I don’t understand the hype

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
This is your first Tacoma @TacoScott, but is it your first truck?

The hype for the new generation Tacoma has brought in a lot of first time truck buyers. There are several vehicles that look like trucks on today's market, but are actually small SUVs with beds, like the Maverick. Those trucks drive and are equipped like the SUVs they were derived from. They tend to be quieter, smoother and have more features than the average midsize truck.

The Tacoma is a different beast and that is why many of us love them. It is still a real body on frame truck, just not huge like the current full sized trucks. As a truck it has a more direct ride and feel and although the amenities are increased over earlier gen Tacos they are not what we expect in an SUV today. Some other real trucks have become more car like, and they don't interest me personally, but might better fill your expectations. Have you looked at a Ridgeline?

So what you see as Tacoma drawbacks, are what makes a lot of us love them. They are still trucks and so they are tools to do a job, not a cushy SUV with a bed. The 4th gen Tacoma is about as car like as a truck can get and still keep me interested.

I think you just bought the wrong vehicle Scott. You should consider trading it on something that better meets your expectations, rather than keeping it and hating it.

Trucks are not for everyone, but for those of us who love them, the Taco is still the class act of the midsize truck market.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand

full gas tank = only 289 miles

18 mpg not ideal

No unlock button on tailgate

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

CarPlay/infotainment glitches - changes music source or turns off

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

Manual seats on a 45k vehicle?

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Anyone have anything to help talk me off the ledge?
Not sure what else to say except for these seem like discoveries and gripes about stuff we had figured out well before making the purchase, and from testing the competition with plenty of alternatives.

Our CarPlay battery use seems same for the same apps, and the wireless charging is much like our wired but USB-A lower watt vehicle. The wireless CarPlay acts just like other late models including 2000 miles in a rented Jeep brand earlier in the year.

Now broken in, most of our driving a TRD OR matches or exceeds EPA rating unless at high speed, big headwinds, and heavy load.

TRD OR long bed even with upgrade package can be had for little more than what you paid, and we tested SR5 too. All the vehicles we tested that were well regarded reflected recent inflation. If history repeats itself, even if we paid a little more for another Toyota we'll more than get it back in a few or many years.

Good luck.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
If history repeats itself, even if we paid a little more for another Toyota we'll more than get it back in a few or many years.
That is something to keep in mind, because retained value in Toyota trucks is amazing.

I drove a nicely equipped Tundra for almost 14 years and finally traded it on my Tacoma. The trade price was over 50% of what I originally paid, and Tacomas have always held their value better than even Tundras.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Serious question here, what are people storing in there cars or trucks that requires more storage space?

I know my wife always has a trunk full of clothes "going to get donated" 😂

Get a tonneau cover or shell and you'll have lots of space.

Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is something to keep in mind, because retained value in Toyota trucks is amazing.

I drove a nicely equipped Tundra for almost 14 years and finally traded it on my Tacoma. The trade price was over 50% of what I originally paid, and Tacomas have always held their value better than even Tundras.
Our Toyota car and two vans had fantastic resale premium in addition to few problems just like our 4x4 experience. If each time was paying $1000 - $3000 more up front, the resale with overall lack of problems was like getting $3000 to $10,000+ payback. None of 5 Toyotas has had the $ up to thousands of expenses in 9 to 22 year spans of age.
Serious question here, what are people storing in there cars or trucks that requires more storage space?

I know my wife always has a trunk full of clothes "going to get donated" 😂

Get a tonneau cover or shell and you'll have lots of space.
We tested other pickups, wagons, SUVs, and several makes for almost two years before getting the gen4 Tacoma. While the interior might look unconventional, we found it has storage and works well.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did but coming from an suv I was expecting it to be different and should be able to get used to it.
Hard to know where you’re going to store change and other random things like that. Aside from the cosmetics though, not sure I can get used to the engine lag
That is maybe the hardest to understand within your complaints. I definitely made sure I followed break in period instructions but right away and in test rides the performance was as good or better than competitors and especially in normal mode vs eco.

It is a light truck of body on frame type. For that type of construction they are solid, quiet and nicely quick. It makes me think you could have expectations for a traditionally constructed pickup truck to be like a car or unibody CarUV type that might be quite different.

Thought we TRD OR, test rides were done in SR5 just for availability and one that was long bed. They were very nice mid trim type vehicles. We only had two gripes for SR5 - no locker axle and my wife very much preferred the Sport or TRD upgrade and premium package seating.

tacoboutit

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EXL
dude those costco & starbucks hauls you need those cupholders lol.

I personally love the interior of my Trailhunter, but I upgraded from a 23 year old full size. I sold a kidney for this truck, but yea whatever, they're expensive. Work hard play hard, don't waste too much time picking apart a Sport Rally 5 trim. Upgrade to a premium package and get back out there 🤙🏽
That is my thinking too. I did my time in the civic I drive now. I get that the TH is overpriced. I don't care. I'm a single nurse. Not a lot of expenses either, so I treated myself to what amounts to a toy. Lol. I work hard so I am gonna play hard, damn it!

Tungstenisw

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD OR
I did but coming from an suv I was expecting it to be different and should be able to get used to it.
Hard to know where you’re going to store change and other random things like that. Aside from the cosmetics though, not sure I can get used to the engine lag
What engine lag?
This may be a specific issue with your truck. I have a TRD OR and am impressed with the lack of any lag (I actually think the truck is quick and fun to drive/punch it).

I am wondering if your truck may have an issue that is causing engine lag, because this seems unusual.

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited
This is your first Tacoma @TacoScott, but is it your first truck?

The hype for the new generation Tacoma has brought in a lot of first time truck buyers. There are several vehicles that look like trucks on today's market, but are actually small SUVs with beds, like the Maverick. Those trucks drive and are equipped like the SUVs they were derived from. They tend to be quieter, smoother and have more features than the average midsize truck.

The Tacoma is a different beast and that is why many of us love them. It is still a real body on frame truck, just not huge like the current full sized trucks. As a truck it has a more direct ride and feel and although the amenities are increased over earlier gen Tacos they are not what we expect in an SUV today. Some other real trucks have become more car like, and they don't interest me personally, but might better fill your expectations. Have you looked at a Ridgeline?

So what you see as Tacoma drawbacks, are what makes a lot of us love them. They are still trucks and so they are tools to do a job, not a cushy SUV with a bed. The 4th gen Tacoma is about as car like as a truck can get and still keep me interested.

I think you just bought the wrong vehicle Scott. You should consider trading it on something that better meets your expectations, rather than keeping it and hating it.

Trucks are not for everyone, but for those of us who love them, the Taco is still the class act of the midsize truck market.
I dont consider the Ridgeline a real truck. They are goofy.

Sponsored

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited

But they used to be alot more reliable and had better build quality.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Op, I have found that tilting the fuel dispensing handle more upright after fuel shutoff and depressing the lever can yield another 1.25 gallons after “automatic” fuel dispensing shutoff. Others on this forum have mentioned the fuel dispenser shutoff frustration. In my opinion, this is my only true gripe with the truck- and that is fine I now read 345 miles
On fill up sometimes and that number changes upon driving style and highway vs city, wind.. etc. write your mileage down and fuel consumption when filling up. The truck exceeds epa spec if driven in a mellow way. I would recommend driving different model options next time to get a better idea of what you are about to invest in.

Tungstenisw

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD OR
this has to be a troll. I dont believe any of this for a second.
The bit about the engine lag made me think this too....anyone who owns one and drives it knows its got virtually zero lag primarily due to the low end torque.

This truck has actually less lag off the line than my Turbo Mazda Cx-30.

WDBGR

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Op, go drive a 2 Door JL, you will appreciate the truck. I had a 4Runner, got the Jeep…only drove it 2000 miles in 2.5 years. Drives great but cramped and no space for anything. I haven’t picked up my new Tacoma yet but I did drive one with similar features. My biggest disappointment was loss of storage under the rear seat because of the battery. If you hate it this bad now, it will only get worse.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
But they used to be alot more reliable and had better build quality.
It is way too early in the life of a 4th gen Taco to say whether they will be reliable or not. A few early problems in a totally new design does not mean much in the long run.

I have seen some of the build quality issues and they are not normal for a Toyota. But some issues can be expected on a new design and my truck has only one and it will be easily fixed. The bed side top cap does not fit right on the driver's side and the replacement is already on order. Other than that it is built as well as any of my previous Toyotas.

So it will take a while to see how resale values hold up on 4th gens, but I think they will still retain more value than the competition.
Sponsored