Sponsored

How important is the break in before highway driving?

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
A few posts mention 'thermal cycling' during break-in. It's currently summer, but I wonder if turning the heater on max every so often if your bringing your new truck home on the highway would help with this cycling. You would be dumping excess heat from the engine.
Sponsored

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Pre-Runner
I think thermal cycling would be getting the engine fully warmed up, then shutting down until it cools. I doubt that running the heat cools the engine significantly.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
Just drive it, no sudden stops, no full throttle and vary your speed on the highway for the first 1,000 miles.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Just drive it, no sudden stops, no full throttle and vary your speed on the highway for the first 1,000 miles.
That is exactly what Toyota recommends in the owners manual. Yah you will have to just drive it. How you drive it for first 1000 miles can have unforeseen consequences in the lifetime of your vehicle. You could get lucky or you could be left stranded. Break in procedure is a touchy subject. Some say send it! have to seat the rings! Others say extreme baby steps. And then like you mentioned exactly what Toyota recommends is outlined for owners.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
That is exactly what Toyota recommends in the owners manual. Yah you will have to just drive it. How you drive it for first 1000 miles can have unforeseen consequences in the lifetime of your vehicle. You could get lucky or you could be left stranded. Break in procedure is a touchy subject. Some say send it! have to seat the rings! Others say extreme baby steps. And then like you mentioned exactly what Toyota recommends is outlined for owners.
And NO TOWING during the initial 1,000 miles!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
Crap, now I have to try to put another 800 miles on it before i tow an ATV with it in two weeks. Completely forgot about the break in. Thankfully only had to highway drive 78 miles to get it home from the dealer. How terrible would it be if I tow something before the 1k miles?

Anyone know where in the manual it discusses break in procedure? I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I have yet to take mine above 65mph. I have 650 miles on mine and I just drive around town at varying speeds and Rpmā€™s like the Manuel says. Hills, flat roads, down hills. Iā€™m really trying to break this truck in and keep it for a long long time

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I have yet to take mine above 65mph. I have 650 miles on mine and I just drive around town at varying speeds and Rpmā€™s like the Manuel says. Hills, flat roads, down hills. Iā€™m really trying to break this truck in and keep it for a long long time
.357 or 38 Special?

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yeah, what a stupid picture to post on here.
Sponsored