Sponsored

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6’ bed
Installed a new set of hydraulic hood assist rams today from Rough Country. Took about 3/4 of an hour. I have the hood insulation on my Sport Premium so had to romove some clips and it took a bit longer. Should have come with something like this system from the factory ( maybe in 2025?). Far better than the old prop rod.

2024 Tacoma Hydraulic struts hood assist system installed IMG_3976
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Looks good. I will do the same. You said your sport premium came with that hood insulation? I hope mine does.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Just curious...what's wrong with the tried and true prop rod? It'll never lose pressure, leak or try to spring open at 80 mph on a hot day.

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious...what's wrong with the tried and true prop rod? It'll never lose pressure, leak or try to spring open at 80 mph on a hot day.
Absolutely correct. But It is just something I like. Had them in my 2 nd gen. I always found the prop rod got in the way when I wanted to do anything on the engine. Just personal preference I guess.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
It'll never lose pressure, leak or try to spring open at 80 mph on a hot day.
I mean I have had them in about 15 cars, hundreds of thousands of miles and none of those things ever happened. You better keep your radio turned off, it my spark and cause a fire while you are driving 55 down the road.

Sponsored

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Absolutely correct. But It is just something I like. Had them in my 2 nd gen. I always found the prop rod got in the way when I wanted to do anything on the engine. Just personal preference I guess.
Great answer. I honestly didn't know if there was an issue with the prop rods on these. I've never owned a toyota truck so this was helpful.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
OP, can you give info on your hood insulation? Where did you get it, and have you noticed differences since installing it?

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hood insulation came as part of my premium package. I can’t say if it’s really made a difference as I haven’t driven one without the insulation. I don’t know if it really serves a purpose ( maybe a bit sound-wise) and to tell you, the truth it is rather flimsy. It was a little challenging, taking out the clips without breaking the insulation, but I managed to do it.

Jdunlap12

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Installed a new set of hydraulic hood assist rams today from Rough Country. Took about 3/4 of an hour. I have the hood insulation on my Sport Premium so had to romove some clips and it took a bit longer. Should have come with something like this system from the factory ( maybe in 2025?). Far better than the old prop rod.

IMG_3976.jpeg
Is there a part number on your hood insulation?

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry it was part of the premium package so I do not have a separate part number for the insulation. I wll do a little research and try to find out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I did some research on this hood insulation piece. Keep in mind that I am up here in Canada so we are talking Canadian dollars. Part # up here is 53341-AK010. Price ( are you sitting down?)-$741.86 plus tax!!!!! ( just for that one piece of insulation!!)

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry jdunlap12, just noticed your last post. Seems to be the same part #.

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
My wife's car has prop rods, my Toyota truck does not. I can open her hood one handed and mine takes two. I often have something in my hand such as a flashlight, jumper cables, etc.

Prop rods are nice and I wish they came stock like they do on the Nissan.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Is drilling required for these? If so I’m good with the prop.
My old American cars required neither a prop rod or hydraulic shocks that would fail. I remember in the 80’s first seeing imports with prop rods and thinking, “how cheap”. Suppose I was right as it became pretty much the standard.
Sponsored