didn't have any engineering data supporting what I was doing. It felt right based on my experience and comments here, but still it was because it felt right, so I will back off a bit from my previous post. There is good data on the need for break in, just not exactly supporting what we do to break it in.

So I drove it for 15 minutes and then let it cool a mix of highway and street. Then 200 miles changing the speed from 55 to 75 every few minutes. Then switching to Manual and downshifting to 7 then 6. Then let it cool down for 20 minutes

For the next 300 miles I didn't shift in manual, just tried to keep changing speed from 60 to 80 (That was the speed limit). Then let it cool down for 20 minutes

The remaining 350 miles home I didn't use cruise control and varied the speed a bit because construction on the highway and then when I got to 700 miles, I just drove 75-85 :)

It has an amazing amount of power for the non Hybrid. I was at 2200 rpm at 85 mph

12 hour drive from Boise. Man I am tired

2024 Tacoma How important is the break in before highway driving? 1721711381097-tx

Reactions: MJE